Microsoft Keyboard Causes Bootup to hang

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
P4 3.2ghz HT
512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
Windows XP Home

I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers

The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2 connection
to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.

When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot. It
powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)

If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power down,
reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

A very bizarre problem!

I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!

Any advice on this greatly appreciated!

Nik.

Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly
More about microsoft keyboard bootup hang
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    >
    > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    connection
    > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    >
    > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    It
    > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
    > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)

    A keyboard and mouse must be detected for the system to boot. I use the
    Wireless MultiMedia model. Your kbd/mouse is not being properly detected.
    Since it does run correctly using the reset, consider leaving the power on
    at shutdown, and just using reset to start your system. (works fine for me
    running W'98) Since your board has two ps/2 ports, try using the green
    adapter plug that came with your unit. Some systems don't detect well using
    the USB. Try running both keyboard and mouse on the ps/2 ports.

    Go to system properties and see that the set is named properly...... if so
    install new driver from your OS disc.

    Replace the cheap batteries that came with the unit with new alkaline
    batteries. Go to control panel and try the "add new hardware" utility to
    see if you can get it to load a new keyboard driver. It's a MS unit, so I
    would try to load drivers from your OS disc. Failing that, try to make a
    new boot disc and see if you can get it to boot properly. If you can get
    it to boot from a boot disc, I would remove the kbd/mouse from system/device
    manager, and boot from the boot disc in the hope that it will detect it as
    new hardware and load the correct driver set.

    > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    down,
    > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Just a suggestion. Have you tried to update BIOS for a new version

    "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    >
    > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    connection
    > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    >
    > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    It
    > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
    > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    >
    > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    down,
    > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    >
    > A very bizarre problem!
    >
    > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    >
    > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Nik.

    > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    A mouse is not required for the bios to complete, and access the OS
    partition.
    "Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    > >
    > > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > connection
    > > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    > >
    > > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    > It
    > > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    switch
    > > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    >
    > A keyboard and mouse must be detected for the system to boot. I use the
    > Wireless MultiMedia model. Your kbd/mouse is not being properly detected.
    > Since it does run correctly using the reset, consider leaving the power on
    > at shutdown, and just using reset to start your system. (works fine for
    me
    > running W'98) Since your board has two ps/2 ports, try using the green
    > adapter plug that came with your unit. Some systems don't detect well
    using
    > the USB. Try running both keyboard and mouse on the ps/2 ports.
    >
    > Go to system properties and see that the set is named properly...... if
    so
    > install new driver from your OS disc.
    >
    > Replace the cheap batteries that came with the unit with new alkaline
    > batteries. Go to control panel and try the "add new hardware" utility to
    > see if you can get it to load a new keyboard driver. It's a MS unit, so I
    > would try to load drivers from your OS disc. Failing that, try to make a
    > new boot disc and see if you can get it to boot properly. If you can get
    > it to boot from a boot disc, I would remove the kbd/mouse from
    system/device
    > manager, and boot from the boot disc in the hope that it will detect it as
    > new hardware and load the correct driver set.
    >

    > > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > down,
    > > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    As per the specs I posted "Latest BIOS"

    Thanks anyway.

    Nik.

    "Kevin Haklar" <kjh@f2s.com> wrote in message
    > Just a suggestion. Have you tried to update BIOS for a new version
    >
    > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    > >
    > > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > connection
    > > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    > >
    > > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    > It
    > > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    switch
    > > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    > >
    > > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > down,
    > > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    > >
    > > A very bizarre problem!
    > >
    > > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    > >
    > > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Nik.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    >
    > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    connection
    > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    >
    > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    It
    > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
    > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    >
    > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    down,
    > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    >
    > A very bizarre problem!
    >
    > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    >
    > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!

    Have a look in the BIOS and see if "Legacy USB mouse/keyboad support"
    (or similar) is enabled. Try it with both settings.
    It could also be that your USB devices are taking too much power from the
    USB bus - try disconnecting all USB devices other than mouse/keyboard.
    If that's no help, I suggest you go through the steps that "Pepperoni"
    suggests.
    HTH
    --
    Rob
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I've tried every combination of USB devices. Bottom line is, if the Keyboard
    is attached, the system hangs. I've done it with JUST the keyboard attached,
    it's PS2. Weird fault!!

    Nik.

    "Rob Hemmings" <SpamDaMan@nowhere.noway.con> wrote in message
    > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    > >
    > > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > connection
    > > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    > >
    > > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    > It
    > > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    switch
    > > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    > >
    > > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > down,
    > > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    > >
    > > A very bizarre problem!
    > >
    > > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    > >
    > > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Have a look in the BIOS and see if "Legacy USB mouse/keyboad support"
    > (or similar) is enabled. Try it with both settings.
    > It could also be that your USB devices are taking too much power from the
    > USB bus - try disconnecting all USB devices other than mouse/keyboard.
    > If that's no help, I suggest you go through the steps that "Pepperoni"
    > suggests.
    > HTH
    > --
    > Rob

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Go into the Bios and disable Fast Booting. It should be fine then
    "Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    > >
    > > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > connection
    > > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    > >
    > > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    > It
    > > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    switch
    > > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    >
    > A keyboard and mouse must be detected for the system to boot. I use the
    > Wireless MultiMedia model. Your kbd/mouse is not being properly detected.
    > Since it does run correctly using the reset, consider leaving the power on
    > at shutdown, and just using reset to start your system. (works fine for
    me
    > running W'98) Since your board has two ps/2 ports, try using the green
    > adapter plug that came with your unit. Some systems don't detect well
    using
    > the USB. Try running both keyboard and mouse on the ps/2 ports.
    >
    > Go to system properties and see that the set is named properly...... if
    so
    > install new driver from your OS disc.
    >
    > Replace the cheap batteries that came with the unit with new alkaline
    > batteries. Go to control panel and try the "add new hardware" utility to
    > see if you can get it to load a new keyboard driver. It's a MS unit, so I
    > would try to load drivers from your OS disc. Failing that, try to make a
    > new boot disc and see if you can get it to boot properly. If you can get
    > it to boot from a boot disc, I would remove the kbd/mouse from
    system/device
    > manager, and boot from the boot disc in the hope that it will detect it as
    > new hardware and load the correct driver set.
    >

    > > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > down,
    > > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    FASTBOOT disabled, problem remains. I might try re-installing the drivers...

    Nik

    "n" <neal206(AT)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Go into the Bios and disable Fast Booting. It should be fine then
    > "Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > > Windows XP Home
    > > >
    > > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft
    (optical
    > > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    > > >
    > > > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > > connection
    > > > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    > > >
    > > > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not
    boot.
    > > It
    > > > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > > > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    > switch
    > > > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    > >
    > > A keyboard and mouse must be detected for the system to boot. I use the
    > > Wireless MultiMedia model. Your kbd/mouse is not being properly
    detected.
    > > Since it does run correctly using the reset, consider leaving the power
    on
    > > at shutdown, and just using reset to start your system. (works fine for
    > me
    > > running W'98) Since your board has two ps/2 ports, try using the green
    > > adapter plug that came with your unit. Some systems don't detect well
    > using
    > > the USB. Try running both keyboard and mouse on the ps/2 ports.
    > >
    > > Go to system properties and see that the set is named properly...... if
    > so
    > > install new driver from your OS disc.
    > >
    > > Replace the cheap batteries that came with the unit with new alkaline
    > > batteries. Go to control panel and try the "add new hardware" utility
    > > see if you can get it to load a new keyboard driver. It's a MS unit, so
    > > would try to load drivers from your OS disc. Failing that, try to make
    > > new boot disc and see if you can get it to boot properly. If you can
    get
    > > it to boot from a boot disc, I would remove the kbd/mouse from
    > system/device
    > > manager, and boot from the boot disc in the hope that it will detect it
    as
    > > new hardware and load the correct driver set.
    > >

    > > > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > > > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > > > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > > > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > > down,
    > > > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Tried Uninstalling the drivers, but I can't seem to get device manager to
    recognise "Wireless Desktop Keyboard Elite" or "Wireless Intellimouse
    explorer 2.0 with Tilt Wheel" - It says "standard 101/102-key....." and
    "Microsoft USB Wireless mouse - Intellipoint"

    Could this be an issue? They both seem to work ok. It used to say "Wireless
    USB hub..." under the keyboard settings, I can't seem to get that back!

    Anymore advice???

    Thanks again

    Nik.

    > FASTBOOT disabled, problem remains. I might try re-installing the
    drivers...

    > Nik
    >
    > "n" <neal206(AT)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Go into the Bios and disable Fast Booting. It should be fine then
    > > "Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > (optical

    > > > connection

    > boot.
    > > > It
    > > switch
    > > >
    > > > A keyboard and mouse must be detected for the system to boot. I use
    the
    > > > Wireless MultiMedia model. Your kbd/mouse is not being properly
    > detected.
    > > > Since it does run correctly using the reset, consider leaving the
    power
    > on
    > > > at shutdown, and just using reset to start your system. (works fine
    for
    > > me
    > > > running W'98) Since your board has two ps/2 ports, try using the
    green
    > > > adapter plug that came with your unit. Some systems don't detect well
    > > using
    > > > the USB. Try running both keyboard and mouse on the ps/2 ports.
    > > >
    > > > Go to system properties and see that the set is named properly......
    if
    > > so
    > > > install new driver from your OS disc.
    > > >
    > > > Replace the cheap batteries that came with the unit with new alkaline
    > > > batteries. Go to control panel and try the "add new hardware" utility
    > > > see if you can get it to load a new keyboard driver. It's a MS unit,
    so
    > > > would try to load drivers from your OS disc. Failing that, try to
    make
    > > > new boot disc and see if you can get it to boot properly. If you can
    > get
    > > > it to boot from a boot disc, I would remove the kbd/mouse from
    > > system/device
    > > > manager, and boot from the boot disc in the hope that it will detect
    it
    > as
    > > > new hardware and load the correct driver set.

    > > > down,
    ONLY.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In article <c8i63l$e7q$1@sparta.btinternet.com>,
    nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers

    Wireless keyboards and mice are nothing but trouble, avoid them.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hmmm....guess we had better tell the tens of thousands of people using them
    every day that they are nothing but trouble and to avoid them....

    Bobby

    "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Wireless keyboards and mice are nothing but trouble, avoid them.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I've just paid £100 for these. I am determined to get them working, this a
    Microsoft+Asus issue (Pretty big names!) I'm sure Mr ASUS has met with Mr
    GATES at some point and there must be a way of working round it!!

    ;-)

    "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > In article <c8i63l$e7q$1@sparta.btinternet.com>,
    > nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com says...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    >
    > Wireless keyboards and mice are nothing but trouble, avoid them.

    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I think you were robbed. My MS wireless MM kbd/mouse was $54 with free
    shipping.

    I like them. only problem is the mouse batteries need replacing about once
    a month.

    > I've just paid £100 for these. I am determined to get them working, this a
    > Microsoft+Asus issue (Pretty big names!) I'm sure Mr ASUS has met with Mr
    > GATES at some point and there must be a way of working round it!!
    >
    > ;-)

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In article <#Gp7ytsPEHA.1348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com says...
    > Hmmm....guess we had better tell the tens of thousands of people using them
    > every day that they are nothing but trouble and to avoid them....
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >>

    > > Wireless keyboards and mice are nothing but trouble, avoid them.

    Like everything there are two sides. In most cases I find people trying
    to use IR or Radio type keyboards that call to report problems with
    their systems/mouse/keyboard more frequently than people with wired
    keyboards/mice.

    I had one chap that got wireless everything and had no end to problems.
    Once we got rid of the logitec wireless keyboard life got easy. It's not
    always the keyboard, it can be the drivers, and often is.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    I have one of these & I know others that do too - no problems at all.

    1st step: ascertain if there is a fault with your keyboard - try someone
    elses on your machine & / or try yours on a machine with one already and see
    if it works.

    This will actually tell you a couple of things: problem with keyboard, or
    problem with system. I have read of mobos with earthing problems at the PS/2
    connector so you can't rule this out.

    Batteries? They're fine - been runnnig on one set of batteries since last
    year - work all day every day. The batteries are NMH that are near their end
    of life. Battery life is substantially better than the original wireless
    devices.

    - Tim

    "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    >
    > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > connection
    > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    >
    > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    > It
    > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
    > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    >
    > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > down,
    > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    >
    > A very bizarre problem!
    >
    > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    >
    > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Nik.

    > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Funy you should mention earthing, when I was disconnecting each component
    piece-by-poece, the audio Jack touched the metal at the rear of the PC
    (Whilst it was off) and it buzzes the speakers. Also, when I very first log
    onto my screen name, right after the windows start-up sound has finished
    playing, there is a little crackle from the speakers (Creative I-Trigue
    2.1).

    I accept that a bad earth could cause problems, but wouldn't this affect
    wired & wireless alike?

    Just another thought.

    Nik.

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c8jmfm$s69$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have one of these & I know others that do too - no problems at all.
    >
    > 1st step: ascertain if there is a fault with your keyboard - try someone
    > elses on your machine & / or try yours on a machine with one already and
    see
    > if it works.
    >
    > This will actually tell you a couple of things: problem with keyboard, or
    > problem with system. I have read of mobos with earthing problems at the
    PS/2
    > connector so you can't rule this out.
    >
    > Batteries? They're fine - been runnnig on one set of batteries since last
    > year - work all day every day. The batteries are NMH that are near their
    end
    > of life. Battery life is substantially better than the original wireless
    > devices.
    >
    > - Tim
    >

    > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
    > > P4 3.2ghz HT
    > > 512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
    > > Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
    > > 200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
    > > wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers
    > >
    > > The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2
    > > connection
    > > to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.
    > >
    > > When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.
    > > It
    > > powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
    > > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    switch
    > > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    > >
    > > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    > > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    > > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    > > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    > > down,
    > > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    > >
    > > A very bizarre problem!
    > >
    > > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    > >
    > > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Nik.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Nic,

    Please try and answer the questions below. Someone may be able to point 100%
    at the cause if you do...

    There are several things you could do to check earthing problems that
    include checking the resistance between the earth plug on the mains cable
    and the chassis on the PC - this should be zero ohms. Another is to check
    the mounting of the PCB in the case. Cases have light metal flanges aroung
    each IO socket on the rear. These are supposed to touch the socket mounted
    on the mobo. They are there to stop EFI / RFI leakage. Also check that the
    mobo has been mounted correctly. Most usually metal posts are supplied and
    they provide earth conduction to the motherboard.

    If you did not have the correct chassis plate (IE none as some people have)
    and a problem with the earth and .... a the keyboards USB cable plugged into
    a self powered hub then... all sorts of things could go wrong. Earth is
    there to protect things when things go wrong, so if there is no earth or
    partial earth then small amounts of current can go all over the place.
    Recently Paul stated something about PSU's pumping out a small flow to earth
    being 'normal'.

    Have you tried the keyboard on another PC yet?
    Have you tried another one of these keyboards you know is working from
    another PC on your PC?

    When you plug in the keyboard, plug the keyboard directly into the PS/2 slot
    & plug the USB mouse connector into the PS/2 style adapter (green) into the
    adjacent Mouse port. Do *not* run the mouse through an intermediate USB hub.
    The keyboard socket is always in the corner towards the edge of the PC. Is
    this correct? If in doubt, pull the mouse out. If in doubt pull out *all*
    USB stuff & external peripherals until this problem is solved.

    Check the keyboard plug does insert correctly. On several occasions I have
    had plugs and adapters (like the green one) where the plastic is too far
    down the sleeve to allow the plug to go in far enough - this is in part due
    to the case. Checked?

    Do not unplug / plug in keyboards at run time. It may still happen that this
    can blow an internal motherboard fuse or worse, there is no fuse there any
    longer. (This used to be a problem, I don't know if it still is).

    You say the keyboard is an "Elite". Is this a bluetooth keyboard? If it is
    the story may be different.... as I have the "Microsoft Wireless Natural
    Multimedia keyboard" and am using that to describe everything..

    HTH
    - Tim

> [...]
    >> > signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not
    > switch
    >> > it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)
    >> >
    >> > If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
    >> > If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
    >> > I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
    >> > If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power
    >> > down,
    >> > reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.
    >> >
    >> > A very bizarre problem!
    >> >
    >> > I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!
    >> >
    >> > Any advice on this greatly appreciated!
    >> >
    >> > Nik.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > =======================================================
    >> > Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Note replies........

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c8kgug$jlh$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Nic,
    >
    > Please try and answer the questions below. Someone may be able to point
    100%
    > at the cause if you do...
    >
    > There are several things you could do to check earthing problems that
    > include checking the resistance between the earth plug on the mains cable
    > and the chassis on the PC - this should be zero ohms. Another is to check
    > the mounting of the PCB in the case. Cases have light metal flanges aroung
    > each IO socket on the rear. These are supposed to touch the socket mounted
    > on the mobo. They are there to stop EFI / RFI leakage. Also check that the
    > mobo has been mounted correctly. Most usually metal posts are supplied and
    > they provide earth conduction to the motherboard.

    I have no way of checking resistance! Sorry, not that technical.

    > If you did not have the correct chassis plate (IE none as some people
    have)
    > and a problem with the earth and .... a the keyboards USB cable plugged
    into
    > a self powered hub then... all sorts of things could go wrong. Earth is
    > there to protect things when things go wrong, so if there is no earth or
    > partial earth then small amounts of current can go all over the place.
    > Recently Paul stated something about PSU's pumping out a small flow to
    earth
    > being 'normal'.

    It's a MESH PLC computer. I bought the K/B separately. I cost a small
    fortune and looks very well put together.

    > Have you tried the keyboard on another PC yet?
    > Have you tried another one of these keyboards you know is working from
    > another PC on your PC?

    No other pC to try the K/B on, don't know anyone with this type of K/B

    > When you plug in the keyboard, plug the keyboard directly into the PS/2
    slot
    > & plug the USB mouse connector into the PS/2 style adapter (green) into
    the
    > adjacent Mouse port. Do *not* run the mouse through an intermediate USB
    hub.
    > The keyboard socket is always in the corner towards the edge of the PC. Is
    > this correct? If in doubt, pull the mouse out. If in doubt pull out *all*
    > USB stuff & external peripherals until this problem is solved.

    All peripheral disconnected and all combinations tried. The K/B is in the
    correct socket, the mouse is in USB (But I've tried it in PS/2 and it works
    ok, but doesn't solve the problem) No hub is being used. The system only
    hangs when this k/b is connected to the PS/2 socket, regardless of any other
    combination of peripherals.

    > Check the keyboard plug does insert correctly. On several occasions I have
    > had plugs and adapters (like the green one) where the plastic is too far
    > down the sleeve to allow the plug to go in far enough - this is in part
    due
    > to the case. Checked?

    It must be in correctly, I've pushed it right in, and all I need to do is
    press the reset button on the machine, and it works fine. I assume this
    wouldn't be the case if it wasn't inserted properly?

    > Do not unplug / plug in keyboards at run time. It may still happen that
    this
    > can blow an internal motherboard fuse or worse, there is no fuse there any
    > longer. (This used to be a problem, I don't know if it still is).

    Never have/would. Thanks.

    > You say the keyboard is an "Elite". Is this a bluetooth keyboard? If it is
    > the story may be different.... as I have the "Microsoft Wireless Natural
    > Multimedia keyboard" and am using that to describe everything..

    Elite is not Bluetooth. it's wireless 105keys, with tilt-wheel on the left.
    Lots of multimedia buttons too.

    > HTH
    > - Tim
    >

    > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Funy you should mention earthing, when I was disconnecting each
    component
    > > piece-by-poece, the audio Jack touched the metal at the rear of the PC
    > > (Whilst it was off) and it buzzes the speakers. Also, when I very first
    > > log
    > > onto my screen name, right after the windows start-up sound has finished
    > > playing, there is a little crackle from the speakers (Creative I-Trigue
    > > 2.1).
    > >
    > > I accept that a bad earth could cause problems, but wouldn't this affect
    > > wired & wireless alike?
    > >
    > > Just another thought.
    > >
    > > Nik.
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I have one of these & I know others that do too - no problems at all.
    > >>
    > >> 1st step: ascertain if there is a fault with your keyboard - try
    someone
    > >> elses on your machine & / or try yours on a machine with one already
    and
    > > see
    > >> if it works.
    > >>
    > >> This will actually tell you a couple of things: problem with keyboard,
    or
    > >> problem with system. I have read of mobos with earthing problems at the
    > > PS/2
    > >> connector so you can't rule this out.
    > >>
    > >> Batteries? They're fine - been runnnig on one set of batteries since
    last
    > >> year - work all day every day. The batteries are NMH that are near
    their
    > > end
    > >> of life. Battery life is substantially better than the original
    wireless
    > >> devices.
    > >>
    > >> - Tim
    > >>

    > >> "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > > switch

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks for all your ideas. It wasn't til I read a review for the Logitech
    Desktop MX Keyboard & mouse, written by a guy who had the EXACT same problem
    as me, that I realised I was maybe on a loser! He was told by Microsoft that
    it was an unsolveable problem, and they swapped it. Second one did the same.
    He bought Logitech, perfecto!

    I've sent the Keyboard back, the dealer has given me a full refund (Thanks
    AMAZON, great service - even refunded my postage)

    I've tried my neighbours wireless KB and it's perfect. I've added the
    original KB that came with the PC (Logitech) and the PC starts first time,
    every time. Good riddance Microsoft "Not-so-Elite" Keyboard ;-)

    Cheers

    Nik.

> [...]
    left.
    > Lots of multimedia buttons too.
    >
    > > HTH
    > > - Tim
    > >

    > > "Walmsley's" <nik.walmsleySPAMKILL@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > > Funy you should mention earthing, when I was disconnecting each
    > component
    > > > piece-by-poece, the audio Jack touched the metal at the rear of the PC
    > > > (Whilst it was off) and it buzzes the speakers. Also, when I very
    first
    > > > log
    > > > onto my screen name, right after the windows start-up sound has
    finished
    > > > playing, there is a little crackle from the speakers (Creative
    I-Trigue
    > > > 2.1).
    > > >
    > > > I accept that a bad earth could cause problems, but wouldn't this

Asus Wireless Microsoft Keyboards Motherboards