CD Drive:is not accessable, Incorrect function error

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
Using Widows Explorer I get the above error with any CD in the drive. No
auto run either, and I've tried the Auto run repair fix without luck.
According to MSKB this is caused by Roxio EZ CD. That may well be but I
don't use EZ CD. I use Nero. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero
to no avail. I have run SFC, run Repair from booting with XP CD. Odd thing
is I can boot with my XP Pro CD and run anything from there, just not within
Windows. Same for my CDRW. Both are SCSI all terminated properly, all ID'ed
ok. What the heck is going on?
Thanks,
Brad

Brad wrote:
> Using Widows Explorer I get the above error with any CD in the drive.
> No auto run either, and I've tried the Auto run repair fix without
> luck. According to MSKB this is caused by Roxio EZ CD. That may well
> be but I don't use EZ CD. I use Nero. I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling Nero to no avail. I have run SFC, run Repair from
> booting with XP CD. Odd thing is I can boot with my XP Pro CD and run
> anything from there, just not within Windows. Same for my CDRW. Both
> are SCSI all terminated properly, all ID'ed ok. What the heck is
> going on?

This doesn't QUITE fit this, but it won't hurt anything if you do it, and if
it fixes it - well, you'll be happy then, huh? heh

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

--
<- Shenan ->
--

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, there was not a LowerFilters key, but I did remove the UpperFilters
key with no luck. Very strange.
Brad

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Brad wrote:
> > Using Widows Explorer I get the above error with any CD in the drive.
> > No auto run either, and I've tried the Auto run repair fix without
> > luck. According to MSKB this is caused by Roxio EZ CD. That may well
> > be but I don't use EZ CD. I use Nero. I have tried uninstalling and
> > reinstalling Nero to no avail. I have run SFC, run Repair from
> > booting with XP CD. Odd thing is I can boot with my XP Pro CD and run
> > anything from there, just not within Windows. Same for my CDRW. Both
> > are SCSI all terminated properly, all ID'ed ok. What the heck is
> > going on?
>
> This doesn't QUITE fit this, but it won't hurt anything if you do it, and
if
> it fixes it - well, you'll be happy then, huh? heh
>
> 1) Log on with Administrative Privileges
>
> 2) Open the Registry Editor:
> a) Go to Start then select Run.
> b) Type regedit and click OK.
>
> 3) Backup you registry by:
> a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
> b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
> Registry File.
> c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
> completely.
> d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
> Click on the SAVE button.
>
> 4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
> a) Go to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
> c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and
Lowerfilters.

> 5) Restart your computer.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

I am having the exact same problem. NERO is the trigger.
This is the second time this has happened. I reinstalled
windows XP last time. I did attempt to install a
different CD ROM, and received the same message.

It boots from a CD just fine. In Windows device
manager...it knows the device should be there, it claims
it installed the driver, it just doesnt see it.

Brad wrote:
> Hi,
> Using Widows Explorer I get the above error with any CD in the drive.
> No auto run either, and I've tried the Auto run repair fix without
> luck. According to MSKB this is caused by Roxio EZ CD. That may well
> be but I don't use EZ CD. I use Nero. I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling Nero to no avail. I have run SFC, run Repair from
> booting with XP CD. Odd thing is I can boot with my XP Pro CD and run
> anything from there, just not within Windows. Same for my CDRW. Both
> are SCSI all terminated properly, all ID'ed ok. What the heck is
> going on?
> Thanks,
> Brad

Check for Nero Burning Rights in Control Panel. It might be
responsible.