Sandisk SD WiFi throughput

June 10, 2004 1:34:05 AM

I was wondering if I should expect better than 2Mb/s throughput with my SD
WiFi card and iPaq 1940? I have a Microsoft wireless router.
--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC)
Anonymous

Kevin,

That question is all relative depending on your proximity to your AP, as
well as orientation of both the transmitting and receiving antennae. If
you are doing direct connection via ad hoc you results will also vary on
the device you are connecting to some chipsets have better range and
throughput. I have results in the range from .334 Mbps to .422 Mbps with
various laptops and devices with a SanDisk SD wifi on an HP 2210 using
Chariot Comparison, but in talking to the foks at SanDisk and SyChip (the
people that make the chipset for SanDisk and other SD WiFi cards) that the
main reasons for the low speed throughput were due to the limitaions of
the software and hardware issues in the H2210's SDIO interface. So there
are firmware issues that play into low througput, which is theoretically
capable of supporting a 2.5MB/s (20Mbps) transfer rate and it acutally
performed a bit better on a Dell Axim X3 than the 2210 at almost twice as
much (.663Mbps to 1.119Mbps).

So again your mileage may vary depending on your devices and setup...

Hope this helps...

Steven 'fyiguy' Hughes - Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
BostonPocketPC.com
http://www.bostonpocketpc.com
--

Kevin B. wrote:

> I was wondering if I should expect better than 2Mb/s throughput with my SD
> WiFi card and iPaq 1940? I have a Microsoft wireless router.
> --
> Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC)
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 7:58:52 AM