The ASUS P3B-F 10.000$ upgrade question

Well at least worth 75$ ;-)

ASUS P3B-F MB in question is rev. 1.04.
Has voltage regulator chip [HIP6020ACB] which can provide 1.3V-3.5V.

I want to upgrade the mobo with a Tualatin 1200MHz (or 1300 or 1400 if
avail.) Celeron with 100MHz FSB in a fcpga2 package:
http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/CPUI120001.html
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?Find=True&OrdCode=BX80530F1200256
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6C8&Find=True&OrdCode=BX80530F1200256

Now I need a Slot 1 to Socket 370 CPU Adapter Board which is hard to get
around here - but I found this fcpga compliant 'noname' slotket:
http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPS1S3701.html
And this is so far the only candidate for trial.

And further I need to change mobo to be fcpga2 compliant - since I dare not
modify the cpu pins - I found this fcpga2 Tualatin Adapter for socket 370
fcpga at the same local online-retailer:
http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPFCPGA21.html

And finally finishing the "Job" with a heat sink and a fan.
It seems to me like a dangerous sandwich - But will it work?? Should it work
provided that slotket isn't causing problems??
I know this is a hard questions - but one of you guys might have tried this
"china"-slotket model!
http://www.compgeeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=FCPGA-S1-CS-N&Pic=ADA-FCPGA-S1-CS-N-unit.jpg

Thanks
Torben Birk
5 answers Last reply
More about asus upgrade question

    try looking for a slot T adapter.
    I used to run a 1.4GHz celeron@120fsb on my old p3b-f.
    cheers

    Torben Birk wrote:
    > Well at least worth 75$ ;-)
    >
    > ASUS P3B-F MB in question is rev. 1.04.
    > Has voltage regulator chip [HIP6020ACB] which can provide 1.3V-3.5V.
    >
    > I want to upgrade the mobo with a Tualatin 1200MHz (or 1300 or 1400 if
    > avail.) Celeron with 100MHz FSB in a fcpga2 package:
    > http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/CPUI120001.html
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?Find=True&OrdCode=BX80530F1200256
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6C8&Find=True&OrdCode=BX80530F1200256
    >
    > Now I need a Slot 1 to Socket 370 CPU Adapter Board which is hard to get
    > around here - but I found this fcpga compliant 'noname' slotket:
    > http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPS1S3701.html
    > And this is so far the only candidate for trial.
    >
    > And further I need to change mobo to be fcpga2 compliant - since I dare not
    > modify the cpu pins - I found this fcpga2 Tualatin Adapter for socket 370
    > fcpga at the same local online-retailer:
    > http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPFCPGA21.html
    >
    > And finally finishing the "Job" with a heat sink and a fan.
    > It seems to me like a dangerous sandwich - But will it work?? Should it work
    > provided that slotket isn't causing problems??
    > I know this is a hard questions - but one of you guys might have tried this
    > "china"-slotket model!
    > http://www.compgeeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=FCPGA-S1-CS-N&Pic=ADA-FCPGA-S1-CS-N-unit.jpg
    >
    > Thanks
    > Torben Birk

    Slot-T adapter is the only way to go for this upgrade - supports
    Tualatin processors on the P3B-F out of the box, and you can use the
    retail Intel heat sink and fan.

    http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/slott.htm

    If your RAM is PC133, I would recommend looking for a 1Ghz or 1.1Ghz
    Tualatin Celeron and overclocking it to 133Mhz FSB - you will get much
    better performance since RAM bandwidth is more of a bottleneck than CPU
    cycles on a 440BX board. The 1Ghz Tualatin is pretty much guaranteed to
    run flawlessly at 1.33Ghz (I have 3 at 1.5Ghz), and you'd have to be
    unlucky to find a 1.1 that won't do 1.46Ghz reliably (although you may
    have to increase Vcore slightly - Slot-T has jumpers for that). The
    1.2Ghz and higher chips have a much lower probability of stability on
    133Mhz FSB.

    HTH

    P2B

    Thanks for the advices! I will definitely go for the Slot-T solution.
    I found a retailer in Germany (http://www.jes-computer.de) who has it in
    stock :-))
    They actually make an offer bundling it into a 1400MHz Tualatin and fan.
    http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=15905

    Unfortunately I have a mix of PC100 and PC133 SDRAM.

    Torben Birk
    Denmark

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:38:53 +0200, "Torben Birk"
    <tbirk@post6.tele.banana.dk> wrote:

    >Thanks for the advices! I will definitely go for the Slot-T solution.
    >I found a retailer in Germany (http://www.jes-computer.de) who has it in
    >stock :-))
    >They actually make an offer bundling it into a 1400MHz Tualatin and fan.
    >http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=15905
    >
    >Unfortunately I have a mix of PC100 and PC133 SDRAM.

    All these celerons are for fsb100 as default. No ram problem.

    P3B-F is with BX chipset. It is rather easy to use most adapters for
    just fcpga.

    http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/tualeron_compatible_slotkets.html

    http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/tualeron_success_table.html

    when one make some few hardware mods.

    Without doing any mods it is even possible to combine 2 adapters from
    computerparts.dk

    http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPS1S3701.html

    and this

    http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPFCPGA21.html

    price just 98 + 98 d.kr.

    and then buy a celeron 1300 at compumail.dk

    The 1400 is not worth the extra costs.

    best regards

    John

    Hi John

    This enclosure only serve as a purpose for the academic interest since I've
    already bougth the expected bullit proof Slot-T-solution.
    Could you bring about some documentation or some relevant success stories or
    perhaps you made it your self - anyway I am thinking of my
    "sandwich"-solution (fcpga2):
    P3B-F+
    http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPS1S3701.html +
    http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPFCPGA21.html +
    Celeron Tualatin (256KB/0.13µm/100MHz) 1300/1400Mhz +
    Any proper 370 cooler.

    Why is the 1400 is not worth the extra costs? 6?!? Think of the extra
    "clockwork" you get from the 1400MHz processor. In one year it adds up to a
    lot. Unclocked and a round-the-clock working processor supplies you with
    atleast an extra 100MHz times a year equals more than 3.000.000.000.000.000
    clock cycles. :-)) More than enough to send Apollo11 to the moon again. :-o.
    A 1400MHz processor can always be overclocked to a higher frequency than a
    1300 not considdering electron tunnelling.

    My concers of mixing PC100 and PC133 was that it was not solely of the PC133
    type. In that case I would have chosen the PIII-S Tualatin 133 @ 1.40MHz (or
    1.13 or 1.26). It has additionally a 512KB full-speed cache.

    Cheers

    Torben Birk

    "JK" <junk@mail.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:38:53 +0200, "Torben Birk"
    > <tbirk@post6.tele.banana.dk> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for the advices! I will definitely go for the Slot-T solution.
    > >I found a retailer in Germany (http://www.jes-computer.de) who has it in
    > >stock :-))
    > >They actually make an offer bundling it into a 1400MHz Tualatin and fan.
    >
    >http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=15
    905

    > >Unfortunately I have a mix of PC100 and PC133 SDRAM.
    > >

    > All these celerons are for fsb100 as default. No ram problem.
    >
    > P3B-F is with BX chipset. It is rather easy to use most adapters for
    > just fcpga.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/tualeron_compatible_slotkets.html
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/tualeron_success_table.html
    >
    > when one make some few hardware mods.
    >
    > Without doing any mods it is even possible to combine 2 adapters from
    > computerparts.dk
    >
    > http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPS1S3701.html
    >
    > and this
    >
    > http://www.computer-parts.dk/cgi-bin/shop/ADPFCPGA21.html