P4C800-E Deluxe CPU Upgrade

My current System:

P4C800-E Deluxe (1009 Bios)
2.6c O/C to 2.8 (Stock Fan)
Mushkin 3500 Lv1 at 217 fsb (2.3.2.6)
Antec 880 - 430 watt
Windows XP Pro
ATI 9800 Pro

I would like to upgrade to a 3.2e (Presscot).

My Bios would have to be upgraded to 1016.

Any there any problems I would run into, such as having to re-install
XP Pro, high internal case temps or anything else.

Any comments (Pro/Con) would be appreciated.

Paul

Splendid

In article <nnsua0tuuuei6eo61lnceul7no9knvrgi7@4ax.com>, JFH
<JFH@Home.net> wrote:

> My current System:
>
> P4C800-E Deluxe (1009 Bios)
> 2.6c O/C to 2.8 (Stock Fan)
> Mushkin 3500 Lv1 at 217 fsb (2.3.2.6)
> Antec 880 - 430 watt
> Windows XP Pro
> ATI 9800 Pro
>
> I would like to upgrade to a 3.2e (Presscot).
>
> My Bios would have to be upgraded to 1016.
>
> Any there any problems I would run into, such as having to re-install
> XP Pro, high internal case temps or anything else.
>
> Any comments (Pro/Con) would be appreciated.

Visit processorfinder.intel.com

Your current processor draws 69W.

A 3.2E Prescott 1MB L2 draws 103W. $290 Newegg
A 3.2EE P4 512KB L2, 2MB L3 draws 92W. $912 Newegg

On CPU bound integer code, either new processor will be 14% faster,
give or take.

Here are some meaningless benchmark numbers I extracted from
specbench.org on an 875 chipset. This benchmark seems to
benefit from cache.

http://www.specbench.org/cpu2000/results/cpu2000.html
Two columns are CINT2000_Base CINT2000_Peak

Freq ___P4-C___ ___P4-E___ __P4-EE___
2.40 1039 1071
2.60 1104 1138
2.80 1166 1204 1219 1269
3.00 1226 1265 1292 1345
3.20 1287 1330 1363 1421 1583 1620
3.40 1342 1393 1432 1491 1666 1705

If you go to cpudatabase.com , your current processor can do
3.5GHz on air, without using insane core voltages. Using the 5:4
setting for memory (set memory to "DDR333", but it will be running
at DDR437 after you overclock the FSB to 272.5MHz clock), you can
go to 2.6*1.25*1.09=3.54, so you have the reach with respect to the
rest of your system. (The 1.09 is 3500/3200 and the 1.25 is 5:4)

You have room to overclock your current processor, and see whether
a 14% faster CPU makes any practical difference or not. My personal
recommendation is to wait until a processor offers double the
performance of your current processor, before upgrading. Incremental
upgrades will be a letdown.

If you render or crunch continuously at 100% CPU for a living,
it will be a worthwhile upgrade. If gaming, you already have a
pretty awesome system.

It is your money :)

You might want to research the coolers mentioned in the comments
field of the cpudatabase page for the 2.6C, if you are having
trouble keeping the CPU core temp to a reasonable limit. The
Zalman 7000A series is a good solution, for example.

Have fun,
Paul

"JFH" <JFH@Home.net> skrev i meddelandet
> My current System:
>
> P4C800-E Deluxe (1009 Bios)
> 2.6c O/C to 2.8 (Stock Fan)
> Mushkin 3500 Lv1 at 217 fsb (2.3.2.6)
> Antec 880 - 430 watt
> Windows XP Pro
> ATI 9800 Pro
>
> I would like to upgrade to a 3.2e (Presscot).
>
> My Bios would have to be upgraded to 1016.
>
> Any there any problems I would run into, such as having to re-install
> XP Pro, high internal case temps or anything else.
>
> Any comments (Pro/Con) would be appreciated.

See the post from 2004-05-20 01:13 about P4 Prescott.
Prescott seems to be very hot. About 70 degrees Celcius.
Not good at all.

FairMan

I have P4C800-E Dlx, 3.0e and Win XP Pro, and it works just fine.

However, I read that HT is only supported/used by Win XP if it
detects it when it is installed. I had my Prescott in from the start,
and Win XP seems to be using it. So, I don't know personally
when adding HT later, if Win XP will detect and add support. You
might need to re-install Win XP after upgrading to the 3.2e if HT
support is important to you.

"FairMan" <fairman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "JFH" <JFH@Home.net> skrev i meddelandet
> > My current System:
> >
> > P4C800-E Deluxe (1009 Bios)
> > 2.6c O/C to 2.8 (Stock Fan)
> > Mushkin 3500 Lv1 at 217 fsb (2.3.2.6)
> > Antec 880 - 430 watt
> > Windows XP Pro
> > ATI 9800 Pro
> >
> > I would like to upgrade to a 3.2e (Presscot).
> >
> > My Bios would have to be upgraded to 1016.
> >
> > Any there any problems I would run into, such as having to re-install
> > XP Pro, high internal case temps or anything else.
> >
> > Any comments (Pro/Con) would be appreciated.
> >

> See the post from 2004-05-20 01:13 about P4 Prescott.
> Prescott seems to be very hot. About 70 degrees Celcius.
> Not good at all.
>
> FairMan

I am running a Prescott 2.8 in a non-aircon room in Thailand. I have a very
good case and air cooler, but there is still a lot of 50C+ air blowing out
the back of my case ( At CPU Idle). If you want a nice room heater buy the
Prescott.

regards
Freddie

TRENDING THREADS