Burn Cds over a network

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've set up a network at home using wireless and so far I've managed to get
everything working. But I was wonderign If you can get Widnows to recognise a
shared CD Burner so I am able to burn Cd's from another computer. Is this
possible and how?

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003

BAD IDEA, typically it's really tough to burn across a network because of
the network transfer speed, even burning at a really low setting. Best thing
to do is copy the files to the computer and then burn them. You can only
start the burn from the PC with the burner anyway.

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've set up a network at home using wireless and so far I've managed to
get
> everything working. But I was wonderign If you can get Widnows to
recognise a
> shared CD Burner so I am able to burn Cd's from another computer. Is this
> possible and how?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Some programs do burn through the Network, but they automatiaclly cache the
info. to be burned on the computer that the Burner is On.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've set up a network at home using wireless and so far I've managed to
get
> everything working. But I was wonderign If you can get Widnows to
recognise a
> shared CD Burner so I am able to burn Cd's from another computer. Is this
> possible and how?

Well, the main problem is that even a 1x CD-R burns at 150kByte/s, which
would require a ~1.5Mbit/s sustained transfer speed. Assuming that the
maximum sustained transfer speed over 802.11b is 6 Mbit/s, then you could
burn no faster than 4x (higher with 802.11g). While burning, CD-Rs often
require a continuous data feed so any interruption in the wireless
connection could be disasterous. Thus, CD burning and wireless do not mix.

You could use XP's remote desktop connection (it may only be found in the
Professional version). That way, you could transfer your files to the
computer with the CD burner and then access that computer over the network
to burn the files.

-Yves