XP does not recognize keyboard/mouse

I recently bought a new Dell inspiron 8600 laptop. When I try to connect a remote keyboard and mouse, I get message "windows does not recognize usb device". This seems to be something in XP as I have hooked them up to another computer running ME and they both worked fine. I also connected them to a desk top with XP and received the same message "windows does not recognize usb device". The mouse and the keyboard are both ps2, so am using an adapter to connect them to my lap top as the lap top doesn't have any ps2 ports. And yes I have installed all of microsoft updates. Have disk for the keyboard/mouse, supports XP but doesn't make any difference. When I move the mouse or type on the keyboard the RF sensor lights up but the lap top does nothing.
3 answers Last reply
More about recognize keyboard mouse

    What color is the adapter?

    The adapter connecting the mouse is green conected to usb port. The adapter for the keyboard is purple connected to the serial port. Can not connect both to the two usb ports because the adapters are to large.

    ----- anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: -----

    What color is the adapter?

> [...]

    Correction-- the keyboard serial connector is white.

    ----- anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: -----

    What color is the adapter?

Mice Keyboards Windows XP