DVDRW not reading DVDs

I have a MicroAdvantage DVD drive that has been
working fine for 6 months. A few days ago, it stopped
recognizing DVDs. A few facts:
-It still reads CDs
-Still shows up as a drive

Based on the number of similair posts, it looks this is a
XP "bug".

-reinstalled DVD software (Power DVD and InterVideo Win
DVD).
-uninstalled and reinstalled DVD driver (multiple times)
-installed Adptec's download
-Updated DVD Firmware
-Changed drives "transfer mode" to PIO
-reviewed 30 pages of MS newsgroup

So, what do I do from here?? I think next week I'll
rewire my CD/DVD drives such that the DVD is the master.
I'll take the CD off-line in an attempt to isolate the
problem.

Any other thoughts you may have will be appreciated!

I'll be sure to let you know how this tragic "man Vs
machine" epic ends :)

Rice

The laser that reads the CDs is not the same laser that reads DVDs. Have
you tried using a cleaning kit?

--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"Rice" <riceemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a MicroAdvantage DVD drive that has been
> working fine for 6 months. A few days ago, it stopped
> recognizing DVDs. A few facts:
> -It still reads CDs
> -Still shows up as a drive
>
> Based on the number of similair posts, it looks this is a
> XP "bug".

> -reinstalled DVD software (Power DVD and InterVideo Win
> DVD).
> -uninstalled and reinstalled DVD driver (multiple times)
> -installed Adptec's download
> -Updated DVD Firmware
> -Changed drives "transfer mode" to PIO
> -reviewed 30 pages of MS newsgroup
>
> So, what do I do from here?? I think next week I'll
> rewire my CD/DVD drives such that the DVD is the master.
> I'll take the CD off-line in an attempt to isolate the
> problem.
>
> Any other thoughts you may have will be appreciated!
>
> I'll be sure to let you know how this tragic "man Vs
> machine" epic ends :)
>
> Rice

Cari, I'll give cleaning a try. Thanks for the idea.