Mboard P4C800-E

smurk

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Hello
I just bought a p4c800-e deluxe motherboard to replace a P4 Titan 875P that
was crashing.
The board runs fine and seems to be a great board.
The problem I have is as follow:
My case support 2 usb 2.0 connectors that I use to plug my camera and usb HD
that we use here as shuttle for moving very large files (1.5GB file size)
On the titan these connectors were fitting on Front USB connectors that
fitted them . On the ASUS P4c800 I have 2 USB headers named USB56 and USB78
but their mapping don't seem to match head connectors coming from the front
of the case. As I can see?? there is 2 USB per headers? From the case I
have a flat connector supporting 4 wires named VCC, USB1 -, USB 1 +, GND
can I plug these headers onto the board headers?
Also what means USB56 and USB78? is it related to the old USB and the new
USB 2.0?
Thanks for shedding some light on this
Otherwise the board is really great.
Regards
Yves Bodson

Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who having
nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as: "repeating
the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience. Which
could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be summarized as
"you can't get something for nothing."
The world wouldn't be
In such a snarl
If Marx had been Groucho
Instead of Karl.
Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
et il sera de grande valeur.
Thank you.

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Think of them as 4 USB ports:

USB5
USB6

USB7
USB8

The manual has the description of what each pin is. Did you install the PCI
backplate that came with the board? If so, you might want to use USB56 for
the backplate and USB78 for your front ports.

"Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I just bought a p4c800-e deluxe motherboard to replace a P4 Titan 875P
that
> was crashing.
> The board runs fine and seems to be a great board.
> The problem I have is as follow:
> My case support 2 usb 2.0 connectors that I use to plug my camera and usb
HD
> that we use here as shuttle for moving very large files (1.5GB file size)
> On the titan these connectors were fitting on Front USB connectors that
> fitted them . On the ASUS P4c800 I have 2 USB headers named USB56 and
USB78
> but their mapping don't seem to match head connectors coming from the
front
> of the case. As I can see?? there is 2 USB per headers? From the case I
> have a flat connector supporting 4 wires named VCC, USB1 -, USB 1 +, GND
> can I plug these headers onto the board headers?
> Also what means USB56 and USB78? is it related to the old USB and the new
> USB 2.0?
> Thanks for shedding some light on this
> Otherwise the board is really great.
> Regards
> Yves Bodson

> Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who
having
> nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
> This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as: "repeating
> the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
> results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience. Which
> could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be summarized
as
> "you can't get something for nothing."
> The world wouldn't be
> In such a snarl
> If Marx had been Groucho
> Instead of Karl.
> Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
> et il sera de grande valeur.
> Thank you.

smurk

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thank you but last question what is the difference between usb56 and usb78?
Thanks yves

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> Think of them as 4 USB ports:
>
> USB5
> USB6
>
> USB7
> USB8
>
> The manual has the description of what each pin is. Did you install the
PCI
> backplate that came with the board? If so, you might want to use USB56
for
> the backplate and USB78 for your front ports.
>

> "Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > I just bought a p4c800-e deluxe motherboard to replace a P4 Titan 875P
> that
> > was crashing.
> > The board runs fine and seems to be a great board.
> > The problem I have is as follow:
> > My case support 2 usb 2.0 connectors that I use to plug my camera and
usb
> HD
> > that we use here as shuttle for moving very large files (1.5GB file
size)
> > On the titan these connectors were fitting on Front USB connectors that
> > fitted them . On the ASUS P4c800 I have 2 USB headers named USB56 and
> USB78
> > but their mapping don't seem to match head connectors coming from the
> front
> > of the case. As I can see?? there is 2 USB per headers? From the case I
> > have a flat connector supporting 4 wires named VCC, USB1 -, USB 1 +, GND
> > can I plug these headers onto the board headers?
> > Also what means USB56 and USB78? is it related to the old USB and the
new
> > USB 2.0?
> > Thanks for shedding some light on this
> > Otherwise the board is really great.
> > Regards
> > Yves Bodson
> >

> > --

> > Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who
> having
> > nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
> > This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as:
"repeating
> > the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
> > results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience. Which
> > could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be summarized
> as
> > "you can't get something for nothing."
> > The world wouldn't be
> > In such a snarl
> > If Marx had been Groucho
> > Instead of Karl.
> > Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste
> > et il sera de grande valeur.
> > Thank you.

ALL the USB ports on the P4C800-E are USB 2.0.

There are 4 USB ports on the M/B backplate USB1, USB2, USB3, and USB4.

The 4 port USB cardslot adapter that came with your board plugs in to the
M/B headers, and this gives you USB5, USB6, USB7, and USB8.

There is NO difference. A USB port is a USB port.

Got it ? Good!

Stu.

> [...]
> > >

> > > --

> > > Then listen to Mark Twain who once advised; "blessed is the man, who
> > having
> > > nothing to say, does not proceed to prove it."
> > > This led us to consider that if "insanity is being defined as:
> "repeating
> > > the same behavior despite consistently obtaining the same undesirable
> > > results", then 'no one ever won a medal for being in the audience.
Which
> > > could relate to the second law of thermodynamics which can be
summarized
> > as
> > > "you can't get something for nothing."
> > > The world wouldn't be
> > > In such a snarl
> > > If Marx had been Groucho
> > > Instead of Karl.
> > > Le temps n'attend personne. Rassemble chaque instant qu'il te reste

smurk

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

What I got in a previous post is the following mention: " If so, you might
want to use USB56 for
the backplate and USB78 for your front ports." and in the motherboard user
book these ports are named that way USB56 and USB78...

So in good logic is that the indices 56 and 78 are just locations on the
motherboard and not usb related? or do I don't get it?
Sorry for that but it is still not clear for me because what was said
earlier..
Thank you for your patience with a poor photographer

Yves Bodson

"Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
news:1084986466.30732.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
> ALL the USB ports on the P4C800-E are USB 2.0.
>
> There are 4 USB ports on the M/B backplate USB1, USB2, USB3, and USB4.
>
> The 4 port USB cardslot adapter that came with your board plugs in to the
> M/B headers, and this gives you USB5, USB6, USB7, and USB8.
>
> There is NO difference. A USB port is a USB port.
>
> Got it ? Good!
>
> Stu.
>
> "Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you but last question what is the difference between usb56 and
> usb78?
> > Thanks yves
> >
> > "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> > > Think of them as 4 USB ports:
> > >
> > > USB5
> > > USB6
> > >
> > > USB7
> > > USB8
> > >
> > > The manual has the description of what each pin is. Did you install
the
> > PCI
> > > backplate that came with the board? If so, you might want to use
USB56
> > for
> > > the backplate and USB78 for your front ports.
> > >

> > > "Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > > that
> > usb
> > > HD
> > size)
> that
> > > USB78
> > > front
> GND
> > new

> > > having
> > "repeating
> Which
> summarized
> > > as

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

The header marked USB56 is the header for USB port 5 and 6. There are two
rows of pins there. One row is for USB port 5 and the other for USB port 6.

The header marked USB78 is the header for USB port 7 and 8. There are two
rows of pins there. One row is for USB port 7 and the other for USB port 8.

You can use whichever ones you want for the front or for a rear slot.