Question about an oldie

Does ASUS P2L97-DS supports Intel Pentium III and if yes, what about the
frequency jumpers on board? Can I put a CPU that have more than 5.5 as
multiplier? OR, is there a sort of tweak I can use to make this board go
further than 100MHz FSB / 5.5 Multiplier?

Thanks

Nico

Cs

"Nico" <bougon666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does ASUS P2L97-DS supports Intel Pentium III and if yes, what about the
> frequency jumpers on board? Can I put a CPU that have more than 5.5 as
> multiplier? OR, is there a sort of tweak I can use to make this board go
> further than 100MHz FSB / 5.5 Multiplier?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nico

The P2L97-DS only supports 66mhz front side bus which limits you to the P2
up to 333mhz or some celeron chips. I don't know what the voltage limits
are on your board but as Adam S said, it looks like a Celeron 466mhz is
your limit.

If you want to run a PIII you would need a P2B-DS for an equivilent board.
The differences being the in the chipset. All Asus P2 *L* boards are
limited to 66mhz based chips due to the 440lx chipset. The entire P(2 or 3)
*B* (P2b-f, p3b-f, p2b-s etc)run on the 440bx chipset which supports 100mhz
front side bus and allows you to run PIII chips that are not PIII EBs which
run at a 133mhz front side bus.

Chris

"Nico" <bougon666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does ASUS P2L97-DS supports Intel Pentium III and if yes, what about the
> frequency jumpers on board? Can I put a CPU that have more than 5.5 as
> multiplier? OR, is there a sort of tweak I can use to make this board go
> further than 100MHz FSB / 5.5 Multiplier?

I would say that you can't put a P3 chip in a P2 socket.

Download some specs from Asus here:
http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mb_archives.htm

From that it looks like a P2 - 333Mhz or Celeron 466Mhz is the max

Adam S

Hmmm... I once had a aOpen board that supported both P II and P III Slot 1
(AX64 pro)... I already have a PIII 550 (100 x 5.5) and wonder if, with a
matching pair (I'll find another one on eBay), I can do something with this
ASUS motherboard.

I fear that P II will be too "Slow" for the app. I wish to use with this
Mobo. For sure I won't run Windows Server 2003 on that machine (this will
probably be a little Linux file server) but I want to hane some
responsiveness from it. I'm asking the question because I have this board
with all the SCSI kit (and it is working) and this could avoid me to buy
another board.

Thanks

"Adam S" <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> a écrit dans le message de

> "Nico" <bougon666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does ASUS P2L97-DS supports Intel Pentium III and if yes, what about the
> > frequency jumpers on board? Can I put a CPU that have more than 5.5 as
> > multiplier? OR, is there a sort of tweak I can use to make this board go
> > further than 100MHz FSB / 5.5 Multiplier?
> >

> I would say that you can't put a P3 chip in a P2 socket.
>
> Download some specs from Asus here:
> http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mb_archives.htm
>
> From that it looks like a P2 - 333Mhz or Celeron 466Mhz is the max
>
> Adam S

Not all cpus are capable of SMP. Check before buying.
> Hmmm... I once had a aOpen board that supported both P II and P III Slot 1
> (AX64 pro)... I already have a PIII 550 (100 x 5.5) and wonder if, with a
> matching pair (I'll find another one on eBay), I can do something with
this
> ASUS motherboard.
>
> I fear that P II will be too "Slow" for the app. I wish to use with this
> Mobo. For sure I won't run Windows Server 2003 on that machine (this will
> probably be a little Linux file server) but I want to hane some
> responsiveness from it. I'm asking the question because I have this board
> with all the SCSI kit (and it is working) and this could avoid me to buy
> another board.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Adam S" <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> a écrit dans le message de
> >
> > "Nico" <bougon666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Does ASUS P2L97-DS supports Intel Pentium III and if yes, what about
the
> > > frequency jumpers on board? Can I put a CPU that have more than 5.5 as
> > > multiplier? OR, is there a sort of tweak I can use to make this board
go
> > > further than 100MHz FSB / 5.5 Multiplier?
> > >

> > I would say that you can't put a P3 chip in a P2 socket.
> >
> > Download some specs from Asus here:
> > http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mb_archives.htm
> >
> > From that it looks like a P2 - 333Mhz or Celeron 466Mhz is the max
> >
> > Adam S

And what about the multiplier? Can I go further than 5.5 ?