Lost files when moving to CD

Alan

I moved some photo files to CD but got a message that there was a problem,I selected "retry" a few times nut each time got the problem message. Eventually I selected "skip". Now they are lost!! Tried system restore and search, but can't locate them. HELP

If you actually did a "move" instead of a "copy", then the original file was
erased. In the future, copy, verify the copy, then manually erase the
files.

But, for now, there is hope. Erasing files usually does nothing more than
remove the directory entries for the files. So, the bits that make of the
files are probably still on your hard drive. However, as time passes, they
will be over written.

So, get a third-party file recovery program and then hope for the best. Try
a web search on "file recovery" or "file undelete".

If the hard drive is foramtted as FAT32, there are several programs that
will work:

Norton Utilities (version 2001 for sure, maybe later, run form floppy or CD
that comes with the boxed set).

A free program called PC Inspector File Recovery, from
http://www.pcinspector.de/

If the hard drive is NTFS, which is likely if you have XP, then the options
are more limited, but there are still several.

File Scavenger, from www.quetek.com. The free demo will show you whta is
recoverable, and can recover small files under 64K.

Active@Undelete (program name, not web address) from
http://www.active-undelete.com/download.htm

There are many others.

On caution: Try to chose one that does NOT require installing software on
the same hard drive partition as the file you lost. If you only have one
partition (i.e., C:\), then look for something that will run from a CD or a
floppy (or maybe a ZIP or pen drive). The reason is that installing
software can over-write the files you want to recover. So can using the PC
to do almost anything (e..g., web surfing, WORD, EXCEL, downloading a file,
etc).

Good luck.