Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping Out

Hi, I'm Chuck and I'm having a problem with my wireless network card.
I'm using a Linksys 802.11G card in my desktop, and it's connecting to my
Belkin Wireless G router upstairs. I usually have Excellent, or Very Good
Signal Strength, but every now and then (Maybe 3 times an hour) the
connection will drop for 2 seconds completly, then it will be fine. It
interrupts my games, and any downloads that I might have going. Does anybody
know of a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Chuck

ChuxBuster@hotmail.com
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection dropping

    Are you using encryption? You might try to makes some configuration
    changes to the router side of your wireless network. I was
    experiencing the same things in my wireless network to the extent that
    even when I pinged one wireless client to another I was getting 25% to
    50% packet loss. So I went to the Linksys knownledge base which
    discribed a couple transmission parameters within the router to change
    which has given me a more stable connection. Last, is that I
    understand signal interference is a big thing. Phones, microwaves,
    etc. could cause your disconnects. So try a difference channel for your
    network.

    "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm Chuck and I'm having a problem with my wireless network card.
    > I'm using a Linksys 802.11G card in my desktop, and it's connecting to my
    > Belkin Wireless G router upstairs. I usually have Excellent, or Very Good
    > Signal Strength, but every now and then (Maybe 3 times an hour) the
    > connection will drop for 2 seconds completly, then it will be fine. It
    > interrupts my games, and any downloads that I might have going. Does
    > anybody
    > know of a way to fix this?

    Check Network Connections => Properties for your Linksys 11G card. Uncheck
    "AEGIS Protocol" if it is listed. Also, upgrade to SP2 if you are using
    WinXP.

    All explained here:

    http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp

    Carey

    "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm Chuck and I'm having a problem with my wireless network card.
    > I'm using a Linksys 802.11G card in my desktop, and it's connecting to my
    > Belkin Wireless G router upstairs. I usually have Excellent, or Very Good
    > Signal Strength, but every now and then (Maybe 3 times an hour) the
    > connection will drop for 2 seconds completly, then it will be fine. It
    > interrupts my games, and any downloads that I might have going. Does
    > anybody
    > know of a way to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck
    >
    > ChuxBuster@hotmail.com

    It's not changing connections though, it's just dropping out. It's still
    doing it.

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > All explained here:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm Chuck and I'm having a problem with my wireless network card.
    > > I'm using a Linksys 802.11G card in my desktop, and it's connecting to my
    > > Belkin Wireless G router upstairs. I usually have Excellent, or Very Good
    > > Signal Strength, but every now and then (Maybe 3 times an hour) the
    > > connection will drop for 2 seconds completly, then it will be fine. It
    > > interrupts my games, and any downloads that I might have going. Does
    > > anybody
    > > know of a way to fix this?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chuck
    > >
    > > ChuxBuster@hotmail.com

    Did you try the suggestion I offered?

    > It's not changing connections though, it's just dropping out. It's still
    > doing it.
    >

    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> All explained here:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I'm Chuck and I'm having a problem with my wireless network card.
    >> > I'm using a Linksys 802.11G card in my desktop, and it's connecting to
    >> > my
    >> > Belkin Wireless G router upstairs. I usually have Excellent, or Very
    >> > Good
    >> > Signal Strength, but every now and then (Maybe 3 times an hour) the
    >> > connection will drop for 2 seconds completly, then it will be fine. It
    >> > interrupts my games, and any downloads that I might have going. Does
    >> > anybody
    >> > know of a way to fix this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck
    >> >
    >> > ChuxBuster@hotmail.com

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    That URL talks about "Changing" connections, but mine is not changing, it's
    only dropping out for seconds at a time.

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > Did you try the suggestion I offered?
    >
    > "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It's not changing connections though, it's just dropping out. It's still
    > > doing it.
    > >

    > > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> All explained here:
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp
    > >>
    > >> Carey
    > >>
    > >> "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I'm not the OP but I DID try-it but when I stop WZC I lose the connection
    too!?

    "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > Did you try the suggestion I offered?
    >
    > "Chux" <Chux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It's not changing connections though, it's just dropping out. It's
    still
    > > doing it.
    > >

    > > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> All explained here: