Crash to desktop

I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
thoughts on the possible causes.
Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon
XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. I was able to
play Half-Life for ten to fifteen minutes before a crash to desktop or
sudden re-boot. The crash can be described as a sudden freeze in action with
a rapid looping of the sound for one to two seconds before the screen goes
blank and goes back to the desktop. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1 motherboard
drivers, ATI video drivers
and reinstalled Steam without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in
preparation of installing Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it is
going to crash all of the time. Should I go to a PCI sound card instead of
the on-board sound?

-Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
-AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
-512 MB Kingston DDR333
-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
-Windows XP Professional SP2
-Enermax 350w power supply
-One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner
6 answers Last reply
More about crash desktop

    Andrew K wrote:
    > I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
    > thoughts on the possible causes.
    > Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon
    > XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
    > from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
    > desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. I was able to
    > play Half-Life for ten to fifteen minutes before a crash to desktop or
    > sudden re-boot. The crash can be described as a sudden freeze in action with
    > a rapid looping of the sound for one to two seconds before the screen goes
    > blank and goes back to the desktop. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1 motherboard
    > drivers, ATI video drivers
    > and reinstalled Steam without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in
    > preparation of installing Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it is
    > going to crash all of the time. Should I go to a PCI sound card instead of
    > the on-board sound?
    >
    > -Soyo Dragon SY-KT400 motherboard with VIA chipset, on-board sound/LAN
    > -AThlon 3000+ / 333 Barton
    > -512 MB Kingston DDR333
    > -ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
    > -Windows XP Professional SP2
    > -Enermax 350w power supply
    > -One unused PCI Leadtek TV tuner

    To be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with your computer. I
    have exactly the same problem, but the amount of crashing CS does is
    completely unpredictable. Sometimes a reset extends the length of
    playing time before something happens, but other times it will crash
    within 5 minutes of playtime, or more chronically. It's crazy.

    I almost guarantee this is due to your BIOS settings being AGP x8. Change it
    to 4x and you'll probably find everything is fine. Lots of ATI cards seem to
    have this problem, including my 9800 Pro.

    Steve

    I have an Award BIOS. Would this setting be under Advanced Chipset
    Features>AGP & P2P Bridge control or perhaps CPU, PCI Bus Control?
    I guess I'll have to do a little research since the BIOS and mobo manual are
    unclear. Thank you for the suggeston.

    "Steve" <luckylucky200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I almost guarantee this is due to your BIOS settings being AGP x8. Change
    >it to 4x and you'll probably find everything is fine. Lots of ATI cards
    >seem to have this problem, including my 9800 Pro.
    >
    > Steve

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Oh, and playing the game windowed, rather than full screen also seems to
    cause lots of crashes, so try that, too.

    S.

    "Steve" <luckylucky200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I almost guarantee this is due to your BIOS settings being AGP x8. Change
    >it to 4x and you'll probably find everything is fine. Lots of ATI cards
    >seem to have this problem, including my 9800 Pro.
    >
    > Steve

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Duh! Steam's website has some possible causes listed under troubleshooting.
    I never thought to look at the obvious.

    "Andrew K" <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I have seen other posts from persons with similar problems but never any
    > thoughts on the possible causes.
    > Counter-Strike was working just fine till I upgraded the CPU from an
    > Athlon
    > XP 2100+ to a 3000+.This included the newest BIOS upgrade, a change in FSB
    > from 266 to 333 and a different CPU multiplier. Now CS crashes to the
    > desktop with in a few seconds of starting a game every time. I was able to
    > play Half-Life for ten to fifteen minutes before a crash to desktop or
    > sudden re-boot. The crash can be described as a sudden freeze in action
    > with a rapid looping of the sound for one to two seconds before the screen
    > goes blank and goes back to the desktop. I replaced the SOYO 4 in 1
    > motherboard drivers, ATI video drivers
    > and reinstalled Steam without any effect. I had upgraded to the CPU in
    > preparation of installing Half-Life 2 but now I not so sure I can if it is
    > going to crash all of the time. Should I go to a PCI sound card instead of
    > the on-board sound?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    It was an on-board sound related problem.
    Thanks all.

    "Steve" <luckylucky200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I almost guarantee this is due to your BIOS settings being AGP x8. Change
    >it to 4x and you'll probably find everything is fine. Lots of ATI cards
    >seem to have this problem, including my 9800 Pro.
    >
    > Steve

Desktops Crash Video Games