Win 2003 Server installation on P4B533-E with Raid

Hello,

i'm trying to install Win 2003 Server Standard on my Computer. There are 2
HD connected to the Fasttrak onboard raid-controller, running in raid 0.
Although i press F6 during setup to install the promise driver V 2.00.0.34,
setup aborts because no harddrives are recognized. did someone manage to
install win 2003 server with this configuration? if yes, how?

thanks,

Jens
2 answers Last reply
More about 2003 server installation p4b533 raid

    Hi,

    It is *not* a good idea to install any OS onto a raid 0 disc.
    On a raid 0 disc you have in excess of twice the probability of system
    failure than if you use a single disc since the failur eof either physical
    disc will result in total loss of data.

    Under most circumstances you will gain little if any noticeable performance
    improvement using raid 0. Video editing is an example where people do
    frequently use raid 0 to benefit for its high sustained read and write
    ability.

    Raid 0 reduces resilience.

    I would urge you to instead use raid 1 - twice the cost per GB since 2 discs
    = 1, but you gain resilience and gain in performance for reads, slightly for
    writes (reportedly - Intel site for Intel ICH5R raid 1). You will also have
    less stress over backups although these are always important.

    In either case, it sounds like you are either not supplying the correct
    drivers on floppy, or you are inadvertantly skipping over the actual driver
    install. You will know if the drivers are loaded as you will see the floppy
    read and the driver on screen, then it will ask a Second time if you have
    drivers to supply. Some advise to press F6 continuously prior to the message
    as some drivers may be loaded before the prompt appears (haven't experienced
    this, so it could be a load of horse).

    It is also best to leave the driver floppy in the floppy drive until you
    have to remove it. For some installs (all?) it needs to read the floppy
    twice.

    HTH
    - Tim

    "Jens Hofmeier" <homni@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > i'm trying to install Win 2003 Server Standard on my Computer. There are 2
    > HD connected to the Fasttrak onboard raid-controller, running in raid 0.
    > Although i press F6 during setup to install the promise driver V
    > 2.00.0.34,
    > setup aborts because no harddrives are recognized. did someone manage to
    > install win 2003 server with this configuration? if yes, how?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Jens

    Hi Tim,

    thanx for your short introduction about raid, although it contained nothing
    new to me.
    However the problem was solved by using the original driver provided by Asus
    on the cd shipped with the board.

    bye,

    Jens

Asus NAS / RAID Servers Motherboards