MELLY

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Why when not connected to the internet via my modem, does
the ups use a considerable amount of cpu? Once I make an
internet connection, my system goes to 98% idle.

melly wrote:
> Why when not connected to the internet via my modem, does
> the ups use a considerable amount of cpu? Once I make an
> internet connection, my system goes to 98% idle.

Let me help you clarify:

When you are not dialed into the Internet (you do not have broadband), your
UPS service/application seemed to use a high percentage of your CPU
power/time. When you dial into the Internet, it's usage decreases heavily
and your system becomes more stable.

Sounds to me like you setup some sort of dial-up notification on your UPS
software. Get rid of that.

--
<- Shenan ->
--

MELLY

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

No, I haven't changed a thing. It started doing this a
couple of weeks ago and is getting worse. When using a
process such as word without being online, my monitor
started getting these strange lines running across it.
It is only today that I was able to correlate the two
together. When a line would go across, the cpu of the
ups would shoot up to like 68% and then drop to 0. Then
another line and the ups went up again. Yet it doesn't
happen when connected.

On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:58:46 -0700, "melly"

>No, I haven't changed a thing. It started doing this a
>couple of weeks ago and is getting worse. When using a
>process such as word without being online, my monitor
>started getting these strange lines running across it.
>It is only today that I was able to correlate the two
>together. When a line would go across, the cpu of the
>ups would shoot up to like 68% and then drop to 0. Then
>another line and the ups went up again. Yet it doesn't
>happen when connected.

Have you tried newer drivers for the UPS? In reading another group
there was a guy who had a problem with his USB UPS causing problems
with his PC. He tried everything but new drivers. He finally installed
new drivers and the problem went away.

TRENDING THREADS