MS Pocket Street maps of London (U.K) not opening

June 10, 2004 12:54:58 AM

I have the IPAQ 1940 with PocketStreets from Streets &
Trips 2004. Downloaded some maps from MS the maps of
London (Central) and London (North) will not open in the
IPAQ. Actually hangs the program. A few other maps
opened fine.

Anyone else tried these maps with their PPC?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 1:13:52 AM

Sunny,
That one is a well known bug that Microsoft is working on. The only work
around is using AutoRoute or MapPoint 2004 to produce a larger map that does
not have London in the middle.

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer

"Sunny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the IPAQ 1940 with PocketStreets from Streets &
> Trips 2004. Downloaded some maps from MS the maps of
> London (Central) and London (North) will not open in the
> IPAQ. Actually hangs the program. A few other maps
> opened fine.
>
> Anyone else tried these maps with their PPC?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 11:52:26 AM

Tedd Riggs wrote:
> Sunny,
> That one is a well known bug that Microsoft is working on. The
> only work around is using AutoRoute or MapPoint 2004 to produce a
> larger map that does not have London in the middle.

Or ensure you do not include the meridian i.e. Greenwich or anything East of
Greenwich in the Central London Map.
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

Thanks for the replies. I only have Streets & Trips 2004.
That was why I DL'd the maps from MS instead of making my
own.
I guess I'd have to make do with other maps when we go on
our trip.

Sunny

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 10:46:43 PM

Sunny wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I only have Streets & Trips 2004.
> That was why I DL'd the maps from MS instead of making my
> own.
> I guess I'd have to make do with other maps when we go on
> our trip.

If you let me know what areas you require I can export them for you.
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:38:55 AM

Darren,

Any chance you could post maps that will work, or put them somewhere we
could download them; I'm sure there are many of us with this problem...
I'm keen to get maps of all areas of London andI don't mind how they're
split up.

Thanks, Peter

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
message news:o bfVpLxTEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Sunny wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies. I only have Streets & Trips 2004.
> > That was why I DL'd the maps from MS instead of making my
> > own.
> > I guess I'd have to make do with other maps when we go on
> > our trip.
>
> If you let me know what areas you require I can export them for you.
> --
> Darren Griffin
> Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:19:06 AM

Peter Rusling wrote:
> Any chance you could post maps that will work, or put them somewhere
> we could download them; I'm sure there are many of us with this
> problem... I'm keen to get maps of all areas of London andI don't
> mind how they're split up.

Ok, I've created two maps covering Central London West & East. That
encompasses all the central areas of note including all the tourist sights.

I've posted them at http://www.griffinnet.co.uk/downloads.htm . If there
are any issues or you need a specific outer area not covered by these let me
know but producing map tiles to cover the whole London area is rather more
complicated!
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
June 11, 2004 3:16:50 AM

Thanks for making the maps. However, both maps behave the
same way as the maps from MS :-( Hangs the program.

At first I thought it was the size of the file but I
exported a map of a US city that was 5MB and that opened
OK.

What is so "special" about London that it messes up Pocket
Streets?

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:21:48 AM

On a somewhat related note, do you have (or knwo where I
can find) PocketStreets maps for Iceland? We're heading
there at the end of the month...
Thanks

Sunny

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:46:28 AM

Sunny wrote:
> Thanks for making the maps. However, both maps behave the
> same way as the maps from MS :-( Hangs the program.
>
> At first I thought it was the size of the file but I
> exported a map of a US city that was 5MB and that opened
> OK.
>
> What is so "special" about London that it messes up Pocket
> Streets?

It's probbaly our new Congestion Charge clogging it all up ;)  I'll carry
out some experiments and see what's what.
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:01:37 AM

> Thanks for making the maps. However, both maps behave the
> same way as the maps from MS :-( Hangs the program.
>
> At first I thought it was the size of the file but I
> exported a map of a US city that was 5MB and that opened
> OK.
>
> What is so "special" about London that it messes up Pocket
> Streets?

I think this is a problem with the file on the web page.....remember seeing
other messages & it crashed my PPC.

You can get around it by exporting an Autoroute map to the PPC......if you
have Autoroute....

Julie
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:52:22 PM

Julie Meikle wrote:
> I think this is a problem with the file on the web page.....remember
> seeing other messages & it crashed my PPC.
>
> You can get around it by exporting an Autoroute map to the
> PPC......if you have Autoroute....
>
> Julie

Sadly not, I have exported two London files from MapPoint and they appear to
exhibit the same problem.

--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
June 16, 2004 3:03:55 AM

Any luck tracking down the offending section of London?
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:05:03 PM

It seems like no matter what size area I try to export from central london
the file ends up the same size and locks up the load.

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" wrote:

> Julie Meikle wrote:
> > I think this is a problem with the file on the web page.....remember
> > seeing other messages & it crashed my PPC.
> >
> > You can get around it by exporting an Autoroute map to the
> > PPC......if you have Autoroute....
> >
> > Julie
>
> Sadly not, I have exported two London files from MapPoint and they appear to
> exhibit the same problem.
>
> --
> Darren Griffin
> Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:33:25 PM

"cebess" <cebess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems like no matter what size area I try to export from central london
> the file ends up the same size and locks up the load.
>
> "Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" wrote:
>
> > Julie Meikle wrote:
> > > I think this is a problem with the file on the web page.....remember
> > > seeing other messages & it crashed my PPC.
> > >
> > > You can get around it by exporting an Autoroute map to the
> > > PPC......if you have Autoroute....
> > >
> > > Julie
> >
> > Sadly not, I have exported two London files from MapPoint and they
appear to
> > exhibit the same problem.
> >
> > --
> > Darren Griffin
> > Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> > The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums

Did you try one to the East of the Greenwich Meridian (0 degrees E/W), and
one West of it *NOT* straddling it?
There is a reasonably well publicised problem with maps that straddle the
meridian.
!