A7N8X-X not posting

Hello:

I wanted a box that had solid technical parts throughout. Here are
the
components I recently purchased:

ASUS Tek motherboard A7N8X-X socket-A
Athlon XP 2500+ 333 FSB w/512k
350 w Power Supply
Radion 9200 8xAGP video card, 128 MB RAM
2x256 MB DDR 266 MHz, DL 2.5 memory
40 GB refurbished Diamond Max Plus 8 Hard Drive
1 DVD player
1 CD player
case by quiet PC

The motherboard has a light to indicate it has access to the power
supply.
When I hit the power button, I see these lights come on:

3 on the PS/2 keyboard (1x, briefly)
1 on HD (an IDE0 monitor, ~3")
1 on CD (flickers a few times)
1 on DVD (flickers)
Power supply light stays on

The CPU fan and chassis fans both work. Power gets turned off
properly by
holding the power switch for 4".

I have hooked up two different monitors to the output from the video
card.
The screen does not change at all - no familiar line about the BIOS as
the
memory gets checked. The machine makes warmup noises for about 5",
then
keeps a steady hum. The speakers do NOT make any beeping sound to
indicate it has posted.

The battery has been disconnected, jumper moved, then replaced to get
back to basic settings.

I have tried to make the system "simpler", disconnecting the floppy,
CD player, and DVD. I have reseated everything, flashlight in hand to
make sure it "looks good." Since I have two memory cards, I have
tried different combinations in different slots.

The specs say this board needs 1.5v 8xAGP card. The 9200 has the
universal form, meaning it can supply 3.3v, 1.5v, and 0.8v for the
8xAGP. It appears like the 8xAGP standard uses 0.8v. Could I have a
mismatch on the video card?

There was a post to this newsgroup in January on the same topic, but
how the issue was resolved was not answered.

This is the first time I have tried to build a box like this, so I may
have made a basic error. After this much cash investment, a
completely
blank monitor is disappointing.

doug

In article <4e46640a.0405190544.32c3eb80@posting.google.com>,
sweetser@world.std.com says...

[snip]
> The specs say this board needs 1.5v 8xAGP card. The 9200 has the
> universal form, meaning it can supply 3.3v, 1.5v, and 0.8v for the
> 8xAGP. It appears like the 8xAGP standard uses 0.8v. Could I have a
> mismatch on the video card?
[snip]

I've tried both a Sapphire 64MB 9200SE and a Sapphire 64MB 9200 and get
no post. This is in 2 A7N8X-X's that work fine with PCI video cards. The
Sapphire cards work OK in other machines.

Mike

Splendid

sweetser@world.std.com (Doug Sweetser) wrote in message news:<4e46640a.0405190544.32c3eb80@posting.google.com>...
> Hello:
>
> I wanted a box that had solid technical parts throughout. Here are
> the
> components I recently purchased:
>
> ASUS Tek motherboard A7N8X-X socket-A
> Athlon XP 2500+ 333 FSB w/512k
> 350 w Power Supply
> Radion 9200 8xAGP video card, 128 MB RAM
> 2x256 MB DDR 266 MHz, DL 2.5 memory
> 40 GB refurbished Diamond Max Plus 8 Hard Drive
> 1 DVD player
> 1 CD player
> case by quiet PC
>
> The motherboard has a light to indicate it has access to the power
> supply.
> When I hit the power button, I see these lights come on:
>
> 3 on the PS/2 keyboard (1x, briefly)
> 1 on HD (an IDE0 monitor, ~3")
> 1 on CD (flickers a few times)
> 1 on DVD (flickers)
> Power supply light stays on
>
> The CPU fan and chassis fans both work. Power gets turned off
> properly by
> holding the power switch for 4".
>
> I have hooked up two different monitors to the output from the video
> card.
> The screen does not change at all - no familiar line about the BIOS as
> the
> memory gets checked. The machine makes warmup noises for about 5",
> then
> keeps a steady hum. The speakers do NOT make any beeping sound to
> indicate it has posted.
>
> The battery has been disconnected, jumper moved, then replaced to get
> back to basic settings.
>
> I have tried to make the system "simpler", disconnecting the floppy,
> CD player, and DVD. I have reseated everything, flashlight in hand to
> make sure it "looks good." Since I have two memory cards, I have
> tried different combinations in different slots.
>
> The specs say this board needs 1.5v 8xAGP card. The 9200 has the
> universal form, meaning it can supply 3.3v, 1.5v, and 0.8v for the
> 8xAGP. It appears like the 8xAGP standard uses 0.8v. Could I have a
> mismatch on the video card?
>
> There was a post to this newsgroup in January on the same topic, but
> how the issue was resolved was not answered.
>
> This is the first time I have tried to build a box like this, so I may
> have made a basic error. After this much cash investment, a
> completely
> blank monitor is disappointing.
>
> doug

Hi Doug

Sorry to read you are experiencing the same difficulties with your
A7N8X-X as I am. Have recently aquired this mobo, and tried it with
the following

AMD Athlon 2000 XP
Twinmos 512MB DDR400
G-Force MX440 8x

+ HDD & CD-R etc

There appears to be no POST "bleeps" to identify where the board is on
start-up. I have stripped the system back to the bare board, both in
and out of the chassis. Initially the standby LED comes on and the
PSU fan turns. As soon as the CPU is added to the socket ( with usual
anti-static precautions ) and the system is powered up again, the
power LED lights for about one second then dies and so does the system

very frustrating ...............

I've tried two ATX PSU's and an AMD 2700 XP - same result

Having read the manual, it does refer to the requirement that the PSU
needs at least 1-2A on +5VSB otherwise the system does not power up.

Can anyone out there shed a light on this? Can you recommend a
branded PSU that will drive this board ?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

"Doug Sweetser" <sweetser@world.std.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I wanted a box that had solid technical parts throughout. Here are
> the components I recently purchased:
>
> ASUS Tek motherboard A7N8X-X socket-A
> Athlon XP 2500+ 333 FSB w/512k
> 350 w Power Supply
> Radion 9200 8xAGP video card, 128 MB RAM
> 2x256 MB DDR 266 MHz, DL 2.5 memory
> 40 GB refurbished Diamond Max Plus 8 Hard Drive
> 1 DVD player
> 1 CD player
> case by quiet PC
>
> The motherboard has a light to indicate it has access to the power
> supply.
> When I hit the power button, I see these lights come on:
>
> 3 on the PS/2 keyboard (1x, briefly)
> 1 on HD (an IDE0 monitor, ~3")
> 1 on CD (flickers a few times)
> 1 on DVD (flickers)
> Power supply light stays on

This is how mine boots up, so all correct here.

> The CPU fan and chassis fans both work. Power gets turned off
> properly by holding the power switch for 4".

Good.

> I have hooked up two different monitors to the output from the video
> card.
> The screen does not change at all - no familiar line about the BIOS as
> the
> memory gets checked. The machine makes warmup noises for about 5",
> then
> keeps a steady hum. The speakers do NOT make any beeping sound to
> indicate it has posted.

The case speaker is the one that beeps, not the one connected to the sound
card, make the case speaker is connected as well.

> The battery has been disconnected, jumper moved, then replaced to get
> back to basic settings.

Good move.

> I have tried to make the system "simpler", disconnecting the floppy,
> CD player, and DVD. I have reseated everything, flashlight in hand to
> make sure it "looks good." Since I have two memory cards, I have
> tried different combinations in different slots.

Damm, my next suggestion was to try each strip of memory in each slot, and
you have done that

> The specs say this board needs 1.5v 8xAGP card. The 9200 has the
> universal form, meaning it can supply 3.3v, 1.5v, and 0.8v for the
> 8xAGP. It appears like the 8xAGP standard uses 0.8v. Could I have a
> mismatch on the video card?

Possibly this is the problem, double check the graphics card specs. What is
the make and model of the graphics card?

Adam S

"Doug Sweetser" <sweetser@world.std.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I wanted a box that had solid technical parts throughout. Here are
> the
> components I recently purchased:
>
> ASUS Tek motherboard A7N8X-X socket-A
> Athlon XP 2500+ 333 FSB w/512k
> 350 w Power Supply
> Radion 9200 8xAGP video card, 128 MB RAM
> 2x256 MB DDR 266 MHz, DL 2.5 memory
> 40 GB refurbished Diamond Max Plus 8 Hard Drive
> 1 DVD player
> 1 CD player
> case by quiet PC
>
> The motherboard has a light to indicate it has access to the power
> supply.
> When I hit the power button, I see these lights come on:
>
> 3 on the PS/2 keyboard (1x, briefly)
> 1 on HD (an IDE0 monitor, ~3")
> 1 on CD (flickers a few times)
> 1 on DVD (flickers)
> Power supply light stays on
>
> The CPU fan and chassis fans both work. Power gets turned off
> properly by
> holding the power switch for 4".
>
> I have hooked up two different monitors to the output from the video
> card.
> The screen does not change at all - no familiar line about the BIOS as
> the
> memory gets checked. The machine makes warmup noises for about 5",
> then
> keeps a steady hum. The speakers do NOT make any beeping sound to
> indicate it has posted.
>
> The battery has been disconnected, jumper moved, then replaced to get
> back to basic settings.
>
> I have tried to make the system "simpler", disconnecting the floppy,
> CD player, and DVD. I have reseated everything, flashlight in hand to
> make sure it "looks good." Since I have two memory cards, I have
> tried different combinations in different slots.
>
> The specs say this board needs 1.5v 8xAGP card. The 9200 has the
> universal form, meaning it can supply 3.3v, 1.5v, and 0.8v for the
> 8xAGP. It appears like the 8xAGP standard uses 0.8v. Could I have a
> mismatch on the video card?
>
> There was a post to this newsgroup in January on the same topic, but
> how the issue was resolved was not answered.
>
> This is the first time I have tried to build a box like this, so I may
> have made a basic error. After this much cash investment, a
> completely
> blank monitor is disappointing.
>
> doug

Doug,

When I get no post I like to do the following things -

"Minimum system checkout" we used to call it - have the mobo with only the
power plugged in and the processor and heat sink/fan in. Leave out the
floppy, hard disk, video card, any other card, cdrom drive. Turn it on - you
should get the multi beep "no memory" series of beeps. If you get nothing,
then it's likely to be the mobo or processor - check the processor to make
sure no pins are bent. also, there may be something shorting the mobo where
it's screwed onto the chassis.

If you do get the series of "no memory" beeps, insert one dimm, then try
again. Do you get the completion single beep? If yes, then plug insert the
video card and try again - do you see the logo and post? If yes, plug in the
hard disk (you may have accidentally reversed the plug). Continue plugging
in devices until you find what's causing the problem.

Important - do not plug or unplug any cards (and even connectors) unless you
have the PC unplugged from the power.

Good luck!

Henry
Australia