AMD or Intel Still?

I have been long thinking of upgrading. Currently running ASUS CUV4X-E PIII
800 with 768mb of ram, but feel the time is coming to make a change. I have
been a long time fan of ASUS and Intel, but am looking closer at AMD's. A
lot because of price, but am also hearing a lot of good things. The board in
particular is the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. But I am still considering Intel's as
well. Am really unsure what to do. as I do not want to spend what it will
cost me to get what I want on the Intel side. Almost $600 versus a little
over $300 for AMD. Have heard some say Intel is good all around and that AMD
is only good for games. I play a lot of games, use CAD and graphics
programs, and also do some surfing, programming and other things. So can
some of you give me some insight. Would I be happy with AMD? What are the
downfalls of each? Just any good all around advice would be nice. Thanks in
advance.
16 answers Last reply
More about intel still

    I have 2 of the dlx boards, absolutely no complaints, both run solid
    as a rock. Lots of cheapie CPU alternatives also, like the Duron 1600
    or 1800 that will OC out of the box from 133 to 166 fsb. So my Duron
    1600 runs at 2000, not bad for a $43 CPU. Frankly, I can't tell much
    difference between the Duron at 2000 MHz and my XP cpu at 2160 MHz
    (which is actually a Duron 1600 with the cache mod, one of the older
    durons that could be easily mod'ed to enable all the onboard cache).
    I read very good things about the XP mobile chip being very easily
    overclocked, e.g., the XP 2500 mobile has run at 2500 MHz for many,
    and these are Barton core, 512k onboard cache CPUs.

    I like a bargain, both of my a7n8x-dlx mobos are refurb boards (cost
    about $60 from newegg) coupled with a cheap CPU (Duron 1600 or 1800)
    and for $100 or so you got a real bargain upgrade with very decent
    performance.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Mark G. wrote:
    > I have been long thinking of upgrading. Currently running ASUS CUV4X-E
    > PIII 800 with 768mb of ram, but feel the time is coming to make a change.
    > I have been a long time fan of ASUS and Intel, but am looking closer at
    > AMD's. A lot because of price, but am also hearing a lot of good things.
    > The board in particular is the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. But I am still
    > considering Intel's as well. Am really unsure what to do. as I do not
    > want to spend what it will cost me to get what I want on the Intel side.
    > Almost $600 versus a little over $300 for AMD. Have heard some say Intel
    > is good all around and that AMD is only good for games. I play a lot of
    > games, use CAD and graphics programs, and also do some surfing,
    > programming and other things. So can some of you give me some insight.
    > Would I be happy with AMD? What are the downfalls of each? Just any good
    > all around advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.

    Bang for buck, it's AMD. Has been for a while, certainly since the XPs came
    out.

    The only thing Intel can beat AMD on (in terms of price/performance) is
    something like Video Encoding.

    I think you will be happy with AMD on the A7N8X-E Deluxe.

    Intel motherboards tend to be more expensive, 'cos there isn't really any
    competition in the chipset market.

    Ben

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 11:35:24 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The only thing Intel can beat AMD on (in terms of price/performance) is
    >something like Video Encoding.

    .... and even there the gains are so small that it's not worth the
    price premium for the Intel ...

    In article <c6SdnfzlNIaOdjPdRVn-gw@comcast.com>, cadman_meg@comcast.net
    says...
    > I have been long thinking of upgrading. Currently running ASUS CUV4X-E PIII
    > 800 with 768mb of ram, but feel the time is coming to make a change. I have
    > been a long time fan of ASUS and Intel, but am looking closer at AMD's. A
    > lot because of price, but am also hearing a lot of good things. The board in
    > particular is the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. But I am still considering Intel's as
    > well. Am really unsure what to do. as I do not want to spend what it will
    > cost me to get what I want on the Intel side. Almost $600 versus a little
    > over $300 for AMD. Have heard some say Intel is good all around and that AMD
    > is only good for games. I play a lot of games, use CAD and graphics
    > programs, and also do some surfing, programming and other things. So can
    > some of you give me some insight. Would I be happy with AMD? What are the
    > downfalls of each? Just any good all around advice would be nice. Thanks in
    > advance.

    If you are doing CAD (AutoCAD) get a AUSU PC-DL Deluxe board with one or
    two XEON CPU's. Make suer that you have XP Professional in order to take
    full advantage of the Hyper-Threading feature on the CPU's.

    When it comes to Intel/AMD, I pick Intel for business systems "BECAUSE"
    I know I can trust the chipsets (not the CPU's) that are provided with
    them. When it comes to needing a cheap system, I get an AMD, but I don't
    use the VIA chipsets for AMD.

    The XEON, on XP, especially with Dual Xeon's, will scream on games and
    CAD. Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    single CPU system.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Mark G. wrote:

    > I have been long thinking of upgrading. Currently running ASUS CUV4X-E PIII
    > 800 with 768mb of ram, but feel the time is coming to make a change. I have
    > been a long time fan of ASUS and Intel, but am looking closer at AMD's. A
    > lot because of price, but am also hearing a lot of good things. The board in
    > particular is the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. But I am still considering Intel's as
    > well. Am really unsure what to do. as I do not want to spend what it will
    > cost me to get what I want on the Intel side. Almost $600 versus a little
    > over $300 for AMD. Have heard some say Intel is good all around and that AMD
    > is only good for games. I play a lot of games, use CAD and graphics
    > programs, and also do some surfing, programming and other things. So can
    > some of you give me some insight. Would I be happy with AMD? What are the
    > downfalls of each? Just any good all around advice would be nice. Thanks in
    > advance.

    Have you taken an Athlon 64 3000+ into consideration? It has the Cool
    'N Quiet technology and opens the door to the 64 Bit world (WinXP for
    64 Bit is available as a Beta...).
    Mainboard could be an Asus K8V.

    Roy

    XP_HM will do hyperthreading. It will not do any SMP.
    "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > In article <c6SdnfzlNIaOdjPdRVn-gw@comcast.com>, cadman_meg@comcast.net
    > says...
    > > I have been long thinking of upgrading. Currently running ASUS CUV4X-E
    PIII
    > > 800 with 768mb of ram, but feel the time is coming to make a change. I
    have
    > > been a long time fan of ASUS and Intel, but am looking closer at AMD's.
    > > lot because of price, but am also hearing a lot of good things. The
    board in
    > > particular is the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. But I am still considering
    Intel's as
    > > well. Am really unsure what to do. as I do not want to spend what it
    will
    > > cost me to get what I want on the Intel side. Almost $600 versus a
    little
    > > over $300 for AMD. Have heard some say Intel is good all around and that
    AMD
    > > is only good for games. I play a lot of games, use CAD and graphics
    > > programs, and also do some surfing, programming and other things. So can
    > > some of you give me some insight. Would I be happy with AMD? What are
    the
    > > downfalls of each? Just any good all around advice would be nice. Thanks
    in
    > > advance.
    >
    > If you are doing CAD (AutoCAD) get a AUSU PC-DL Deluxe board with one or
    > two XEON CPU's. Make suer that you have XP Professional in order to take
    > full advantage of the Hyper-Threading feature on the CPU's.
    >
    > When it comes to Intel/AMD, I pick Intel for business systems "BECAUSE"
    > I know I can trust the chipsets (not the CPU's) that are provided with
    > them. When it comes to needing a cheap system, I get an AMD, but I don't
    > use the VIA chipsets for AMD.
    >
    > The XEON, on XP, especially with Dual Xeon's, will scream on games and
    > CAD. Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    > single CPU system.

    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    > The XEON, on XP, especially with Dual Xeon's, will scream on games and
    > CAD. Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    > single CPU system.

    I was under the impression that very few games support multi
    processor...even the ones that do are more influenced more by gfx card than
    by how many cpus in the system.
    If you wanted a gaming machine best get a single cpu rig and spend the money
    saved on better gfx.

    Same goes to a large extent for CAD work...gfx is just as, if not more,
    important.

    If your budget is unlimited then fine, go dual.

    > --
    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    In article <c8pnkt$1us$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, big_badger@NOSPAM.com
    says...

    You need to fix your method of posting - inserting the two "--"
    characters means that nothing below them will be posted in a
    REPLY/Quote.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    In article <c8pnkt$1us$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, big_badger@NOSPAM.com
    says...
    > > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    > > The XEON, on XP, especially with Dual Xeon's, will scream on games and
    > > CAD. Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    > > single CPU system.
    >
    > I was under the impression that very few games support multi
    > processor...even the ones that do are more influenced more by gfx card
    > than by how many cpus in the system.
    > If you wanted a gaming machine best get a single cpu rig and spend
    > the money saved on better gfx.
    >
    > Same goes to a large extent for CAD work...gfx is just as, if not more,
    > important.
    >
    > If your budget is unlimited then fine, go dual.

    Dual CPU's do a lot for any application. Take and example of a single
    CPU system - the system does a lot of things in the background, not just
    a simple game or a single instance of some app, there's a ton of
    processing going on all the time when a PC is running.

    With a DUAP CPU system the single app is not hindered by the (in
    general) extra processing that goes on to support the rest of the
    system. There are no quirky pauses as the system time slices between the
    applications, etc...

    I play Counter-Strike on a Dual CPU system and notice the difference
    when playing on a single CPU system.

    CAD work is not just graphics, it's about computing angles and such and
    most of that takes place in the CPU on the motherboard, not in the CPU
    on the graphics card. Sure, sharing/rendering has a lot of Video
    performance issues, and benefits greatly from a fast video card, but
    I've seen more time spent on the CPU side than the video side.

    If you get a Dual you will benefit from it all the time, not just with a
    SMP aware application.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    > In article <c8pnkt$1us$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, big_badger@NOSPAM.com
    > says...
    > > > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    > > > The XEON, on XP, especially with Dual Xeon's, will scream on games and
    > > > CAD. Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    > > > single CPU system.
    > >
    > > I was under the impression that very few games support multi
    > > processor...even the ones that do are more influenced more by gfx card
    > > than by how many cpus in the system.
    > > If you wanted a gaming machine best get a single cpu rig and spend
    > > the money saved on better gfx.
    > >
    > > Same goes to a large extent for CAD work...gfx is just as, if not more,
    > > important.
    > >
    > > If your budget is unlimited then fine, go dual.
    >

    > Dual CPU's do a lot for any application. Take and example of a single
    > CPU system - the system does a lot of things in the background, not just
    > a simple game or a single instance of some app, there's a ton of
    > processing going on all the time when a PC is running.
    >
    > With a DUAP CPU system the single app is not hindered by the (in
    > general) extra processing that goes on to support the rest of the
    > system. There are no quirky pauses as the system time slices between the
    > applications, etc...
    >
    > I play Counter-Strike on a Dual CPU system and notice the difference
    > when playing on a single CPU system.
    >
    > CAD work is not just graphics, it's about computing angles and such and
    > most of that takes place in the CPU on the motherboard, not in the CPU
    > on the graphics card. Sure, sharing/rendering has a lot of Video
    > performance issues, and benefits greatly from a fast video card, but
    > I've seen more time spent on the CPU side than the video side.
    >
    > If you get a Dual you will benefit from it all the time, not just with a
    > SMP aware application.

    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    While Dual and Quad systems do no doubt have an advantage I still believe
    that for a buyer on a budget (even a pretty big one) there are other areas
    of the system that would yield greater benefit, in most apps, from having
    the cash spent on them. For instance with the cost saved by going single CPU
    you could easily go to a faster CPU, more memory AND go from a budget (say
    FX5200) to a top of the range (say FX5950) gfx card. No doubt there are some
    applications where the dual CPU system really shine but as for the argument
    about the CPU doing lots of background work..I'm monitoring it now and the
    load rarely goes over 4% on my single Athlon rig.

    Having said all of that if I had deep enough pockets I'd go dual too!

    In article <c8qca9$2hu$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, big_badger@NOSPAM.com
    says...
    > Having said all of that if I had deep enough pockets I'd go dual too!

    The nice thing is that ASUS makes the PC-DL board which is only about
    $240, and a 2.4g XEON is only about $240, it uses standard RAM and has
    the capacity for 6 drives without any needed cards.

    I've started using this as out standard middle tier workstation and with
    Dual 250GB SATA drives mirrored and 4GB of RAM, I use them as small web
    servers too.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Mark G. wrote:
    > I have been long thinking of upgrading. Currently running ASUS
    > CUV4X-E PIII 800 with 768mb of ram, but feel the time is coming to
    > make a change. I have been a long time fan of ASUS and Intel, but am
    > looking closer at AMD's. A lot because of price, but am also hearing
    > a lot of good things. The board in particular is the ASUS A7N8X-E
    > Deluxe. But I am still considering Intel's as well. Am really unsure
    > what to do. as I do not want to spend what it will cost me to get
    > what I want on the Intel side. Almost $600 versus a little over $300
    > for AMD. Have heard some say Intel is good all around and that AMD is
    > only good for games. I play a lot of games, use CAD and graphics
    > programs, and also do some surfing, programming and other things. So
    > can some of you give me some insight. Would I be happy with AMD?

    Yep.

    I tinker with both on a daily basis at work, and there's nothing between
    them these days.

    Except the average Intel setup costs more cash, and you can get a 64-bit AMD
    setup for Intel money. It's a no-brainer really :)

    > What
    > are the downfalls of each?

    Intel's only downfall is cost.
    The same applies to AMD, but without the cost.

    :)

    Leythos wrote:
    > When it comes to Intel/AMD, I pick Intel for business systems
    > "BECAUSE" I know I can trust the chipsets (not the CPU's) that are
    > provided with them.

    Intel's chipsets are no better than the Athlon's AMD/Via/nVidia/SiS
    equivalents.

    The days of AMD's dodgy budget-chipsets are long gone.

    > When it comes to needing a cheap system, I get an
    > AMD, but I don't use the VIA chipsets for AMD.

    Good job there's plenty of alternatives then :)

    > The XEON, on XP, especially with Dual Xeon's, will scream on games and
    > CAD.

    Except the equivalent Opteron setup, will be both faster AND cheaper !

    > Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    > single CPU system.

    Agreed.

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:37:10 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>

    >> Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    >> single CPU system.
    >
    >Agreed.

    I find having a KVM switch is the way to go. When I've got something
    busy on one computer, I tap scroll lock twice and I've got another
    whole machine to use.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <gqsbb053k9ql0b3kob85692jmvqh313gl6@4ax.com>, ugly@slow.com
    says...
    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:37:10 +0100, "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere>
    > wrote:
    >
    > !
    > >
    > >> Once you try a Dual CPU system you'll never want to go back to a
    > >> single CPU system.
    > >
    > >Agreed.
    > >

    > I find having a KVM switch is the way to go. When I've got something
    > busy on one computer, I tap scroll lock twice and I've got another
    > whole machine to use.

    I have 12 servers in my office and use a KVM for all of them, but I'm
    not about to switch between computers when a dual CPU system will be
    cheaper, provide better use of resources, and takes up less space in my
    office :)

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:16:16 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I have 12 servers in my office and use a KVM for all of them, but I'm
    >not about to switch between computers when a dual CPU system will be
    >cheaper, provide better use of resources, and takes up less space in my
    >office :)
    >
    >--

    And no KVM cables either ;p
    God how I hate all these wires!!!