HELP !! - installed Sis chipset agp driver, P4S533-E syste..

I tried to get one program working, so someone suggested that install
latest chipset drivers. I have P4S533-E motherboard with Sis chipset.
So I went to Sis site ( http://download.sis.com/ ), and could find
new drivers for my chipset. I downloaded Sis agp (gart) driver, ver
1.17, installed it, and restarted. Result: "Windows protection error."
System was jammed. I started windows in safe mode, uninstalled *#$
driver, restarted, but no luck, got protection error.
Something very bad has happened. I cant use cd-drive or internet in
safe mode. How can I get out of this mess? How can I repair my system?
I am using windows 98. How can I reinstall my motherboard drivers? I
have the cd, but I am not able to use cd-drive in safe mode. I would
need my computer urgently. What should I do? Please help. I dont want
to format my hard drive, build system from scratch.
1 answer Last reply
More about help installed chipset driver p4s533 syste

    "Johan Lindberg" <joha_lind@yahoo.se> wrote in message
    | I tried to get one program working, so someone suggested that
    install
    | latest chipset drivers. I have P4S533-E motherboard with Sis
    chipset.
    | So I went to Sis site ( http://download.sis.com/ ), and could find
    | new drivers for my chipset. I downloaded Sis agp (gart) driver, ver
    | 1.17, installed it, and restarted. Result: "Windows protection
    error."
    | System was jammed. I started windows in safe mode, uninstalled *#$
    | driver, restarted, but no luck, got protection error.
    | Something very bad has happened. I cant use cd-drive or internet
    in
    | safe mode. How can I get out of this mess? How can I repair my
    system?
    | I am using windows 98. How can I reinstall my motherboard drivers? I
    | have the cd, but I am not able to use cd-drive in safe mode. I would
    | need my computer urgently. What should I do? Please help. I dont
    want
    | to format my hard drive, build system from scratch.

    What video card are you using? I have a suggestion, boot in safe
    mode, and change your video adapter to the standard VGA adapter, then
    reboot normally and see if you still get the error. You have not been
    to specific about your exact error. You might also try hitting F8 as
    soon as windows starts to boot (or you can hold the ctl key down) to
    enable the boot menu, then select the "logging" or "bootlog" option,
    if the logged boot fails, you can reboot in safe mode or to a command
    prompt and look in c:\bootlog.txt file to see the last few lines and
    perhaps what driver/file failed to load. If you boot to a command
    prompt, typing "type c:\bootlog.txt | more" will allow you to view the
    entire bootlog file one page at a time.

    Another option is to boot to the command prompt and type "scanreg
    /restore" and restore a registry backup dated prior to the date you
    mucked up your system. You can type "scanreg /?" to see all the
    options available.

    If you have a win98 floppy boot disk (emergency rescue disk is what
    win98 calls it I believe), you can use that floppy to boot up with cd
    support and copy the mobo drivers on the cd to your HD (you will need
    to use DOS command line programs to do the copying).

    Worst case scenario is you reinstall win98 into the same directory it
    currently resides in, and all your programs and settings and files
    will not be lost, tho this would be the last option to take.

    YMMV, there are perhaps other approaches to take also.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

Asus Sis Chipsets Motherboards