Firewire 1394b (800 Mbps) - where is the driver?

I just installed the Adaptec FireConnect 8300 PCI card. (This is Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Adaptor). The card has both 1394 a (400 mbps) and 1394 b (800 mbps) ports. I am interested in the faster speed. Adaptec does not supply drivers with the card and the Microsoft driver 5.1.2600.1106 seems to support only the slower 400 speed even when I connect to a device with the 1394b port. I got most of this info from the device manager.
Can I get a better driver? When is Microsoft going to come out with the 1394 b driver?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about firewire 1394b mbps driver

    As far as I am aware, Microsoft do not yet have a release-version
    of the Firewire800 (also known as IEE1394b) driver.

    Wrinkles and "gotchas":

    1. Until recently, there was only one Firewire Specification -- which
    was known as IEEE 1394. Recently, a faster second-generation
    form of firewire was ratified. This new specification did not get a
    new number.

    2. The original Firewire Specification is now called Firewire 400 (as
    its original maximum data-transfer-rate was 400Mb/s). The
    Technical Specification for Firewire 400 is now called IEEE 1394a.
    Any *old* information that reads 1394 is now assumed to be read
    as 1394a.

    3. The new Firewire Specification is now called Firewire 800 (as its
    new maximum data-transfer-rate is 800Mb/s). The Technical
    Specification for Firewire 800 is now called IEEE 1394b. From
    now on it is mandatory for a 1394-specification-document to state
    the "a" or "b" suffix to differentiate between the old and new chips
    and/or old and new drivers.

    Note: It is assumed that further Firewire developments will run in
    a similar vein. (Eg: Firewire 1200 will probably be known
    as IEEE 1394c.)

    4. Currently, the only release-version drivers that support IEEE 1394b
    of which I am aware are part of Apple OS 10.3 - also known as
    Panther.

    5. It is my understanding that Windows Firewire 800 support will be
    rolled out along with the WXP-SP2 release. For now, I recommend
    using the 1394b-rated chip at the 1394a datarate (the new chips are
    backwards-compatible with the old drivers at the old datarate).

    Once the final WXP-SP2 update is released, you will then be able
    to use your new card at its full datarate.

    Best I can do for now. <tm>

    Bill

    MalHenry wrote:
    > I just installed the Adaptec FireConnect 8300 PCI card. (This is
    > Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Adaptor). The card
    > has both 1394 a (400 mbps) and 1394 b (800 mbps) ports. I am
    > interested in the faster speed. Adaptec does not supply drivers with
    > the card and the Microsoft driver 5.1.2600.1106 seems to support only
    > the slower 400 speed even when I connect to a device with the 1394b
    > port. I got most of this info from the device manager. Can I get a
    > better driver? When is Microsoft going to come out with the 1394 b
    > driver?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Using IEEE 1394 (FireWire) Devices with Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310433&Product=winxp

    General Troubleshooting for IEEE 1394 Devices and Host Controllers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314873&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "MalHenry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    |I just installed the Adaptec FireConnect 8300 PCI card. (This is Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394
    Host Adaptor). The card has both 1394 a (400 mbps) and 1394 b (800 mbps) ports. I am interested in the
    faster speed. Adaptec does not supply drivers with the card and the Microsoft driver 5.1.2600.1106 seems to
    support only the slower 400 speed even when I connect to a device with the 1394b port. I got most of this
    info from the device manager.
    | Can I get a better driver? When is Microsoft going to come out with the 1394 b driver?
    |
    | Thanks.

    Try www.unibrain.com. I believe their ubCore 3.1 drivers
    should be general enough for your Adaptec card with TI
    chipset. Unibrain sells a Firewire800 PCI card, which I
    have and which works well with the ubCore drivers, but I
    believe the drivers should work with your adapter.

    The ubCore package is $30 from their website, but I think
    you can download them and try them (for 30 minutes at a
    time). If they work for you, you can pay the
    registration fee and activate the drivers fully.

    MalHenry wrote:
    > *I just installed the Adaptec FireConnect 8300 PCI card. (This is
    > Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Adaptor). The card
    > has both 1394 a (400 mbps) and 1394 b (800 mbps) ports. I am
    > interested in the faster speed. Adaptec does not supply dri
    > vers with the card and the Microsoft driver 5.1.2600.1106 seems to
    > support only the slower 400 speed even when I connect to a device
    > with the 1394b port. I got most of this info from the device
    > manager.
    > Can I get a better driver? When is Microsoft going to come out with
    > the 1394 b driver?
    >
    > Thanks. *

    Windows XP does not require a new driver to operate at 1394b speeds,
    trust me, I work at a company that makes USB and FireWire bridgeboards,
    I have done extensive testing with 1394b. The only thing you must do is
    make sure your chipset in whatever you are attaching is a 1394b
    chipset. Right now they are not very popular, we have not made many of
    them and they dont sell very well, probably because people do not
    realize what they are buying. When you connnect a 400Mbps port to an
    800Mbps port you will only run at 400Mbps, same goes for
    daisy-chaining, do not mix and match 400 and 800Mbps devices as they
    will operate at the slower speed. Most of the time you can tell if your
    device is 400 or 800 by the port. The new 9 pin, so called 'beta' ports
    are required for 1394b, if you only have the standard 6-pin the device
    most likely is not 1394b. The chipset may be 1394b however with a 6-pin
    port it will run at 400Mbps. Also, if they put a 400Mbps chipset and
    used a 9 pin this would be totally useless and not very cost effective,
    those connectors are expensive and short-handed. But back to my
    original point. You do not need a new driver, if you have a 1394b card
    and a true 1394b device, it will work.

    A note on the uni-brain drivers, they are making money off of people
    easily for their driver, it is not needed, they do include some nice
    little diagnostic tools, but mainly they are ripping people off. Like
    this morning I received an email telling me that XP SP2 will limit
    FireWire back to 100Mbps, this would be against the original spec and
    never happen, I could see them limiting to 400Mpbs but 100? Come on,
    what a bunch of bull-****

    -WhiteHawk82

    --
    whitehawk82

    whitehawk82 wrote:
    > *Windows XP does not require a new driver to operate at 1394b speeds,
    > trust me, I work at a company that makes USB and FireWire
    > bridgeboards, I have done extensive testing with 1394b. The only
    > thing you must do is make sure your chipset in whatever you are
    > attaching is a 1394b chipset. Right now they are not very popular, we
    > have not made many of them and they dont sell very well, probably
    > because people do not realize what they are buying. When you connnect
    > a 400Mbps port to an 800Mbps port you will only run at 400Mbps, same
    > goes for daisy-chaining, do not mix and match 400 and 800Mbps devices
    > as they will operate at the slower speed. Most of the time you can
    > tell if your device is 400 or 800 by the port. The new 9 pin, so
    > called 'beta' ports are required for 1394b, if you only have the
    > standard 6-pin the device most likely is not 1394b. The chipset may
    > be 1394b however with a 6-pin port it will run at 400Mbps. Also, if
    > they put a 400Mbps chipset and used a 9 pin this would be totally
    > useless and not very cost effective, those connectors are expensive
    > and short-handed. But back to my original point. You do not need a
    > new driver, if you have a 1394b card and a true 1394b device, it will
    > work.
    >
    > A note on the uni-brain drivers, they are making money off of people
    > easily for their driver, it is not needed, they do include some nice
    > little diagnostic tools, but mainly they are ripping people off. Like
    > this morning I received an email telling me that XP SP2 will limit
    > FireWire back to 100Mbps, this would be against the original spec and
    > never happen, I could see them limiting to 400Mpbs but 100? Come on,
    > what a bunch of bull-****
    >
    > -WhiteHawk82 *

    Note that the above email was from Uni-Brain I believe this to be a
    marketing scam.

    --
    whitehawk82

    whitehawk82 wrote:
    > *Note that the above email was from Uni-Brain I believe this to be a
    > marketing scam. *

    Wow, so much information flying at me in the same day, evidently with
    Microsoft Windows XP SP2, they will be "killing" 1394B, any 1394b
    products connected will operate at 100Mbps (slower than 1394A). WTF.
    They are doing this because they dont want FireWire cutting back into
    USB's market-space. Feel the control of Microsoft. Maybe they will feel
    the consumer control when everybody stays with XP SP1.

    --
    whitehawk82

Firewire Microsoft Windows XP