Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2004 4:05:34 PM

I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When checking
the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Jan

More about : asus smartdoctor win prof sp1

May 21, 2004 4:05:35 PM

"Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
> I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
> system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
> Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
> version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
checking
> the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
> Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
>
> Jan

Is that SmartDoctor II or the old one?
Latest is SmartDoctor II.
May 21, 2004 4:05:35 PM

"Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
> I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
> system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
> Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
> version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
checking
> the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
> Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
>
> Jan

Does you card support it?
It can only be used on a few cards.
What card do you have?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2004 8:51:50 PM

"Nero" <nero@rome.it> schreef in bericht

> "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
> > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
> > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
> > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
> > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
> checking
> > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
> > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
> >
> > Jan
> >

> Does you card support it?
> It can only be used on a few cards.
> What card do you have?

Thanks for your reaction Nero. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT vivo. I don't
know about SD II and I did't find any downloadlinks on the Asus website
about vs. II (only version 4.x), but this version 4.00 is from december
2003. If you can give me a downloadlink, that would be nice. BTW, I now have
version 3.03 installed, but it seems that I can't control the fanspeed.
Maybe this is because I disabled Smartcooling in the Bios, because I 'm
using a Zalman CPU cooler, that only makes about 1400 RPM. Smartcooling
doesn't like that at all and when SC is enabled in the Bios, the PC won't
boot, because of "a faulty CPU cooler". If it turns out that I will not be
able to control the fanspeed with SD because of the above reason, is there
any other piece of software out there (maybe Speedfan?) that will do the
job?

Jan
May 21, 2004 8:51:51 PM

In article <40ae1785$0$41748$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>, "Jan van
der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote:

> "Nero" <nero@rome.it> schreef in bericht
> >
> > "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
> > > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
> > > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
> > > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
> > checking
> > > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
> > > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
> > >
> > > Jan
> > >

> > Does you card support it?
> > It can only be used on a few cards.
> > What card do you have?
> >
> Thanks for your reaction Nero. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT vivo. I don't
> know about SD II and I did't find any downloadlinks on the Asus website
> about vs. II (only version 4.x), but this version 4.00 is from december
> 2003. If you can give me a downloadlink, that would be nice. BTW, I now have
> version 3.03 installed, but it seems that I can't control the fanspeed.
> Maybe this is because I disabled Smartcooling in the Bios, because I 'm
> using a Zalman CPU cooler, that only makes about 1400 RPM. Smartcooling
> doesn't like that at all and when SC is enabled in the Bios, the PC won't
> boot, because of "a faulty CPU cooler". If it turns out that I will not be
> able to control the fanspeed with SD because of the above reason, is there
> any other piece of software out there (maybe Speedfan?) that will do the
> job?
>
> Jan

One way to find downloads for a video card, is to go through the
product page...

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/vgaindex.htm

click on the model number you are using...

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/r9600xt/overview.htm

then click the "download" button on the left...

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelNam...

At least that tells you, that the proper search term for the
download page, is "A9600" in this case. Years from now, when
the product page is gone, you can go to the main download page
and use A9600 for your search:

http://www.asus.it/support/download/download.aspx

In any case, there is a SmartDoctor version 4.31 available for
download. You'll find some other toys here also, but it is
better to go through the download page, as you get a description
of the tool:

ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/vga/nVidia/Utility/

What exactly is your objective, anyway ? The Zalman is quiet
whether it is running with the FanMate speed adjustment or
not. Exactly how slowly are you hoping to make that fan
run ?

Paul
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2004 9:35:43 PM

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schreef in bericht

> One way to find downloads for a video card, is to go through the
> product page...
>
> http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/vgaindex.htm
>
> click on the model number you are using...
>
> http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/r9600xt/overview.htm
>
> then click the "download" button on the left...
>
> http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelNam...
>
> At least that tells you, that the proper search term for the
> download page, is "A9600" in this case. Years from now, when
> the product page is gone, you can go to the main download page
> and use A9600 for your search:
>
> http://www.asus.it/support/download/download.aspx
>
> In any case, there is a SmartDoctor version 4.31 available for
> download. You'll find some other toys here also, but it is
> better to go through the download page, as you get a description
> of the tool:
>
> ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/vga/nVidia/Utility/
>
> What exactly is your objective, anyway ? The Zalman is quiet
> whether it is running with the FanMate speed adjustment or
> not. Exactly how slowly are you hoping to make that fan
> run ?
>
> Paul

THX Paul for the links, but my problem was not finding SD, but installing
it. Of course I don't want to control the Zalman CPU cooler, but the cooler
on the 9600 XT, which is spinning at a minimum of 6600 RPM. I thought maybe
upgrading SD from the installed version 3.03 to 4.xx could help solving
this, but the installation breaks off saying my Windows Installer is out of
date while it is n't.
May 23, 2004 1:32:41 AM

Jan,

MSI = Microsoft Installer - a swish platform independant way of packaging
software for distribution and installation. It is very good as it
automatically support clean deinstallation of software including registry
keys.

"version of the Windows Installer is older than required" indicates that the
latest version of InstMsiW.exe (this updates the version of MSI on your
system) needs to be run on your system. The package should have come with a
bunch of files like so:

SmartDoctor.msi --> file name may be different, but this contains the
actual software
InstMsiW.exe -- MS Installer
Setup.exe -- Setup "bootstrap" Program
setup.ini -- Tells setup program what to install.

If you are double clicking on the MSI file - the error will appear if the
version of the Installer system you have is out of date. If you run
Setup.exe, then setup will automatically detect this and run the instmsiw
file followed by the actual MSI install.

If you do not have an instmsiw.exe file, setup.exe, or setup.ini then you
have only part of the setup. Follow Paul's instructions and locate the most
recent and download it - hopefully that will be complete.

The error is actually quite Odd since XP SP1 will have the most recent
version for XP & the only update recently to the MSI system has been for
capabilities needed in 64 bit systems... they could be on the ball!

If you still have problems then post back...

- Tim

> "Nero" <nero@rome.it> schreef in bericht
>>
>> "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
>> > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on
>> > my
>> > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
>> > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and
>> > my
>> > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
>> checking
>> > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
>> > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
>> >
>> > Jan
>> >

>> Does you card support it?
>> It can only be used on a few cards.
>> What card do you have?
>>
> Thanks for your reaction Nero. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT vivo. I don't
> know about SD II and I did't find any downloadlinks on the Asus website
> about vs. II (only version 4.x), but this version 4.00 is from december
> 2003. If you can give me a downloadlink, that would be nice. BTW, I now
> have
> version 3.03 installed, but it seems that I can't control the fanspeed.
> Maybe this is because I disabled Smartcooling in the Bios, because I 'm
> using a Zalman CPU cooler, that only makes about 1400 RPM. Smartcooling
> doesn't like that at all and when SC is enabled in the Bios, the PC won't
> boot, because of "a faulty CPU cooler". If it turns out that I will not be
> able to control the fanspeed with SD because of the above reason, is there
> any other piece of software out there (maybe Speedfan?) that will do the
> job?
>
> Jan

Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2004 1:32:42 AM

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> schreef in bericht
> Jan,
>
> MSI = Microsoft Installer - a swish platform independant way of packaging
> software for distribution and installation. It is very good as it
> automatically support clean deinstallation of software including registry
> keys.
>
> "version of the Windows Installer is older than required" indicates that
the
> latest version of InstMsiW.exe (this updates the version of MSI on your
> system) needs to be run on your system. The package should have come with
> bunch of files like so:
>
> SmartDoctor.msi --> file name may be different, but this contains the
> actual software
> InstMsiW.exe -- MS Installer
> Setup.exe -- Setup "bootstrap" Program
> setup.ini -- Tells setup program what to install.
>
> If you are double clicking on the MSI file - the error will appear if the
> version of the Installer system you have is out of date. If you run
> Setup.exe, then setup will automatically detect this and run the instmsiw
> file followed by the actual MSI install.
>
> If you do not have an instmsiw.exe file, setup.exe, or setup.ini then you
> have only part of the setup. Follow Paul's instructions and locate the
most
> recent and download it - hopefully that will be complete.
>
> The error is actually quite Odd since XP SP1 will have the most recent
> version for XP & the only update recently to the MSI system has been for
> capabilities needed in 64 bit systems... they could be on the ball!
>
> If you still have problems then post back...
>
> - Tim

THX Tim, but I have all these files in the package and the wininstaller file
in this package is older than the one that came with XP Prof. SP1, namely
2.0.2600.1106 (That's the installed version on my system). I checked the MS
KB and my version is indeed the most actual one, as you indicated. When I
run setup.exe it keeps telling me that my installer is out of date while it
isn't. I extracted the downloaded Asus file to a temp directory, so while
running Setup from this dir all the files of the package are in that same
dir. What goes wrong? I dare say I'm a very experienced computer user for a
few decades now and I don't understand what goes wrong here. BTW, when you
look in the setup.ini file, Win XP is not mentioned as one of the operating
systems this package can be installed on. I am quite sure I downloaded the
right version for XP. I tried versions 4.00, 4.22 and 4.31, all with the
same results.

Jan