Jetdirect Emulator

In my tiny Windows XP network of two computers I installed a Laserjet
3200 FAX/Scanner/Printer. It is possible to do network faxing if the
machine would be connected to a Jetdirect box. This has the
disadvantage of a separate box and power supply. I would like to avoid
that, but using one of the two networked computers as a print server.
Is there anywhere something like a Jetdirect emulator in SW which would
fake a Jetdirect box to the second computer on the net?

- Wilfried
2 answers Last reply
More about jetdirect emulator

    Hi Wilfried,

    Yes, using one of the computers as print server is a correct solution in
    your case. Of course you won't be able to see the printer web server from
    the 2nd computer, or it obliges you to switch on both computers in the case
    you want to print something from the second one but as you mentioned before,
    it shouldn't be a problem for you.
    About a Jetdirect SW emulation, no idea!
    Hope this helps.

    Benjamin

    "Wilfried Kern" <newsgroup-only@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > In my tiny Windows XP network of two computers I installed a Laserjet
    > 3200 FAX/Scanner/Printer. It is possible to do network faxing if the
    > machine would be connected to a Jetdirect box. This has the
    > disadvantage of a separate box and power supply. I would like to avoid
    > that, but using one of the two networked computers as a print server.
    > Is there anywhere something like a Jetdirect emulator in SW which would
    > fake a Jetdirect box to the second computer on the net?
    >
    > - Wilfried

    Thanks Benjamin.

    Just printing is not a problem at all. I install the multfunction unit
    (printer, scanner, fax) on one computer (local computer) as a printer
    and enable the network share for it. Then I install the printer driver
    on the second computer and select the printer from the network share.
    Works fine. My problem is remote faxing and scanning. These functions
    are only installable either on a local computer or if the machine is
    connected to a Jetdirect printer server (remote or network faxing,
    scanning). Here is my real problem. To solve it, I need the local
    computer to act as a Jetdirect printer server. But how?

    - Wilfried

    "hp_newsgroup" <millner@hp.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi Wilfried,
    >
    > Yes, using one of the computers as print server is a correct solution
    in
    > your case. Of course you won't be able to see the printer web server
    from
    > the 2nd computer, or it obliges you to switch on both computers in
    the case
    > you want to print something from the second one but as you mentioned
    before,
    > it shouldn't be a problem for you.
    > About a Jetdirect SW emulation, no idea!
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Benjamin
    >
    > "Wilfried Kern" <newsgroup-only@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > > In my tiny Windows XP network of two computers I installed a
    Laserjet
    > > 3200 FAX/Scanner/Printer. It is possible to do network faxing if
    the
    > > machine would be connected to a Jetdirect box. This has the
    > > disadvantage of a separate box and power supply. I would like to
    avoid
    > > that, but using one of the two networked computers as a print
    server.
    > > Is there anywhere something like a Jetdirect emulator in SW which
    would
    > > fake a Jetdirect box to the second computer on the net?
    > >
    > > - Wilfried

Printers Computers Peripherals