XP does not recognize keyboard/mouse

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I recently bought a new Dell inspiron 8600 laptop. When I try to connect a remote keyboard and mouse, I get message "windows does not recognize usb device". This seems to be something in XP as I have hooked them up to another computer running ME and they both worked fine. I also connected them to a desk top with XP and received the same message "windows does not recognize usb device". The mouse and the keyboard are both ps2, so am using an adapter to connect them to my lap top as the lap top doesn't have any ps2 ports. And yes I have installed all of microsoft updates. Have disk for the keyboard/mouse, supports XP but doesn't make any difference. When I move the mouse or type on the keyboard the RF sensor lights up but the lap top does nothing.

What color is the adapter?

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

The adapter connecting the mouse is green conected to usb port. The adapter for the keyboard is purple connected to the serial port. Can not connect both to the two usb ports because the adapters are to large.

----- anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: -----

What color is the adapter?

> [...]

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Correction-- the keyboard serial connector is white.