P4C8-E Dlx -- SATA configured correctly?

I have just finished my first build -- which went pretty smooth, however I
have a niggly question (not to dumb I hope): Have I got the SATA driver
installed and running correctly, and, if so, how do I confirm I have? The
simple answer is I must have because the machine works :), but Sandra tells
me that the disk is running below its optimum and I can't see any SATA
related items in the Device Manager (which going on other posts here I
suspect I should?!); only Ultra ATA Storage Controllers are listed.

Key components from build:
P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel P4 3.0Ghz
Seagate ST3120026AS (SATA 120Gb) connected to SATA1
XP Pro + SP1A

The install of XP picked up the drive (so I did not press <F6>). I had
trouble running the CD supplied by Asus on XP but was able to download and
install the Chipset Util and BIOS upgrade from their website. I have not
installed any other drivers e.g. Promise. Currently I am only looking to
have one SATA driver (no RAID).

Any pointers as to how I confirm that the correct drivers are installed to
ensure that I am getting the most from the SATA drive would be appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

You need to use the F6 option

"Chris Hill" <SPAM_FREEChris_Hill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just finished my first build -- which went pretty smooth, however I
> have a niggly question (not to dumb I hope): Have I got the SATA driver
> installed and running correctly, and, if so, how do I confirm I have? The
> simple answer is I must have because the machine works :), but Sandra
tells
> me that the disk is running below its optimum and I can't see any SATA
> related items in the Device Manager (which going on other posts here I
> suspect I should?!); only Ultra ATA Storage Controllers are listed.
>
> Key components from build:
> P4C800-E Deluxe
> Intel P4 3.0Ghz
> Seagate ST3120026AS (SATA 120Gb) connected to SATA1
> XP Pro + SP1A
>
> The install of XP picked up the drive (so I did not press <F6>). I had
> trouble running the CD supplied by Asus on XP but was able to download and
> install the Chipset Util and BIOS upgrade from their website. I have not
> installed any other drivers e.g. Promise. Currently I am only looking to
> have one SATA driver (no RAID).
>
> Any pointers as to how I confirm that the correct drivers are installed to
> ensure that I am getting the most from the SATA drive would be
appreciated!

> Thanks
> Chris

Thanks ... does this mean that I'll have to reformat the drive and reinstall
XP etc.?

"anon" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message
> You need to use the F6 option
>
> "Chris Hill" <SPAM_FREEChris_Hill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have just finished my first build -- which went pretty smooth, however
> > have a niggly question (not to dumb I hope): Have I got the SATA driver
> > installed and running correctly, and, if so, how do I confirm I have?
The
> > simple answer is I must have because the machine works :), but Sandra
> tells
> > me that the disk is running below its optimum and I can't see any SATA
> > related items in the Device Manager (which going on other posts here I
> > suspect I should?!); only Ultra ATA Storage Controllers are listed.
> >
> > Key components from build:
> > P4C800-E Deluxe
> > Intel P4 3.0Ghz
> > Seagate ST3120026AS (SATA 120Gb) connected to SATA1
> > XP Pro + SP1A
> >
> > The install of XP picked up the drive (so I did not press <F6>). I had
> > trouble running the CD supplied by Asus on XP but was able to download
and
> > install the Chipset Util and BIOS upgrade from their website. I have
not
> > installed any other drivers e.g. Promise. Currently I am only looking
> > have one SATA driver (no RAID).
> >
> > Any pointers as to how I confirm that the correct drivers are installed
> > ensure that I am getting the most from the SATA drive would be
> appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris

I thought one only need to press F6 if using the Promise controller
with a RAID? The F6 allowed you to install the Promise RAID
drivers into XP. No???