IDE problems Asus A7V8X

Nathan

I have an Asus A7V8X with an AMD AthlonXP Proc.
My secondary IDE controller is giving me some problems. Its got a
Panasonic DVD-ROM and a Plextor burner on it. In the past its had a Zip
100 on it, and at one time it even had my secondary HDD on it (of course
only 2 at a time).

It seems that sometimes at random the whole secondary controller
disables. Usually a reboot will bring it back, sometimes that doesn't
work, and i need to power down completely and leave it off for a few
minutes. One time i disconnected one of the drives that was connected
to it (the DVD) and it worked afterward, so i left it off thinking that
it was some sort of drive failure, or conflict. And it was good for a
few weeks and then out of the blue it happened again. Basically what
happens is Windows (win2k) pops up with the "Unsafe removal of hardware"
warning, as though i had un-plugged one of the drives, and it displays
anything that i have on the second controller in the list.

I have tried swapping the 2 drives between primary and secondary, and in
fact i have only one drive connected to it at the moment, so i don't
think its something between the 2 drives. and like i said, I've had
other devices connected to this in the past and they've done the same
thing.

So the first question i guess should be, am i dealing with a win2k
problem? Or is this a motherboard hardware issue? I had another Asus
board before this one (cant remember the model) and it was doing the
same thing. Im wondering what i must be doing wrong here, for it to
span 2 different motherboards now.

Thanks.
--
---

Theres no place like ~/.

Nathan

A little more info.
Got home today to find that it did it again, checked the drivers, they
are in fact microsoft.
And i checked the event viewer. found these:

Received a device interface REMOVAL notification for device:

\\?\IDE#CdRomPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W5224A________________1.03____#5&14576fb3&1&0.0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

And then 20 seconds later

Received a device interface ARRIVAL notification for device:

\\?\IDE#CdRomPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W5224A________________1.03____#5&14576fb3&1&0.0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

But yet the Burner still isnt useable, not in my computer, and probably
wont be until i reboot.

"Nathan" <gangrif@mindless.com> wrote in message
> I have an Asus A7V8X with an AMD AthlonXP Proc.
> My secondary IDE controller is giving me some problems. Its got a
> Panasonic DVD-ROM and a Plextor burner on it. In the past its had a Zip
> 100 on it, and at one time it even had my secondary HDD on it (of course
> only 2 at a time).
>
> It seems that sometimes at random the whole secondary controller
> disables. Usually a reboot will bring it back, sometimes that doesn't
> work, and i need to power down completely and leave it off for a few
> minutes. One time i disconnected one of the drives that was connected
> to it (the DVD) and it worked afterward, so i left it off thinking that
> it was some sort of drive failure, or conflict. And it was good for a
> few weeks and then out of the blue it happened again. Basically what
> happens is Windows (win2k) pops up with the "Unsafe removal of hardware"
> warning, as though i had un-plugged one of the drives, and it displays
> anything that i have on the second controller in the list.
>
> I have tried swapping the 2 drives between primary and secondary, and in
> fact i have only one drive connected to it at the moment, so i don't
> think its something between the 2 drives. and like i said, I've had
> other devices connected to this in the past and they've done the same
> thing.
>
> So the first question i guess should be, am i dealing with a win2k
> problem? Or is this a motherboard hardware issue? I had another Asus
> board before this one (cant remember the model) and it was doing the
> same thing. Im wondering what i must be doing wrong here, for it to
> span 2 different motherboards now.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> ---

If you are using the Nvdia IDE drivers, have you tried sapping them with
the standard MS ones?

My system cannot get on the with the Nvidia ones.
--
Doug Ramage

Nathan

I believe theyre already the MS drivers. I can check when i get home.
(at work, bah!)

--
---

Theres no place like ~/.

Have you tried the Via drivers already?
--
Doug Ramage

> A little more info.
> Got home today to find that it did it again, checked the drivers, they
> are in fact microsoft.
> And i checked the event viewer. found these:
>
> Received a device interface REMOVAL notification for device:

\\?\IDE#CdRomPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W5224A________________1.03____#5&14576fb3&1&0
..0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

> And then 20 seconds later
>
> Received a device interface ARRIVAL notification for device:

\\?\IDE#CdRomPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W5224A________________1.03____#5&14576fb3&1&0
..0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

> But yet the Burner still isnt useable, not in my computer, and probably
> wont be until i reboot.
>
> Nathan wrote:
>
> > I have an Asus A7V8X with an AMD AthlonXP Proc.
> > My secondary IDE controller is giving me some problems. Its got a
> > Panasonic DVD-ROM and a Plextor burner on it. In the past its had a Zip
> > 100 on it, and at one time it even had my secondary HDD on it (of course
> > only 2 at a time).
> >
> > It seems that sometimes at random the whole secondary controller
> > disables. Usually a reboot will bring it back, sometimes that doesn't
> > work, and i need to power down completely and leave it off for a few
> > minutes. One time i disconnected one of the drives that was connected
> > to it (the DVD) and it worked afterward, so i left it off thinking that
> > it was some sort of drive failure, or conflict. And it was good for a
> > few weeks and then out of the blue it happened again. Basically what
> > happens is Windows (win2k) pops up with the "Unsafe removal of hardware"
> > warning, as though i had un-plugged one of the drives, and it displays
> > anything that i have on the second controller in the list.
> >
> > I have tried swapping the 2 drives between primary and secondary, and in
> > fact i have only one drive connected to it at the moment, so i don't
> > think its something between the 2 drives. and like i said, I've had
> > other devices connected to this in the past and they've done the same
> > thing.
> >
> > So the first question i guess should be, am i dealing with a win2k
> > problem? Or is this a motherboard hardware issue? I had another Asus
> > board before this one (cant remember the model) and it was doing the
> > same thing. Im wondering what i must be doing wrong here, for it to
> > span 2 different motherboards now.
> >
> > Thanks.

Nathan

I havent, but i dont think its a driver issue.
I dual boot linux on that PC and just last night the same problem
occurred in Linux.

Do you think it could be possible that its a power issue? I reconnected
my second drive last night and shortly thereafter it happened again, and
then again after rebooting (maybe 15 min after a reboot). Much more
frequent than when i had it connected to just the one drive.

Also, for some reason (and i dont remember why...) i had a splitter on
the plug coming from the PS for these 2 drives. I removed that as i did
have another free plug. We'll see if it helps.

--
---

Theres no place like ~/.

Probably not IDE drivers then.

Could be PSU. Are you drawing a lot from the 12v rail? Individual rails are
more important than the overall power rating.

Or cable(s)?
--
Doug Ramage

> I havent, but i dont think its a driver issue.
> I dual boot linux on that PC and just last night the same problem
> occurred in Linux.
>
> Do you think it could be possible that its a power issue? I reconnected
> my second drive last night and shortly thereafter it happened again, and
> then again after rebooting (maybe 15 min after a reboot). Much more
> frequent than when i had it connected to just the one drive.
>
> Also, for some reason (and i dont remember why...) i had a splitter on
> the plug coming from the PS for these 2 drives. I removed that as i did
> have another free plug. We'll see if it helps.
>

> Doug Ramage wrote:
>
> > Have you tried the Via drivers already?
> > --
> > Doug Ramage
> >
> > "Nathan" <gangrif@mindless.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>A little more info.
> >>Got home today to find that it did it again, checked the drivers, they
> >>are in fact microsoft.
> >>And i checked the event viewer. found these:
> >>
> >>Received a device interface REMOVAL notification for device:

\\?\IDE#CdRomPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W5224A________________1.03____#5&14576fb3&1&0
> > .0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
> >

> >>And then 20 seconds later
> >>
> >>Received a device interface ARRIVAL notification for device:

\\?\IDE#CdRomPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W5224A________________1.03____#5&14576fb3&1&0
> > .0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
> >

> >>But yet the Burner still isnt useable, not in my computer, and probably
> >>wont be until i reboot.

> --
> ---
>
> Theres no place like ~/.

Nathan

Seems like the power idea has fixed it.
I removed the Y connector on my PS and its been working solid for a few
days now. So i hate to say it (because now itll probably fail when i
get home) but it seems to be fixed!

--
---

Theres no place like ~/.