Toshiba e805 Failure

June 9, 2004 9:49:54 PM

Just thought I'd let everyone know about an apparent hardware failure of a
new e805 I recently purchased...

Based on user comments, features, and reviews, on 4-22-04 I ordered an e805
from www.outpost.com for $549.99 as an upgrade to my trusty old Cassiopeia
E-125 I've been using daily for several years. Initially I've been very
pleased with the e805, except I wish it had Bluetooth in addition to WiFi.
It's a huge step up in both speed and features from my old Casio. The only
small nit-pick I could find with my e805 is the little rubber door (flap
really) on the bottom of the unit that covers the tiny white battery on/off
switch. This little rubber door doesn't stay seated in the recess provided
for it... the way it's molded and the case is constructed it can't. It
doesn't snap in there. Anyway, it sort of protrudes out slightly on the
bottom of the case just waiting to be caught on something and ripped
completely off someday. A small quality oversight in my mind.

I'm a Purchasing Administrator a factory and I use my PDA heavily at work
all day and it's constantly synced with my work PC. I take it with me to
meetings to jot short notes and tasks as things come to mind. In boring
meetings I catch up on reading email, news, etc. I have an SD card
installed for extra memory and several 3rd party software applications
(love the Resco products). I take it home each night and on weekends so I
have access to important files, contacts and telephone numbers in case
emergencies arrive. It's an extension of my work PC when I'm not at my
desk.

As usual, last Friday before leaving work I tucked it into its padded
leather case and didn't touch it again until Monday morning when I once
again arrived back at work. When I pulled it out of the case, the unit had
an appointment notice on the screen which I attempted to "dismiss." After
tapping the screen to clear the appointment, the unit froze and would not
accept any additional screen or key inputs.

Not overly concerned (yet), I performed a soft reset, the unit seemed to
reboot as normal, but then it immediately rebooted itself again and
ultimately froze. I attempted several more soft resets without any
response. With a sinking feeling I next tried a hard reset and this
initially seemed to do the trick. The unit rebooted, the initial welcome
screen appeared, and it went through the stylus recalibration. Of course
now I had a freshly initialized unit and had lost all of my settings and
3rd party software, etc.

Not to worry I though... since I had the unit set to automatically do a
full backup to the SD card at 1:00am each Sunday morning, I had a fresh
backup file to restore from. I did the restore, and after resyncing with my
PC, almost everything seemed back to normal. I did loose a few custom
settings with some 3rd part applications that weren't restored for some
reason.

When using the newly restored unit, almost right away I started
experiencing somewhat unpredictable soft-resets not initialed by me. These
resets would sometimes occur when I'd close an application (tap the circled
"X" in the upper right corner of the application). Over a couple of hours
of use these soft-resets increased in frequency and ultimately evolved into
multiple resets in a row followed by the unit completely freezing with the
screen blank but dimly lit. No matter of screen taps or pressing buttons
would unfreeze the device *except* pressing the recessed soft-reset button.
After a time that didn't work. Finally even hard resets or turning the
battery off and on wouldn't unfreeze the unit.

Oh... the battery was fully charged for all of this.

I called Toshiba tech support this morning, and since I have 319 days left
in my warrantee, they are sending out a prepaid FedEx box to retrieve the
unit to a repair depot. They told me to expect a 3-5 day turn-around upon
receipt of the unit at the depot and they'll pay to ship it back.

In the mean time I've gone back to using my trusty old Cassiopeia while my
fancy expensive new Toshiba sits here waiting to go back home for repair.
Needless to say I'm disappointed that my new e805 only lasted about a
month. I hope I don't have a lemon on my hands!

I'll post an update when I get the e805 back from Toshiba.

Have a nice day,

John L.

More about : toshiba e805 failure

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 1:45:18 AM

Hi John:
I've just sent mine back for the third time:
#1: http://msmvps.com/spiderwebwoman/posts/5480.aspx
#2: http://msmvps.com/spiderwebwoman/posts/6565.aspx
#3: #3: not blogged yet. I put it in my purse and I guess the Record button
got bumped and it recorded for about an hour and locked up. Under battery
power, I couldn't turn it off - every time I turned it off, it turned it
self back on again. I tried two hard resets (at Toshiba's recommendation)
one for 10 minutes and the other for two hours - it didn't fix it. I sent
it back yesterday morning.

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"John A. Landry" <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> [...]
button.
> After a time that didn't work. Finally even hard resets or turning the
> battery off and on wouldn't unfreeze the unit.
>
> Oh... the battery was fully charged for all of this.
>
> I called Toshiba tech support this morning, and since I have 319 days left
> in my warrantee, they are sending out a prepaid FedEx box to retrieve the
> unit to a repair depot. They told me to expect a 3-5 day turn-around upon
> receipt of the unit at the depot and they'll pay to ship it back.
>
> In the mean time I've gone back to using my trusty old Cassiopeia while my
> fancy expensive new Toshiba sits here waiting to go back home for repair.
> Needless to say I'm disappointed that my new e805 only lasted about a
> month. I hope I don't have a lemon on my hands!
>
> I'll post an update when I get the e805 back from Toshiba.

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:25:42 AM

"John A. Landry" <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote in

> I called Toshiba tech support this morning, and since I have 319 days
> left in my warrantee, they are sending out a prepaid FedEx box to
> retrieve the unit to a repair depot. They told me to expect a 3-5 day
> turn-around upon receipt of the unit at the depot and they'll pay to
> ship it back.

UPDATE:

A prepaid FedEx return box arrived today from Toshiba, and my e805 was
picked up this afternoon.

Now we'll see how long this repair / replacement takes!

John L.
June 10, 2004 6:43:57 PM

On 09 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org>
wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:

> I've just sent mine back for the third time:

Kathy (or do you prefer to be called Kathleen),

I read your blog and this certainly isn't the kind of news I wanted to
hear.

I'm hoping this problem isn't a forbearer of a troubled future with my new
Toshiba. I'm hoping maybe some good will come out of this for both of us.
Like maybe since our e805's are getting such great personal attention,
testing, and repair by Toshiba (haha), in the end they should be better
than the average lot off the assembly line... right?

Why do I think not?

John L.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:01:39 PM

John A. Landry <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 09 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]"
> <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:
>
>> I've just sent mine back for the third time:
>
> Kathy (or do you prefer to be called Kathleen),

Kathleen - thanks for asking :-)

> I read your blog and this certainly isn't the kind of news I wanted to
> hear.
>
> I'm hoping this problem isn't a forbearer of a troubled future with
> my new Toshiba. I'm hoping maybe some good will come out of this for
> both of us. Like maybe since our e805's are getting such great
> personal attention, testing, and repair by Toshiba (haha), in the end
> they should be better than the average lot off the assembly line...
> right?
>
> Why do I think not?
>
> John L.

My daughter just called - FedEx delivered my package to her office this
morning. It should be interesting to see if they've repaired it or replaced
it. I'm going to call and see exactly what they did this time.

I'm wondering if there's a "Lemon Law" for PocketPCs?

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Connect to the Newsgroups with Outlook Express
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/index....
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:48:30 PM

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
> John A. Landry <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On 09 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]"
>> <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:
>>
>>> I've just sent mine back for the third time:
>>
>> Kathy (or do you prefer to be called Kathleen),
>
> Kathleen - thanks for asking :-)
>

>> I read your blog and this certainly isn't the kind of news I wanted
>> to hear.
>>
>> I'm hoping this problem isn't a forbearer of a troubled future with
>> my new Toshiba. I'm hoping maybe some good will come out of this for
>> both of us. Like maybe since our e805's are getting such great
>> personal attention, testing, and repair by Toshiba (haha), in the end
>> they should be better than the average lot off the assembly line...
>> right?
>>
>> Why do I think not?
>>
>> John L.
>
> My daughter just called - FedEx delivered my package to her office
> this morning. It should be interesting to see if they've repaired it
> or replaced it. I'm going to call and see exactly what they did this
> time.

I've got the e805 back, charged it up, restored from SD card, and fired up
ActiveSync - so far, so good.

I called Toshiba - they said "we reprogrammed the unit with new software -
the OS". Not Windows Mobile 2003 SE - he said it wasn't available to them
(huh?). He said it was the latest version, with patches, of the original OS
that came with the e805 when I bought it. I checked and it says it's
4.20.1081 (Build 13100). Does this jive with what anyone else is running on
their e805?

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 6:50:41 PM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:43:57 -0000, "John A. Landry"
<gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 09 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org>
>wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:
>
>> I've just sent mine back for the third time:
>
>Kathy (or do you prefer to be called Kathleen),
>
>I read your blog and this certainly isn't the kind of news I wanted to
>hear.
>
>I'm hoping this problem isn't a forbearer of a troubled future with my new
>Toshiba. I'm hoping maybe some good will come out of this for both of us.
>Like maybe since our e805's are getting such great personal attention,
>testing, and repair by Toshiba (haha), in the end they should be better
>than the average lot off the assembly line... right?
>
>Why do I think not?
>
>John L.

Some e805s have problems with the top black plastic piece which causes
constant pressure on the digitizer. Toshiba has a fix for this that
completely corrects the problem for most users. I had mine fixed a
month ago- I sent it to Toshiba on a Monday afternoon and had it back
Thursday morning. No further problems- there's a technical bulletin
on the Toshiba US tech support site.

James Kendrick
www.pocketpctools.com
.....using mobile devices since they weighed 30 lbs.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 6:50:42 PM

James Kendrick <jkendrick@pockpctools.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:43:57 -0000, "John A. Landry"
> <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]"
>> <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:
>>
>>> I've just sent mine back for the third time:
>>
>> Kathy (or do you prefer to be called Kathleen),
>>
>> I read your blog and this certainly isn't the kind of news I wanted
>> to hear.
>>
>> I'm hoping this problem isn't a forbearer of a troubled future with
>> my new Toshiba. I'm hoping maybe some good will come out of this
>> for both of us. Like maybe since our e805's are getting such great
>> personal attention, testing, and repair by Toshiba (haha), in the
>> end they should be better than the average lot off the assembly
>> line... right?
>>
>> Why do I think not?
>>
>> John L.
>
> Some e805s have problems with the top black plastic piece which causes
> constant pressure on the digitizer. Toshiba has a fix for this that
> completely corrects the problem for most users. I had mine fixed a
> month ago- I sent it to Toshiba on a Monday afternoon and had it back
> Thursday morning. No further problems- there's a technical bulletin
> on the Toshiba US tech support site.

James:
I saw that bulletin and I've read about in it some of the other forums. That
*may* be what they did the first time I sent it in for repair - I will try
and find out.

I will say one positive thing about Toshiba's service - they do send the RMA
boxes and return the devices very quickly. I called last Thursday and the
RMA box was delivered on Friday - I dropped it in the FedEx Express drop-off
box Tuesday morning and it's back already on Friday morning.

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Connect to the Newsgroups with Outlook Express
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/index....
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 12:31:05 AM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:48:30 -0400, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]"
<spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:

>Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
>> John A. Landry <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Kathy (or do you prefer to be called Kathleen),
>>
>> Kathleen - thanks for asking :-)
>>

>>> I read your blog and this certainly isn't the kind of news I wanted
>>> to hear.
>>>
>>> I'm hoping this problem isn't a forbearer of a troubled future with
>>> my new Toshiba. I'm hoping maybe some good will come out of this for
>>> both of us. Like maybe since our e805's are getting such great
>>> personal attention, testing, and repair by Toshiba (haha), in the end
>>> they should be better than the average lot off the assembly line...
>>> right?
>>>
>>> Why do I think not?
>>>
>>> John L.
>>
>> My daughter just called - FedEx delivered my package to her office
>> this morning. It should be interesting to see if they've repaired it
>> or replaced it. I'm going to call and see exactly what they did this
>> time.
>>

>I've got the e805 back, charged it up, restored from SD card, and fired up
>ActiveSync - so far, so good.
>
>I called Toshiba - they said "we reprogrammed the unit with new software -
>the OS". Not Windows Mobile 2003 SE - he said it wasn't available to them
>(huh?). He said it was the latest version, with patches, of the original OS
>that came with the e805 when I bought it. I checked and it says it's
>4.20.1081 (Build 13100). Does this jive with what anyone else is running on
>their e805?

Kathleen,

This is correct. Toshiba had an internal OS update in Dec. 2003 that
was never released to the public. It was used when needed in cases
like yours. The WM2003 SE update that has been on the EU Toshiba web
site for about 3 weeks has still NOT been released in the US. There's
all sorts of links to it and I've in fact upgraded mine.

James Kendrick
www.pocketpctools.com
.....using mobile devices since they weighed 30 lbs.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 12:31:06 AM

In message <vg5kc01tgdut8paiitvo9t3jrkqskj3gt9@4ax.com>, James Kendrick
<jkendrick@pockpctools.com> wrote:

The WM2003 SE update that has been on the EU Toshiba web
> site for about 3 weeks has still NOT been released in the US. There's
> all sorts of links to it and I've in fact upgraded mine.

I don't know why, but Toshiba always seems to release patches and upgrades
on the European site first. Whan I had an e740 and an e755 after that, I always
got my patches and updates from tha European site. They usually don't show
up one the U.S. site for months.

Don
--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

James Kendrick <jkendrick@pockpctools.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:48:30 -0400, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]"
> <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:

>>> Kathleen - thanks for asking :-)

>>> My daughter just called - FedEx delivered my package to her office
>>> this morning. It should be interesting to see if they've repaired it
>>> or replaced it. I'm going to call and see exactly what they did this
>>> time.
>>>

>> I've got the e805 back, charged it up, restored from SD card, and
>> fired up ActiveSync - so far, so good.
>>
>> I called Toshiba - they said "we reprogrammed the unit with new
>> software - the OS". Not Windows Mobile 2003 SE - he said it wasn't
>> available to them (huh?). He said it was the latest version, with
>> patches, of the original OS that came with the e805 when I bought
>> it. I checked and it says it's
>> 4.20.1081 (Build 13100). Does this jive with what anyone else is
>> running on their e805?
>
> Kathleen,
>
> This is correct. Toshiba had an internal OS update in Dec. 2003 that
> was never released to the public. It was used when needed in cases
> like yours. The WM2003 SE update that has been on the EU Toshiba web
> site for about 3 weeks has still NOT been released in the US. There's
> all sorts of links to it and I've in fact upgraded mine.

Well, whatever this OS update is, it did not solve the problem. I am sitting
here watching the thing turn itself off and then turn itself on, over and
over again (while I'm on hold waiting for Toshiba Tech Support to pick up -
I've been on hold for 30 minutes).

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:05:32 PM

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
> Well, whatever this OS update is, it did not solve the problem. I am
> sitting here watching the thing turn itself off and then turn itself
> on, over and over again (while I'm on hold waiting for Toshiba Tech
> Support to pick up - I've been on hold for 30 minutes).

Toshiba is replacing my e805 - they are sending a box to collect the broken
one and will send a new one as soon as they get the old one back.

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 9:09:52 PM

On 13 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org>
wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:

> Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Well, whatever this OS update is, it did not solve the problem. I am
>> sitting here watching the thing turn itself off and then turn itself
>> on, over and over again (while I'm on hold waiting for Toshiba Tech
>> Support to pick up - I've been on hold for 30 minutes).
>
> Toshiba is replacing my e805 - they are sending a box to collect the
> broken one and will send a new one as soon as they get the old one
> back.

Kathleen,

I just got my e805 back this morning via FedEx.

To recap:

I called Toshiba tech support on Monday of last week - the return box
arrived on Tuesday - was shipped out Tuesday evening - came back today
(Monday a week later).

Today:

I opened the box, checked the serial number on the unit to verify it was
the original one I sent them. It was.. it hadn't been replaced.

Slid the white battery switch to the left - the blue shade boot screen
appeared - multicolored "wait" symbol briefly appeared - "tap-to-start"
welcome screen appears with chime sounding - align screen appears. I'm
thinking so far so good! Unfortunately my luck runs out when I attempted
to go through the alignment screen.

I immediately noticed the unit was sluggish and unresponsive when I would
touch the screen with the cursor to confirm an alignment point. At some
points I had to tap and/or press the alignment point 8 or more times
before the cursor would move on to the next spot. When I finally made it
through all of the alignment points, the alignment function started
over... and over... and over... and over... apparently stuck in an
endless loop! Getting through each alignment process was frustrating
because of the sluggishness and lack of response.

I tried a soft reset several times... no better. Tried turning the
battery switch off and on... no difference. Tried it with the AC adapter
plugged in... no help either.

Called Toshiba tech support again and got the same guy as the first time
(Rick). I asked what they'd done the first time the unit was in for
repair and he said their notes indicated they couldn't find anything
wrong with it (huh?) and they simply "re-imaged" the unit (re-flashed the
firmware). He thought the next time they'd start by replacing the touch
screen.

When I asked him about multi-returns like this, he said he rarely hears
of it on this mondel. He was very apologetic for the situation and said
he hoped the repair facility wouldn't be too upset about the nasty note
he wrote them in the computer.

So now I wait for another prepaid return box to arrive tomorrow. [sigh]

Do I smell just a hint of lemon in the air?

Have a great day,

John - still using his slow old Cassiopeia E125 - Landry
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:13:50 PM

As much as I HATE Toshiba support and have stated that many many times, I
was ALMOST considering purchasing one of the 805's. Why HP doesn't jump
onto the VGA bandwagon I'll never understand. Anyway after reading your
posts I think Toshiba support is once again proving to be "The Lemon" as
much at their hardware. Thanks for the heads up and good luck.

Mitch

> [...]
>
> Called Toshiba tech support again and got the same guy as the first time
> (Rick). I asked what they'd done the first time the unit was in for
> repair and he said their notes indicated they couldn't find anything
> wrong with it (huh?) and they simply "re-imaged" the unit (re-flashed the
> firmware). He thought the next time they'd start by replacing the touch
> screen.
>
> When I asked him about multi-returns like this, he said he rarely hears
> of it on this mondel. He was very apologetic for the situation and said
> he hoped the repair facility wouldn't be too upset about the nasty note
> he wrote them in the computer.
>
> So now I wait for another prepaid return box to arrive tomorrow. [sigh]
>
> Do I smell just a hint of lemon in the air?
>
> Have a great day,
>
> John - still using his slow old Cassiopeia E125 - Landry
June 14, 2004 10:13:51 PM

Mitch;

The soon to be released (Late July) iPAQ 4700 will have a VGA screen as well
as 129/64 RAM/ROM, with dual CF and SDIO slot, removable battery, and wi-fi.
I am waiting for it to be offered and will buy one right away.

Bobby

"Mitch_A" <namannospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > (Rick). I asked what they'd done the first time the unit was in for
> > repair and he said their notes indicated they couldn't find anything
> > wrong with it (huh?) and they simply "re-imaged" the unit (re-flashed
the
> > firmware). He thought the next time they'd start by replacing the touch
> > screen.
> >
> > When I asked him about multi-returns like this, he said he rarely hears
> > of it on this mondel. He was very apologetic for the situation and said
> > he hoped the repair facility wouldn't be too upset about the nasty note
> > he wrote them in the computer.
> >
> > So now I wait for another prepaid return box to arrive tomorrow. [sigh]
> >
> > Do I smell just a hint of lemon in the air?
> >
> > Have a great day,
> >
> > John - still using his slow old Cassiopeia E125 - Landry

June 15, 2004 5:21:27 PM

>The soon to be released (Late July) iPAQ 4700 will have a VGA screen as well
>as 129/64 RAM/ROM, with dual CF and SDIO slot, removable battery, and wi-fi.

Perfect! Is there a webpage with more info and pictures of this new iPaq?

Andrew

replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers you
meet ;-)
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:21:28 PM

Here is a link to photos, specs, and you can even place a pre-order if you
like....

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=1...

Bobby

"AJH400" <ajh400@aol.comkillspam> wrote in message
> >The soon to be released (Late July) iPAQ 4700 will have a VGA screen as
well
> >as 129/64 RAM/ROM, with dual CF and SDIO slot, removable battery, and
wi-fi.

> Perfect! Is there a webpage with more info and pictures of this new iPaq?
>

> Andrew
>

> replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers
you
> meet ;-)
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:28:23 PM

Reply to message from "John A. Landry"
<gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net>
(Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:09:52) about "Re: Toshiba
e805 Failure":

My two cents...
Some days after I received my brand new h4350,
when I was testing lots of free/share/demo soft for
3-4 times I had soft problems with
behaved or confliting soft that frooze
the pda and made a similar problems to yours...
the first time and second was the most scary and
now I "found" the way to deal with it...

first time I made soft reset and noticed sluggish
behavor...why ? because after a reset the wait
symbol SHOULD NOT happear (thats the normal
behavor in my unit after a soft reset).
so, I made several soft resets and machine stll
sluggish so I made a hard reset...and wait symbol
happeared again !!!!
as soon as it happeared, new
HR...and again , WS !!!...new HR as soon as it
happeread...and...problem solved !!!!

second time I didn’t care about WS...and I ended I
endless calibration cycle like you ...solution ? yes,
you guessed it... several HRs (IIRC , 2) solved
issue...the endless calib. cycle only happeared
once .

so, what I advice is that if anything goes 'strange'
in a soft reset , make as many hard resets as
needed untill everything goes well .

Bye
Amandio J.S. Bacalhau <dream.on@your.job>
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:46:47 +0100

> [...]

in... no help either.

Called Toshiba tech support again and got the same
guy as the first time (Rick). I asked what they'd
done the first time the unit was in for repair and he
said their notes indicated they couldn't find anything
wrong with it (huh?) and they simply "re-imaged"
the unit (re-flashed the firmware). He thought the
next time they'd start by replacing the touch screen.

When I asked him about multi-returns like this, he
said he rarely hears of it on this mondel. He was
very apologetic for the situation and said he hoped
the repair facility wouldn't be too upset about the
nasty note he wrote them in the computer.

So now I wait for another prepaid return box to
arrive tomorrow. [sigh]

Do I smell just a hint of lemon in the air?

Have a great day,

John - still using his slow old Cassiopeia E125 -
June 16, 2004 6:43:05 PM

On 14 Jun 2004, "John A. Landry" <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net>
wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:

> So now I wait for another prepaid return box to arrive tomorrow.
> [sigh]

Minor Update:

2nd prepaid FedEx box arrived yesterday as promised by Toshiba.

Before I put my 1.5 month old e805 in the box, I verified one more time it
still doesn't work (stuck in endless screen calibration loop)... same
problem. I'll be really PO'd if they tell me they couldn't find anything
wrong with it.

So off it went yesterday evening on its second journey back to the Toshiba
repair facility.

Based on the previous turn around time, I expect it back here on Monday
next week.

Fingers are crossed that they get it fixed properly this time.

John L.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 1:30:25 PM

This is really for John L (or anybody else familiar with the Casio
E-125)

I recently purchased an E-125 from ebay and it works great. However, I
was looking for some extra software to add and I've scoured various
sites to pluck some downloads. (The specs say its OS is windows Ce
3.0)

But when I sync these onto the unit, most either respond with "not a
valid ce program" or "run application first" notice.

In either case, they won't open.

Rather than continuing by trial and error, I wonder if someone could
suggest some software that will work on the unit -- the screen is
great and it is otherwise a great machine.

Also: has anyone tried loading a wi-fi card on this?

"Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<u7RpIyoTEHA.3752@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> [...]
> button.
> > After a time that didn't work. Finally even hard resets or turning the
> > battery off and on wouldn't unfreeze the unit.
> >
> > Oh... the battery was fully charged for all of this.
> >
> > I called Toshiba tech support this morning, and since I have 319 days left
> > in my warrantee, they are sending out a prepaid FedEx box to retrieve the
> > unit to a repair depot. They told me to expect a 3-5 day turn-around upon
> > receipt of the unit at the depot and they'll pay to ship it back.
> >
> > In the mean time I've gone back to using my trusty old Cassiopeia while my
> > fancy expensive new Toshiba sits here waiting to go back home for repair.
> > Needless to say I'm disappointed that my new e805 only lasted about a
> > month. I hope I don't have a lemon on my hands!
> >
> > I'll post an update when I get the e805 back from Toshiba.

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 1:38:46 PM

Major update :-)

After sending my e805 back to Toshiba 3 times, they finally agreed enough
was enough, and replaced it with a new one. It was delivered Thursday
afternoon, and I'm happy to report, so far, so good.

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

John A. Landry <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2004, "John A. Landry"
> <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote in
> microsoft.public.pocketpc:
>
>> So now I wait for another prepaid return box to arrive tomorrow.
>> [sigh]
>
> Minor Update:
>
> 2nd prepaid FedEx box arrived yesterday as promised by Toshiba.
>
> Before I put my 1.5 month old e805 in the box, I verified one more
> time it still doesn't work (stuck in endless screen calibration
> loop)... same problem. I'll be really PO'd if they tell me they
> couldn't find anything wrong with it.
>
> So off it went yesterday evening on its second journey back to the
> Toshiba repair facility.
>
> Based on the previous turn around time, I expect it back here on
> Monday next week.
>
> Fingers are crossed that they get it fixed properly this time.
>
> John L.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 10:28:09 PM

On 27 Jun 2004, "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org>
wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:

> Major update :-)
>
> After sending my e805 back to Toshiba 3 times, they finally agreed
> enough was enough, and replaced it with a new one. It was delivered
> Thursday afternoon, and I'm happy to report, so far, so good.

I'm overdue in posting an update also...

To recap:

After owning it for a month, my Toshiba e805 unexpectedly failed one
morning earlier in June (see previous posts for complete details of the
failure).

I called Toshiba.

They had it picked up for repair the next day.

It came back one week later.

It still didn't work!

I called Toshiba again and they said they couldn't find anything wrong
with it and had simply re-flashed the firmware.

They picked it up again the next day.

It came back another week later, worked for 4 hours, and quit again.

I called Toshiba again and this time they said the digitizer had been
replaced. The customer service rep offered to "escalate" the situation
and said a supervisor would call me within 24 hours.

Supervisor called apologetically and offered to ship me out a brand new
unit *after* I shipped back my defective unit complete with all
accessories. I was to hold back only the software CD's that came with
the unit.

A box arrived the next day (last Wednesday).

I packaged everything up that day and shipped it out.

Per the tracking number, Toshiba received it the next day (Thursday).

It's now the following Monday and I'm still waiting for my new
replacement unit to arrive.

I have to say, that as disgusted as I am with the unit failing and the
subsquent unsuccessful attempts by Toshiba to fix it, their customer
service people have been friendly, polite, and apologetic about the
situation.

In the meantime I'm *still* using my old Cassiopeia E-125, which the
Toshiba e805 was supposed to replace.

Regards,

John L.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 7:06:45 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:28:09 -0000, in microsoft.public.pocketpc, John A.
Landry said:

>After owning it for a month, my Toshiba e805 unexpectedly failed one
>morning earlier in June (see previous posts for complete details of the
>failure).
>
>I called Toshiba.
>
>They had it picked up for repair the next day.
>
>It came back one week later.
>
>It still didn't work!
>
>I called Toshiba again and they said they couldn't find anything wrong
>with it and had simply re-flashed the firmware.
>
>They picked it up again the next day.
>
>It came back another week later, worked for 4 hours, and quit again.
>
>I called Toshiba again and this time they said the digitizer had been
>replaced. The customer service rep offered to "escalate" the situation
>and said a supervisor would call me within 24 hours.
>
>Supervisor called apologetically and offered to ship me out a brand new
>unit *after* I shipped back my defective unit complete with all
>accessories. I was to hold back only the software CD's that came with
>the unit.
>
>A box arrived the next day (last Wednesday).
>
>I packaged everything up that day and shipped it out.
>
>Per the tracking number, Toshiba received it the next day (Thursday).
>
>It's now the following Monday and I'm still waiting for my new
>replacement unit to arrive.

UPDATE 7-14-04

Received brand new replacement e805 from Toshiba on Wednesday 6-30-04.
Thus far it's been working perfectly. I've flashed the firmware to
Pocket-PC 2003 SE.

So far so good.

Regards,

John L.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 12:52:49 AM

John A. Landry <gyroREMOVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote:

> UPDATE 7-14-04
>
> Received brand new replacement e805 from Toshiba on Wednesday 6-30-04.
> Thus far it's been working perfectly. I've flashed the firmware to
> Pocket-PC 2003 SE.
>
> So far so good.

And I'd like to report the same (hopefully posting this won't jinx it).
Although, I haven't flashed the firmware (yet).

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
MVP - FrontPage