USB "Thumb" Drives

Is there a way to disable the "thumb"/"jump"/any other name usb drives on
XPPro without disabling the USB Ports entirely. We don't want people here
to be able to just walk up plug in download and go. But we may have need to
use other USB devices, such as mice or keyboards.
5 answers Last reply
More about thumb drives

    Not sure if it will work, but TweakUI (other programs can do
    this also) can hide drives. You could set the system to
    only show the installed drives, the thumb drives and card
    readers would not show when installed, so it would be hard
    to use them, but they would still be there and could still
    run a macro or virus.

    Don't know if this helps.

    chuqa wrote:

    > Is there a way to disable the "thumb"/"jump"/any other name usb drives on
    > XPPro without disabling the USB Ports entirely. We don't want people here
    > to be able to just walk up plug in download and go. But we may have need to
    > use other USB devices, such as mice or keyboards.

    Couple of thoughts. First, the logon to this computer should
    be assigned to the "User" group. Second, block access to all
    removable drives through group policies. It should work.

    Thumb/USB drives do not show up in XP, if they are not connected!

    Therefore, you may have to disable all the drives in TweakUI and only allow
    the one you want.

    > Not sure if it will work, but TweakUI (other programs can do
    > this also) can hide drives. You could set the system to
    > only show the installed drives, the thumb drives and card
    > readers would not show when installed, so it would be hard
    > to use them, but they would still be there and could still
    > run a macro or virus.
    >
    > Don't know if this helps.
    >

    > "chuqa" <chuqa~remove~@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Is there a way to disable the "thumb"/"jump"/any other
    > name usb drives on
    > | XPPro without disabling the USB Ports entirely. We don't
    > want people here
    > | to be able to just walk up plug in download and go. But we
    > may have need to
    > | use other USB devices, such as mice or keyboards.

    Isn't that what I said.

    | Thumb/USB drives do not show up in XP, if they are not
    connected!

    | Therefore, you may have to disable all the drives in
    TweakUI and only allow
    | the one you want.

    in message
    | > Not sure if it will work, but TweakUI (other programs
    can do
    | > this also) can hide drives. You could set the system to
    | > only show the installed drives, the thumb drives and
    card
    | > readers would not show when installed, so it would be
    hard
    | > to use them, but they would still be there and could
    still
    | > run a macro or virus.
    | >
    | > Don't know if this helps.
    | >

    | > "chuqa" <chuqa~remove~@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | Is there a way to disable the "thumb"/"jump"/any other
    | > name usb drives on
    | > | XPPro without disabling the USB Ports entirely. We
    don't
    | > want people here
    | > | to be able to just walk up plug in download and go.
    But we
    | > may have need to
    | > | use other USB devices, such as mice or keyboards.
    | > |
    | > |

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:17:51 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Not sure if it will work, but TweakUI (other programs can do
    >this also) can hide drives. You could set the system to
    >only show the installed drives, the thumb drives and card
    >readers would not show when installed, so it would be hard
    >to use them, but they would still be there and could still
    >run a macro or virus.
    >
    >Don't know if this helps.

    Nope, even with the drives unchecked in TweakUI, plugging in a USB thumb
    drive still creates a drive in explorer. Probably need to fiddle with a
    group policy to enforce the no drive idea.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Hardware USB Microsoft Windows XP