RAID 0 on P4PE

In my PC is a Asus P4PE motherboard with Promise Fasttrack 376 controller.
On Primary IDE I have an Maxtor 80 Gb. 7200 Rpm 2 Mb. Because I use my PC's
te work with video I bought a second harddisk (Samsung 160 Gb. 7200 Bmb.)
Because of the better performance I connected the second drive to the
Promise controller IDE. It configures RAID 1+0. The performance is very
good: the Maxtor on Sisoft sandra 27.000, the Samsung drive on the Promise
37.000. A performance boost.

There is a slight problem: when booting, the booting proces lasts much much
longer: 3 tot 4 times and the Maxtor disk is continuing working ore
something, it rattles.

Without the new harddisk it boots much faster.

Has someone an explenation?

Wiel

When setting up any RAID array, you HAVE to use identically sized
harddrives. You did not.

--
DaveW

In article <bpRqc.80869$iF6.6872518@attbi_s02>, none@zero.org says...
> When setting up any RAID array, you HAVE to use identically sized
> harddrives. You did not.

Not true at all - you have to allocate identical size spaces on each
drive. If you had a 160GB drive and a 240GB drive you could only create
a mirror or stripe with a max size of 160GB.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)