Asus SmartDoctor on Win XP Prof. SP1

I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When checking
the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Jan
7 answers Last reply
More about asus smartdoctor prof

    "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
    > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
    > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
    > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
    > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
    checking
    > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
    > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
    >
    > Jan

    Is that SmartDoctor II or the old one?
    Latest is SmartDoctor II.

    "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
    > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
    > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
    > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
    > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
    checking
    > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
    > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
    >
    > Jan

    Does you card support it?
    It can only be used on a few cards.
    What card do you have?

    "Nero" <nero@rome.it> schreef in bericht

    > "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
    > > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
    > > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
    > > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
    > checking
    > > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
    > > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
    > >
    > > Jan
    > >

    > Does you card support it?
    > It can only be used on a few cards.
    > What card do you have?

    Thanks for your reaction Nero. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT vivo. I don't
    know about SD II and I did't find any downloadlinks on the Asus website
    about vs. II (only version 4.x), but this version 4.00 is from december
    2003. If you can give me a downloadlink, that would be nice. BTW, I now have
    version 3.03 installed, but it seems that I can't control the fanspeed.
    Maybe this is because I disabled Smartcooling in the Bios, because I 'm
    using a Zalman CPU cooler, that only makes about 1400 RPM. Smartcooling
    doesn't like that at all and when SC is enabled in the Bios, the PC won't
    boot, because of "a faulty CPU cooler". If it turns out that I will not be
    able to control the fanspeed with SD because of the above reason, is there
    any other piece of software out there (maybe Speedfan?) that will do the
    job?

    Jan

    In article <40ae1785$0$41748$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>, "Jan van
    der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote:

    > "Nero" <nero@rome.it> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
    > > > I am trying to install Asus SmartDoctor vs. 4.00 (for Win 2000/XP) on my
    > > > system and I keep getting the message that my version of the Windows
    > > > Installer is older than required. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and my
    > > > version of msi.dll (2.0.2600.1106) is the most recent version. When
    > > checking
    > > > the setup.ini file of SmartDoctor Win XP is not mentioned as one of the
    > > > Operating systems. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
    > > >
    > > > Jan
    > > >

    > > Does you card support it?
    > > It can only be used on a few cards.
    > > What card do you have?
    > >
    > Thanks for your reaction Nero. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT vivo. I don't
    > know about SD II and I did't find any downloadlinks on the Asus website
    > about vs. II (only version 4.x), but this version 4.00 is from december
    > 2003. If you can give me a downloadlink, that would be nice. BTW, I now have
    > version 3.03 installed, but it seems that I can't control the fanspeed.
    > Maybe this is because I disabled Smartcooling in the Bios, because I 'm
    > using a Zalman CPU cooler, that only makes about 1400 RPM. Smartcooling
    > doesn't like that at all and when SC is enabled in the Bios, the PC won't
    > boot, because of "a faulty CPU cooler". If it turns out that I will not be
    > able to control the fanspeed with SD because of the above reason, is there
    > any other piece of software out there (maybe Speedfan?) that will do the
    > job?
    >
    > Jan

    One way to find downloads for a video card, is to go through the
    product page...

    http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/vgaindex.htm

    click on the model number you are using...

    http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/r9600xt/overview.htm

    then click the "download" button on the left...

    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A9600%20Series

    At least that tells you, that the proper search term for the
    download page, is "A9600" in this case. Years from now, when
    the product page is gone, you can go to the main download page
    and use A9600 for your search:

    http://www.asus.it/support/download/download.aspx

    In any case, there is a SmartDoctor version 4.31 available for
    download. You'll find some other toys here also, but it is
    better to go through the download page, as you get a description
    of the tool:

    ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/vga/nVidia/Utility/

    What exactly is your objective, anyway ? The Zalman is quiet
    whether it is running with the FanMate speed adjustment or
    not. Exactly how slowly are you hoping to make that fan
    run ?

    Paul

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schreef in bericht

    > One way to find downloads for a video card, is to go through the
    > product page...
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/vgaindex.htm
    >
    > click on the model number you are using...
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/r9600xt/overview.htm
    >
    > then click the "download" button on the left...
    >
    > http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A9600%20Series
    >
    > At least that tells you, that the proper search term for the
    > download page, is "A9600" in this case. Years from now, when
    > the product page is gone, you can go to the main download page
    > and use A9600 for your search:
    >
    > http://www.asus.it/support/download/download.aspx
    >
    > In any case, there is a SmartDoctor version 4.31 available for
    > download. You'll find some other toys here also, but it is
    > better to go through the download page, as you get a description
    > of the tool:
    >
    > ftp://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/vga/nVidia/Utility/
    >
    > What exactly is your objective, anyway ? The Zalman is quiet
    > whether it is running with the FanMate speed adjustment or
    > not. Exactly how slowly are you hoping to make that fan
    > run ?
    >
    > Paul

    THX Paul for the links, but my problem was not finding SD, but installing
    it. Of course I don't want to control the Zalman CPU cooler, but the cooler
    on the 9600 XT, which is spinning at a minimum of 6600 RPM. I thought maybe
    upgrading SD from the installed version 3.03 to 4.xx could help solving
    this, but the installation breaks off saying my Windows Installer is out of
    date while it is n't.

    Jan,

    MSI = Microsoft Installer - a swish platform independant way of packaging
    software for distribution and installation. It is very good as it
    automatically support clean deinstallation of software including registry
    keys.

    "version of the Windows Installer is older than required" indicates that the
    latest version of InstMsiW.exe (this updates the version of MSI on your
    system) needs to be run on your system. The package should have come with a
    bunch of files like so:

    SmartDoctor.msi --> file name may be different, but this contains the
    actual software
    InstMsiW.exe -- MS Installer
    Setup.exe -- Setup "bootstrap" Program
    setup.ini -- Tells setup program what to install.

    If you are double clicking on the MSI file - the error will appear if the
    version of the Installer system you have is out of date. If you run
    Setup.exe, then setup will automatically detect this and run the instmsiw
    file followed by the actual MSI install.

    If you do not have an instmsiw.exe file, setup.exe, or setup.ini then you
    have only part of the setup. Follow Paul's instructions and locate the most
    recent and download it - hopefully that will be complete.

    The error is actually quite Odd since XP SP1 will have the most recent
    version for XP & the only update recently to the MSI system has been for
    capabilities needed in 64 bit systems... they could be on the ball!

    If you still have problems then post back...

    - Tim

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> schreef in bericht
    > Jan,
    >
    > MSI = Microsoft Installer - a swish platform independant way of packaging
    > software for distribution and installation. It is very good as it
    > automatically support clean deinstallation of software including registry
    > keys.
    >
    > "version of the Windows Installer is older than required" indicates that
    the
    > latest version of InstMsiW.exe (this updates the version of MSI on your
    > system) needs to be run on your system. The package should have come with
    > bunch of files like so:
    >
    > SmartDoctor.msi --> file name may be different, but this contains the
    > actual software
    > InstMsiW.exe -- MS Installer
    > Setup.exe -- Setup "bootstrap" Program
    > setup.ini -- Tells setup program what to install.
    >
    > If you are double clicking on the MSI file - the error will appear if the
    > version of the Installer system you have is out of date. If you run
    > Setup.exe, then setup will automatically detect this and run the instmsiw
    > file followed by the actual MSI install.
    >
    > If you do not have an instmsiw.exe file, setup.exe, or setup.ini then you
    > have only part of the setup. Follow Paul's instructions and locate the
    most
    > recent and download it - hopefully that will be complete.
    >
    > The error is actually quite Odd since XP SP1 will have the most recent
    > version for XP & the only update recently to the MSI system has been for
    > capabilities needed in 64 bit systems... they could be on the ball!
    >
    > If you still have problems then post back...
    >
    > - Tim

    THX Tim, but I have all these files in the package and the wininstaller file
    in this package is older than the one that came with XP Prof. SP1, namely
    2.0.2600.1106 (That's the installed version on my system). I checked the MS
    KB and my version is indeed the most actual one, as you indicated. When I
    run setup.exe it keeps telling me that my installer is out of date while it
    isn't. I extracted the downloaded Asus file to a temp directory, so while
    running Setup from this dir all the files of the package are in that same
    dir. What goes wrong? I dare say I'm a very experienced computer user for a
    few decades now and I don't understand what goes wrong here. BTW, when you
    look in the setup.ini file, Win XP is not mentioned as one of the operating
    systems this package can be installed on. I am quite sure I downloaded the
    right version for XP. I tried versions 4.00, 4.22 and 4.31, all with the
    same results.

    Jan

    > "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nero" <nero@rome.it> schreef in bericht
    > >>
    > >> "Jan van der Staaij" <jstaaijNOSPAM@worldonline.nl> wrote in message
    > >> checking

    > >> Does you card support it?
    > >> It can only be used on a few cards.
    > >> What card do you have?
    > >>
    > > Thanks for your reaction Nero. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT vivo. I
    don't
    > > know about SD II and I did't find any downloadlinks on the Asus website
    > > about vs. II (only version 4.x), but this version 4.00 is from december
    > > 2003. If you can give me a downloadlink, that would be nice. BTW, I now
    > > have
    > > version 3.03 installed, but it seems that I can't control the fanspeed.
    > > Maybe this is because I disabled Smartcooling in the Bios, because I 'm
    > > using a Zalman CPU cooler, that only makes about 1400 RPM. Smartcooling
    > > doesn't like that at all and when SC is enabled in the Bios, the PC
    won't
    > > boot, because of "a faulty CPU cooler". If it turns out that I will not
    be
    > > able to control the fanspeed with SD because of the above reason, is
    there
    > > any other piece of software out there (maybe Speedfan?) that will do the
    > > job?
    > >
    > > Jan

Asus Windows XP Motherboards