Persistent problems with LaCie drive - any advice?

I have bought the newest gadget from LaCie - the Big Disk Extreme with 500GB external hard drive space. But I can not get my workstation running XP Professional to read it. I have an Adaptec FireWire card. At best the drive shows up in Device Manager but is not functional and does not get assigned a drive letter; at worst it hangs the system. I have contacted LaCie, who pointed blame at Adaptec or Microsoft, Adeptec, who pointed blame at LaCie or Microsoft, and have contacted Microsoft but have yet to hear anything from them, although I have little doubt that they will point the blame at LaCie or Adeptec. Is anybody else having these sorts of problems and/or possibly fixed them? Are there any diagnostic tools which can at least give me better information about what is going wrong? I'm at wit's end.
2 answers Last reply
More about persistent problems lacie drive advice

    This is a known problem with WXP and the default Firewire Drivers.

    See the 329256 Knowledge Base article for a description of why
    the problem occurs and info on the required update patch:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329256

    Best I can do for now. <tm>

    Bill

    cstr wrote:
    > I have bought the newest gadget from LaCie - the Big Disk Extreme
    > with 500GB external hard drive space. But I can not get my
    > workstation running XP Professional to read it. I have an Adaptec
    > FireWire card. At best the drive shows up in Device Manager but is
    > not functional and does not get assigned a drive letter; at worst it
    > hangs the system. I have contacted LaCie, who pointed blame at
    > Adaptec or Microsoft, Adeptec, who pointed blame at LaCie or
    > Microsoft, and have contacted Microsoft but have yet to hear anything
    > from them, although I have little doubt that they will point the
    > blame at LaCie or Adeptec. Is anybody else having these sorts of
    > problems and/or possibly fixed them? Are there any diagnostic tools
    > which can at least give me better information about what is going
    > wrong? I'm at wit's end.

    Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
    Click on DISK MANAGEMENT and in the lower right-hand
    window (gray shaded area), right-click on your second drive
    and select INITIALIZE DISK.

    If that does not work:

    Go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    In the Command Prompt window, type: DISKPART , hit enter.
    Then type: RESCAN , hit enter.
    Try initializing the disk again.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "cstr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    |I have bought the newest gadget from LaCie - the Big Disk Extreme with 500GB external hard drive space. But
    I can not get my workstation running XP Professional to read it. I have an Adaptec FireWire card. At best
    the drive shows up in Device Manager but is not functional and does not get assigned a drive letter; at worst
    it hangs the system. I have contacted LaCie, who pointed blame at Adaptec or Microsoft, Adeptec, who pointed
    blame at LaCie or Microsoft, and have contacted Microsoft but have yet to hear anything from them, although I
    have little doubt that they will point the blame at LaCie or Adeptec. Is anybody else having these sorts of
    problems and/or possibly fixed them? Are there any diagnostic tools which can at least give me better
    information about what is going wrong? I'm at wit's end.

Lacie Microsoft Windows XP