Wireless Problems After Installing SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 6, 2004 9:51:10 PM

My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
with this problem. Their wirless network was working
great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
problem comes back....HELP.....
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 2:53:15 PM

"Brian (BK's Computing)" <bkscomputing@madriver.com> wrote in message
> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> problem comes back....HELP.....

More info please. SP2 solved most of the problems I was having. Have you
enabled Wireless Zero Configuration? What security are you using (WEP or
WPA). Frequently Authentication needs to be disabled to get notebook PCs to
connect to access points if WEP is used.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 8:01:53 PM

Brian, there is some monumental c**k up with SP2 and wireless. Once SP2
goes on, it seems very easy for clients not to be able to get their
DHCP addresses from the server. Don't know why just yet, but I have had
several customers woth this problem. So far, my (temporary) fix has
been to set a static IP address for the client. So far MS seems to be
keeping stum about it!!!

Ron

Brian (BK's Computing) wrote:

> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> problem comes back....HELP.....
Related resources
December 7, 2004 8:13:01 PM

Brian, Any help you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. I am not
particularly computer saavy and have been stumped with getting my wireless
connection back after installing SP2. We have a laptop at home connected to
our cable modem and wireless router and my daughter has a new laptop that she
loves until now since her only access is via the wireless router. The
wireless network is detected, according to the icon on the task bar, but
won't connect. When attempting to view available networks then windows says
no networks found in range. I can't disable the windows firewall in the
Security Center as it says service was not started or was stopped. I could
go on but won't ...thanks

"Brian (BK's Computing)" wrote:

> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> problem comes back....HELP.....

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 8:24:39 PM

I had the same problem using WEP on two notebooks. I temporally
disabled WEP to allow connection. Several days later I decided to
give it another try. I enabled WEP again on the laptop and router and
everything worked fine. I didn't have to re-enter any keys are they
were already entered from by first attempt. I don't have a clue why
it worked the second time around - I definitely had entered the proper
key as I didn't reenter anything. Any thoughts?

--
Jim

"Brian (BK's Computing)" <bkscomputing@madriver.com> wrote in message
> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> problem comes back....HELP.....
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 9:15:15 PM

"Jim Besse" <fv_robinhood.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o pNq$tK3EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I had the same problem using WEP on two notebooks. I temporally disabled
>WEP to allow connection. Several days later I decided to give it another
>try. I enabled WEP again on the laptop and router and everything worked
>fine. I didn't have to re-enter any keys are they were already entered
>from by first attempt. I don't have a clue why it worked the second time
>around - I definitely had entered the proper key as I didn't reenter
>anything. Any thoughts?

Maybe you rebooted the router in the meantime? Also, I recently had a
problem wherein I had to first connect to the router using WEP before I
could connect using WPA security. So maybe merely connecting with no
security allowed you to connect with WEP. Possibly the MAC address of your
network card needs to be recognized first by the router before the security
will work? Routers do strange things.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 8, 2004 1:09:25 AM

Brian \(BK's Computing\) wrote:
> *My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> problem comes back....HELP..... *
I'm having this problem too. The problem seems to be renewing the IP
address from the DHCP server. I have 2 laptops which I upgraded(sic) to
SP2, 1 with a Cisco card and the other with built in Centrino wireless.
The Cisco one has no problem with SP2, but the other one keeps not
being able to connect. I find that if I reboot the machine, it will
manage to find the network and get the IP. However, if I go to standby
a few times, eventually the problem will surface again. The problem
also manifests itself when I switch from a wired network (office) to my
home wireless one. Then it will not be able to renew the IP address. I
find that in this case however, if I plug in an ethernet cable which is
also connected to my router and let the wired connection get an IP, most
of the time the wireless connection will manage to get an IP in another
minute or so. This brings me to the conclusion that this problem is a
Windows problem, and I think Microsoft should fix this with high
priority, cause it's a big pain. So much for their User Experience
program.

Gavin

--
gavsyl
a b F Wireless

Right-click on the adapter and choose repair. Also ensure the DHCP service
is running.

Carey

"Brian (BK's Computing)" <bkscomputing@madriver.com> wrote in message
> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> problem comes back....HELP.....
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 8, 2004 1:43:40 PM

Carey Holzman wrote:
> *Right-click on the adapter and choose repair. Also ensure the DHCP
> service
> is running.
>
> Carey
>
> *

Repair doesn't work in this case. DHCP is running cause if I reboot it
is OK, or the other computer running on the network works fine.

--
gavsyl
a b F Wireless

What driver version is your Intel adapter? Versions prior to 1.2.0.56 may
experience issues connecting to WEP secured networks. Intel has documented
and fixed this issue in current driver releases. Please, visit the
manufacturer's website for your laptop and download an updated driver.

Our Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821442

Intel's documentation with links to updated drivers for some manufacturers.
http://www.intel.com/support/network/wireless/pro2100/s...

Additionally, you may want to check for updated drivers for your Cisco
wireless adapter.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"gavsyl" <gavsyl.1gxx4b@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> Brian \(BK's Computing\) wrote:
>> *My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
>> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
>> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
>> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
>> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
>> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
>> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
>> problem comes back....HELP..... *
> I'm having this problem too. The problem seems to be renewing the IP
> address from the DHCP server. I have 2 laptops which I upgraded(sic) to
> SP2, 1 with a Cisco card and the other with built in Centrino wireless.
> The Cisco one has no problem with SP2, but the other one keeps not
> being able to connect. I find that if I reboot the machine, it will
> manage to find the network and get the IP. However, if I go to standby
> a few times, eventually the problem will surface again. The problem
> also manifests itself when I switch from a wired network (office) to my
> home wireless one. Then it will not be able to renew the IP address. I
> find that in this case however, if I plug in an ethernet cable which is
> also connected to my router and let the wired connection get an IP, most
> of the time the wireless connection will manage to get an IP in another
> minute or so. This brings me to the conclusion that this problem is a
> Windows problem, and I think Microsoft should fix this with high
> priority, cause it's a big pain. So much for their User Experience
> program.
>
> Gavin
>

> --
> gavsyl

a b F Wireless
December 8, 2004 6:46:46 PM

If there are no available networks listed in the Microsoft UI, you may have
one or more of the following issues:

1) The access point is configured to not Broadcast is SSID.
2) The wireless antenna is turned off on your laptop. Check for switches or
buttons on the case of your laptop. If there is one, toggle the position to
'on' or its equivalent.
3) You may have a third party wireless utility installed that is interfering
with the Microsoft Wireless Zero Configuration service.
4) The wireless access point may be in a bad state. Power cycle the device
and check if the network becomes available.

If you need additional help please reply to this thread.

--

"Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Brian, Any help you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. I am
> not
> particularly computer saavy and have been stumped with getting my wireless
> connection back after installing SP2. We have a laptop at home connected
> our cable modem and wireless router and my daughter has a new laptop that
> she
> loves until now since her only access is via the wireless router. The
> wireless network is detected, according to the icon on the task bar, but
> won't connect. When attempting to view available networks then windows
> says
> no networks found in range. I can't disable the windows firewall in the
> Security Center as it says service was not started or was stopped. I
> could
> go on but won't ...thanks
>
> "Brian (BK's Computing)" wrote:
>
>> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
>> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
>> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
>> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
>> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
>> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
>> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
>> problem comes back....HELP.....

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 9, 2004 2:22:30 AM

Make sure the Network Location Awareness service is running and try
repairing the winsock using this command for XP SP2:

go to --->start-->run type CMD than type the following : netsh winsock
reset

Carey

"gavsyl" <gavsyl.1gz2s5@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> Carey Holzman wrote:
>> *Right-click on the adapter and choose repair. Also ensure the DHCP
>> service
>> is running.
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> *
>
> Repair doesn't work in this case. DHCP is running cause if I reboot it
> is OK, or the other computer running on the network works fine.
>

> --
> gavsyl

a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 12:33:03 AM

jerry: do you have to broadcast SSID? if so, that is a change with SP2 as my
laptop has been working perfectly fine with my wireless network. your help is
appreciated.
thanks, fm

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> If there are no available networks listed in the Microsoft UI, you may have
> one or more of the following issues:
>
> 1) The access point is configured to not Broadcast is SSID.
> 2) The wireless antenna is turned off on your laptop. Check for switches or
> buttons on the case of your laptop. If there is one, toggle the position to
> 'on' or its equivalent.
> 3) You may have a third party wireless utility installed that is interfering
> with the Microsoft Wireless Zero Configuration service.
> 4) The wireless access point may be in a bad state. Power cycle the device
> and check if the network becomes available.
>
> If you need additional help please reply to this thread.
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Brian, Any help you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. I am
> > not
> > particularly computer saavy and have been stumped with getting my wireless
> > connection back after installing SP2. We have a laptop at home connected
> > our cable modem and wireless router and my daughter has a new laptop that
> > she
> > loves until now since her only access is via the wireless router. The
> > wireless network is detected, according to the icon on the task bar, but
> > won't connect. When attempting to view available networks then windows
> > says
> > no networks found in range. I can't disable the windows firewall in the
> > Security Center as it says service was not started or was stopped. I
> > could
> > go on but won't ...thanks
> >
> > "Brian (BK's Computing)" wrote:
> >
> >> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> >> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> >> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> >> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> >> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> >> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> >> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> >> problem comes back....HELP.....

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 12:37:02 AM

jerry: does SP2 require encryption for wireless? or can we still configure
wireless without encryption (i used specific mac address for security).

thanks,
fm

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> If there are no available networks listed in the Microsoft UI, you may have
> one or more of the following issues:
>
> 1) The access point is configured to not Broadcast is SSID.
> 2) The wireless antenna is turned off on your laptop. Check for switches or
> buttons on the case of your laptop. If there is one, toggle the position to
> 'on' or its equivalent.
> 3) You may have a third party wireless utility installed that is interfering
> with the Microsoft Wireless Zero Configuration service.
> 4) The wireless access point may be in a bad state. Power cycle the device
> and check if the network becomes available.
>
> If you need additional help please reply to this thread.
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Brian, Any help you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. I am
> > not
> > particularly computer saavy and have been stumped with getting my wireless
> > connection back after installing SP2. We have a laptop at home connected
> > our cable modem and wireless router and my daughter has a new laptop that
> > she
> > loves until now since her only access is via the wireless router. The
> > wireless network is detected, according to the icon on the task bar, but
> > won't connect. When attempting to view available networks then windows
> > says
> > no networks found in range. I can't disable the windows firewall in the
> > Security Center as it says service was not started or was stopped. I
> > could
> > go on but won't ...thanks
> >
> > "Brian (BK's Computing)" wrote:
> >
> >> My name is Brian and I am going nuts, we have customers
> >> with this problem. Their wirless network was working
> >> great until they installed SP2. Now the network says
> >> limited connection or no connection. If anyone has a fix
> >> for this other than uninstalling SP2 please email me. I
> >> have tired a few things and I can get it working for a
> >> short period of time but when they reboot a few times the
> >> problem comes back....HELP.....

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 3:03:57 AM

Greetings fmaz,

There is no good reason not to broadcast a SSID. If you are not broadcasting
the SSID, the wireless service in Windows XP won't detect the network. There
is no actual security for doing it and this really isn't new in Service Pack
2. For more details, see the following MS KB Article.

Your computer connects to an access point that broadcasts its SSID instead
of an access point that does not broadcast its SSID
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com