P4P800-E problem?

I have a P4P800-E board, 3.0 Intel P4, 1 gig of PC3200 (2 512K
sticks), and a 160 Gig Maxtor HD that I have hooked up to the Primary
IDE. After formating my HD with XP pro, two files won't load at 94%,
windw.chm and wind_h.chq. Then, all 100% done, the following message
pops up: Line 0 of Hivesys.inf is corrupted. setup cannot continue.

Now, I've tried two additional hard drives and two different cd
burners without success. I even updated the bios to the latest
version and have tried different BIOS settings. Each time I try to
load XP I get the identical problem above. I'm thinking there's a
problem with the motherboard or my memory sticks. However, I don't
have spares to check it out.

Does anyone have any ideas to try?

legend

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

ynott wrote:
> I have a P4P800-E board, 3.0 Intel P4, 1 gig of PC3200 (2 512K
> sticks), and a 160 Gig Maxtor HD that I have hooked up to the Primary
> IDE. After formating my HD with XP pro, two files won't load at 94%,
> windw.chm and wind_h.chq. Then, all 100% done, the following message
> pops up: Line 0 of Hivesys.inf is corrupted. setup cannot continue.
>
> Now, I've tried two additional hard drives and two different cd
> burners without success. I even updated the bios to the latest
> version and have tried different BIOS settings. Each time I try to
> load XP I get the identical problem above. I'm thinking there's a
> problem with the motherboard or my memory sticks. However, I don't
> have spares to check it out.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas to try?

if you have a pirated copy of XP this could be your HIV file problem

or bad memory...
I once could not install Win XP or Win ME on a new machine with a bad
memory because the file names changed from real to random names on
leaving the CD and hitting the hard drive

new memory solved the problem