Asus K8V Deluxe - single SATA - no Raid

Hi,

First time with SATA so I rather ask this question before building the
system.

The manual only deals with sata raids, but I just want to install one hard
disk and install xp on it.

I´ve read of lots of problems with mal-configuration, so I have these
questions:

1) to which sata connector on the board do I have to install the
sata-data-cable

2) do I need to install a RAID driver during XP Installation or can I simply
switch of SATA in the BIOS

3) if I installed a RAID driver without using the RAID, does this mean
trouble in the future

Hope someone can spare me some time and trouble building up my system

Thanks

Addy
3 answers Last reply
More about asus deluxe single sata raid

    >Hi,
    >
    >First time with SATA so I rather ask this question before building the
    >system.
    >
    >The manual only deals with sata raids, but I just want to install one hard
    >disk and install xp on it.
    >
    >I´ve read of lots of problems with mal-configuration, so I have these
    >questions:
    >
    >1) to which sata connector on the board do I have to install the
    >sata-data-cable
    >
    >2) do I need to install a RAID driver during XP Installation or can I simply
    >switch of SATA in the BIOS
    >
    >3) if I installed a RAID driver without using the RAID, does this mean
    >trouble in the future
    >
    >Hope someone can spare me some time and trouble building up my system
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Addy

    Andy, running a single SATA drive on the RAID controlers is no problem.

    1. The connector you use will depend on if you run the via or the promise
    controler (you have both) Decide which one you want to run and then make sure
    you have the drivers for it. (I recomend getting them from the manufactures
    website)

    2. Yes you will need to load the drivers during setup. Download the driver
    utility from tha manufacture, they typicaly will have a process of creating a
    driver floppy. Make the floppy and when setting up windows hit F6 when prompted
    to load RAID/SCSI drivers. Pop in the disk and load the drivers, should be a
    peice of cake.

    3. The install of the RAID drivers if you dont use them shoudlnt be a problem
    but since your planning on SATA drive as your system drive it will be required
    to do anyway.

    Hope this helps, if you have any problem post or email me.

    ~Arie

    See thread "Asus K8V Deluxe" on 9.5.2004 by john.

    "news.t-online.de" <addy1969@yahoo.de> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi,
    >
    > First time with SATA so I rather ask this question before building the
    > system.
    >
    > The manual only deals with sata raids, but I just want to install one hard
    > disk and install xp on it.
    >
    > I´ve read of lots of problems with mal-configuration, so I have these
    > questions:
    >
    > 1) to which sata connector on the board do I have to install the
    > sata-data-cable
    >
    > 2) do I need to install a RAID driver during XP Installation or can I
    simply
    > switch of SATA in the BIOS
    >
    > 3) if I installed a RAID driver without using the RAID, does this mean
    > trouble in the future
    >
    > Hope someone can spare me some time and trouble building up my system
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Addy

    Hi, i solved this problem as follow after many hours of stress...
    U have to make a diskette from the Asus Cd, this contains VIA drivers which
    u must load when installing XP.
    U must press F6 to load drivers from floppydisk.

    gr. John

    "news.t-online.de" <addy1969@yahoo.de> schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    >
    > First time with SATA so I rather ask this question before building the
    > system.
    >
    > The manual only deals with sata raids, but I just want to install one hard
    > disk and install xp on it.
    >
    > I´ve read of lots of problems with mal-configuration, so I have these
    > questions:
    >
    > 1) to which sata connector on the board do I have to install the
    > sata-data-cable
    >
    > 2) do I need to install a RAID driver during XP Installation or can I
    simply
    > switch of SATA in the BIOS
    >
    > 3) if I installed a RAID driver without using the RAID, does this mean
    > trouble in the future
    >
    > Hope someone can spare me some time and trouble building up my system
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Addy

Asus SATA NAS / RAID Motherboards