CD Burning Problem

May 10, 2004 1:16:06 AM

Whether I'm using iTunes, WMP, the built-in XP cd-writer, or any other burning application downloaded from the net, my result is always the same when i try to burn any type of cd (both data and audio): The writing process completes as normal... when it's done, the program says that the cd burning was successful. However, when I go to view the contents of the CD, nothing is there; the CD is blank with the full 700 MB capacity that it started with. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I was able to burn CDs just fine until it froze while burning at one point and i restarted the computer... ever since then, no luck. I tried uninstalling the hardware and reinstalling it, reinstalling XP professional, using four different brands of CD-R... but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : burning problem

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 3:56:50 AM

"therosser" <therosser@msn.com> wrote in message
> Whether I'm using iTunes, WMP, the built-in XP
cd-writer, or any other burning application
downloaded from the net, my result is always the
same when i try to burn any type of cd (both data
and audio): The writing process completes as
normal... when it's done, the program says that
the cd burning was successful. However, when I go
to view the contents of the CD, nothing is there;
the CD is blank with the full 700 MB capacity that
it started with. Anyone have any idea how to fix
this? I was able to burn CDs just fine until it
froze while burning at one point and i restarted
the computer... ever since then, no luck. I tried
uninstalling the hardware and reinstalling it,
reinstalling XP professional, using four different
brands of CD-R... but nothing seems to work. Any
help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried the burner in another computer?
Sound like it may be bad to me.

Jim M
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 9:31:01 AM

>Have you tried the burner in another computer?
>Sound like it may be bad to me.

Yeah, that was my only other thought... the problem is that I have a Sony Vaio laptop, and I have no idea how to get the CD drive out. After looking online for a couple hours, it seems that a number of other people have had the same problem, so I thought there may have been a common reason/solution for it.
May 10, 2004 10:01:04 AM

Could there be a problem with the image creation?
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 12:05:27 PM

> Could there be a problem with the image
creation?

I couldn't tell you. But it sounds like a problem
I had
with a NEC 1300A drive. Replaced the drive and the
problem went away. Hope someone else here can be
more help.

Jim M
May 10, 2004 2:19:23 PM

I swapped mine with the same problem to no avail.

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 5:31:02 PM

>>I swapped mine with the same problem to no avail.

Wait, did you try to put in a new cd drive, or did you try to put the cd drive in a different computer??
!