which to buy?

Last response: in Video Games
February 18, 2005 9:15:06 AM

I used to play CS a few years back, but then I got a girlfriend and I
decided I had better things to do with my time.

Now that I've been married married to her for a couple years, it's time to
slack again, so would like to play again.

Which version of CS should I buy?

I would like to play the same old CS, but are there still servers for it, or
are they taken over by the new engine? I don't think my PC will run the new
CS.

Is CS: Condition Zero just CS with single-player mode? I'm not really
interested in playing half-life.

More about : buy

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:58:12 PM

CS Source is just great, if you really want to play CS again, than the best
think to have to do is to upgrade your PC, believe me, worth the money.

"Travis Finucane" <someone@microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> I used to play CS a few years back, but then I got a girlfriend and I
> decided I had better things to do with my time.
>
> Now that I've been married married to her for a couple years, it's time to
> slack again, so would like to play again.
>
> Which version of CS should I buy?
>
> I would like to play the same old CS, but are there still servers for it,
or
> are they taken over by the new engine? I don't think my PC will run the
new
> CS.
>
> Is CS: Condition Zero just CS with single-player mode? I'm not really
> interested in playing half-life.

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:54:32 PM

There are still -plenty- of CS servers.

I've seen the original Counterstrike at Target for under $10. You
probably won't find it in stores, but can prolly pick it up cheap on
Amazon (used) or ebay. Worth trying at that price.

With the original CS, you will need to install from the CD, then
download CS 1.6 and Steam. If you buy a "used" copy, be sure it's
unopened, as a copy can't be re-registered.
February 18, 2005 6:12:23 PM

"Travis Finucane" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I used to play CS a few years back, but then I got a girlfriend and I
> decided I had better things to do with my time.

~

Wut pc do you have, you may be surprised.

CS:Source > CS 1.6 now, for various reasons.....mainly there are less haxors
in CS:S right now. Plus it is better once you get used to it.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:46:33 PM

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> ~
>
> Wut pc do you have, you may be surprised.
>
> CS:Source > CS 1.6 now, for various reasons.....mainly there are less
haxors
> in CS:S right now. Plus it is better once you get used to it.

The machine I would most likely use is a laptop with a 1.1 GHz Pentium III,
and 1 G of RAM, running Windows XP. Its a decent laptop, but seems to be
just under the minimum processor speed. I looked up the video card support,
and it may slow even half-life CS to a crawl unless I disable "dynamic
lighting"--whatever that is.

My PC is a 1.2 PIII with half a G of RAM. It has a broken on board sound
device, and another shitty video card, so I think that might out.

To be honest, I don't care that much about haxors--unless it has gotten
ridiculously worse than 3 years ago when I played. Back then, it was mostly
people accusing good players of using aimbots. Occasionally there would be a
legitimate cheater (is that an oxymoron?), but they would just get kicked,
or you could just go to another server.

As long as there are still plenty of CS servers around, then I think I would
prefer that. What is CS: condition zero all about? It's just CS without
half-life?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:35:55 PM

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message
> Wut pc do you have, you may be surprised.
>
> CS:Source > CS 1.6 now, for various reasons.....mainly there are less
haxors
> in CS:S right now. Plus it is better once you get used to it.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html

According to this, there are roughly 2X the number of CS players as CS:S
players, and a tenth as many CZ.
Condition Zero is compatible with CS 1.6, though, right?
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:36:43 AM

"Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> There are still -plenty- of CS servers.
>
> I've seen the original Counterstrike at Target for under $10. You probably
> won't find it in stores, but can prolly pick it up cheap on Amazon (used) or
> ebay. Worth trying at that price.
>
> With the original CS, you will need to install from the CD, then download CS
> 1.6 and Steam. If you buy a "used" copy, be sure it's unopened, as a copy
> can't be re-registered.

Can't you just buy CS through Steam like you can HL2? I don't know for sure
because I own it so the browse games panel just has the play game option and not
a buy game one.

Also never buy games that need a CD key from ebay, the key will almost certainly
have been used and probably banned too.

If you do buy it on CD, don't bother installing it as everything will be
replaced by the 1.6 update. Just download steam and create an account with your
new CD key and download 1.6 fresh.
February 19, 2005 10:37:51 AM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:36:43 -0000, "I like toys and cake"
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Also never buy games that need a CD key from ebay, the key will almost certainly
>have been used and probably banned too.

Like any other Ebay lot you might buy, check the feedback of the
person you are buying from. I have bought and sold games with keys
without a problem.
February 25, 2005 3:21:12 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:37:51 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:36:43 -0000, "I like toys and cake"
><me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Also never buy games that need a CD key from ebay, the key will almost certainly
>>have been used and probably banned too.
>
>Like any other Ebay lot you might buy, check the feedback of the
>person you are buying from. I have bought and sold games with keys
>without a problem.

I'm selling Counter Strike CZ (cheap) if you wanna have it and I'm
located in Europe.
February 25, 2005 3:21:13 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:21:12 +0100, Roman Nemo Sturm
<roman.sturm@liwest.at> wrote:

>I'm selling Counter Strike CZ (cheap) if you wanna have it and I'm
>located in Europe.

Thanks, but I already have it and never asked for a copy. If I did
want it I would buy it via Ebay rather than from a complete stranger
over Usenet.
February 25, 2005 9:21:28 PM

<SNIPPED>

> Thanks, but I already have it and never asked for a copy. If I did
> want it I would buy it via Ebay rather than from a complete stranger
> over Usenet.

<SNIPPED>

Are there other kinds of strangers besides 'complete'?

strang·er n.
1.. One who is neither a friend nor an acquaintance.
2.. A foreigner, newcomer, or outsider.
3.. One who is unaccustomed to or unacquainted with something
specified; a novice: a stranger to our language; no stranger to hardship.
4.. A visitor or guest.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:21:29 PM

"Clark Kent" <superman@solitude.com> wrote in message
| "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
|
| <SNIPPED>
|
| > Thanks, but I already have it and never asked for a copy. If I did
| > want it I would buy it via Ebay rather than from a complete
stranger
| > over Usenet.
|
| <SNIPPED>
|
| Are there other kinds of strangers besides 'complete'?
|
| strang·er n.
| 1.. One who is neither a friend nor an acquaintance.
| 2.. A foreigner, newcomer, or outsider.
| 3.. One who is unaccustomed to or unacquainted with
something
| specified; a novice: a stranger to our language; no stranger to
hardship.
| 4.. A visitor or guest.

I think you answered the question in the affirmative, without a doubt.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:28:14 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:21:12 +0100, Roman Nemo Sturm
><roman.sturm@liwest.at> wrote:
>
>>I'm selling Counter Strike CZ (cheap) if you wanna have it and I'm
>>located in Europe.
>
>Thanks, but I already have it and never asked for a copy. If I did
>want it I would buy it via Ebay rather than from a complete stranger
>over Usenet.

I could have put it on ebay...
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:41:01 AM

"Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> There are still -plenty- of CS servers.
>
> I've seen the original Counterstrike at Target for under $10. You
> probably won't find it in stores, but can prolly pick it up cheap on
> Amazon (used) or ebay. Worth trying at that price.

Bought a new one from Amazon for about 20 bucks with a free coupon. Upgraded
to 1.6 with the steam client and was getting my ass kicked within the hour.

I can't believe how much better everybody seems to have gotten in the past
few years.
!