installing additional hdd

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

i would like to install a second HDD but i'm not too sure how to go about it.
can anyone help with some productive pointers?

Zach

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

I also am trying to install an additional hard drive. I wanted to add an external hard drive, but also heard the cheapest thing to do is to buy an internal hard drive and an enclosure, then put them together making a hodgepodge external HD. So I bought a 90 GB hitachi hard drive and a firewire enclosure. It seems like the primary purpose of the enclosure is to somehow convert the in/out of the 40-pin hard drive to a firewire cable that goes into the back of the computer tower.

Mechanically everything went together well, and the hard drive spins up when it gets power. When the firewire is plugged into the tower, I get the upbeat "duh-dum" sound that I usually get when I plug in a firewire video camera or USB disk. The only thing is, the drive does not show up under "my computer." After the sound I get no further prompts or Windows help. I checked the device manager under 'hardware' tab for 'system' in the control panel. The device manager says I have a firewire device under "Disk drives" and says the device is working correctly. When I check "properties" and go to the "volume" tab, no data about the hard drive is displayed (even after clicking "populate."

I don't know why Windows XP doesn't show my hard drive on "my computer," or how it recognizies it without recognizing it completely. I also don't know for sure how the jumper pins should be set on the back of the internal component of the hard drive i made. Manuals for the hard drive and enclosure say they should be set to "Device 0 Master," but a friend of mine said master hard drives are what contain the operating system, not just extra disk space. I have tried the same procedure for plugging in the firewire with the pins set for "Device 0 Master" and "Device 0 Slave." Neither seem to work.

Zach

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

earlier i described a problem i was having with recognition of an unformated HD. I just read other posts and figured out how to fix it. This is my first time on the Microsoft help boards. Thank you.

norm

Well Zach, good for you. At least you had the smarts to go through the
discussion board and find a solution to a similar problem on your own. A
very simple way is to go to google groups, find this or similar groups and
do a search.
"zach" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> earlier i described a problem i was having with recognition of an
unformated HD. I just read other posts and figured out how to fix it. This
is my first time on the Microsoft help boards. Thank you.

You're welcome.

"zach" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| earlier i described a problem i was having with
recognition of an unformated HD. I just read other posts and
figured out how to fix it. This is my first time on the
Microsoft help boards. Thank you.

All new hard drives will come with detailed installation instructions.
Probably the most important thing to check is the jumpers at the rear of the
drive are correctly configured as master or slave.

Remember that once installed, Windows cannot 'see' the drive until it is
partitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter.

Once you have the installation done, boot up, right click on My Computer,
select Manage. On the following screen, select Disk Management. The drive
should appear on the right hand side of the screen... partition it, format
it and then assign it a drive letter and all should be good.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com