Removable IDE takes over boot duty from SATA

The mainboard is an P4P800 Deluxe, and normally it boots from a WD 36gb
SATA hdd. I have two other hard disks, both IDE, modern drives, one of
which is in a removable drive cage. Every time I change the IDE in or
out, it jumbles the boot disk order; when in, the IDE removable takes
over boot duty. In the bios I can reset so that the SATA is the first
boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is reintroduced to
the configuration. I have all of the IDE devices set to cable select;
and there is nothing on the SATA that I can adjust that I'm aware of.
The bios has been flashed recently, probably about an month ago.

What are your boot priorities in the bios, you should put SCSI as the first
device to boot from.

Dom

"wheel" <wheel@wheel.not> wrote in message
> The mainboard is an P4P800 Deluxe, and normally it boots from a WD 36gb
> SATA hdd. I have two other hard disks, both IDE, modern drives, one of
> which is in a removable drive cage. Every time I change the IDE in or
> out, it jumbles the boot disk order; when in, the IDE removable takes
> over boot duty. In the bios I can reset so that the SATA is the first
> boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is reintroduced to
> the configuration. I have all of the IDE devices set to cable select;
> and there is nothing on the SATA that I can adjust that I'm aware of.
> The bios has been flashed recently, probably about an month ago.

Hi and thanks for responding

Like I said in the original post "In the bios I can reset so that the
SATA is the first boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is
reintroduced to the configuration."

The entire issue is that the SATA disk gets demoted whenever a new IDE
disk is introduced.

In the bios screen, the very first page lists IDE master/slave for 4 IDE
sets. The sata is listed as Master IDE 3...however the first Master IDE
listed there is the IDE that does not take over boot duties, because I
don't take it out of the system. So, I have to conclude that this first
page of the bios info isn't all that relevant.

The boot page of the bios seems to be the controlling factor. But, the
SATA disk always falls off of the first boot position when the other IDE
is plugged back into the system.

In article <9qbsc.284$2V2.83@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>, dr.tester
[nospam]@ntlworldnospam.com says...
> What are your boot priorities in the bios, you should put SCSI as the first
> device to boot from.
>
> Dom
>

> "wheel" <wheel@wheel.not> wrote in message
> > The mainboard is an P4P800 Deluxe, and normally it boots from a WD 36gb
> > SATA hdd. I have two other hard disks, both IDE, modern drives, one of
> > which is in a removable drive cage. Every time I change the IDE in or
> > out, it jumbles the boot disk order; when in, the IDE removable takes
> > over boot duty. In the bios I can reset so that the SATA is the first
> > boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is reintroduced to
> > the configuration. I have all of the IDE devices set to cable select;
> > and there is nothing on the SATA that I can adjust that I'm aware of.
> > The bios has been flashed recently, probably about an month ago.

Paul

Splendid

In article <MPG.1b1ad81fe6dff9859896dd@netnews.comcast.net>, wheel
<wheel@wheel.not> wrote:

> Hi and thanks for responding
>
> Like I said in the original post "In the bios I can reset so that the
> SATA is the first boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is
> reintroduced to the configuration."
>
> The entire issue is that the SATA disk gets demoted whenever a new IDE
> disk is introduced.
>
> In the bios screen, the very first page lists IDE master/slave for 4 IDE
> sets. The sata is listed as Master IDE 3...however the first Master IDE
> listed there is the IDE that does not take over boot duties, because I
> don't take it out of the system. So, I have to conclude that this first
> page of the bios info isn't all that relevant.
>
> The boot page of the bios seems to be the controlling factor. But, the
> SATA disk always falls off of the first boot position when the other IDE
> is plugged back into the system.

Could this be related to [Compatible] versus [Enhanced] mode
for the "Onboard IDE Operate Mode" ? In Enhanced mode, all drives
are bridged off PCI (or the hardware makes it look that way),
whereas in Compatible mode, a SATA drive is made to appear as if
it is sitting on one of the PATA cables. Maybe the demotion
is due to the use of compatible mode or something ?

Just a guess,
Paul

> In article <9qbsc.284$2V2.83@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>, dr.tester
> [nospam]@ntlworldnospam.com says...
> > What are your boot priorities in the bios, you should put SCSI as the first
> > device to boot from.
> >
> > Dom
> >

> > "wheel" <wheel@wheel.not> wrote in message
> > > The mainboard is an P4P800 Deluxe, and normally it boots from a WD 36gb
> > > SATA hdd. I have two other hard disks, both IDE, modern drives, one of
> > > which is in a removable drive cage. Every time I change the IDE in or
> > > out, it jumbles the boot disk order; when in, the IDE removable takes
> > > over boot duty. In the bios I can reset so that the SATA is the first
> > > boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is reintroduced to
> > > the configuration. I have all of the IDE devices set to cable select;
> > > and there is nothing on the SATA that I can adjust that I'm aware of.
> > > The bios has been flashed recently, probably about an month ago.

Hi, thanks

It's in enhanced mode; the bios note about that is that I should be
using enhanced for winxp.

I guess this is a rare circumstance?

In article <nospam-2305042010200001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
says...

In article <MPG.1b1af8831f20d949896de@netnews.comcast.net>, wheel
<wheel@wheel.not> wrote:

> Hi, thanks
>
> It's in enhanced mode; the bios note about that is that I should be
> using enhanced for winxp.
>
> I guess this is a rare circumstance?

There is a history of problems of this type with the AMI
BIOS. Plenty of "my drive moved" in the boot order. So this
isn't out of the ordinary. Taking a look at the comments in
the download field for the BIOS files (the "More" button),
1015 is the last BIOS that had a fix for a boot issue.

I would have thought that in Enhanced mode, the SATA would be
in a different "group" than the IDE drives. In Compatible
mode, there would be more room for confusion between the two
types, because SATA are coerced to look like IDE devices.

You could take a look on Abxzone.com (I tried for an hour),
but there is too much stuff to slog through. The search engine
won't identify matching posts down to the post level, and instead
gives you matching threads. A 1000+ post thread takes a long
time to read.

Paul

> In article <nospam-2305042010200001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
> says...
> > In article <MPG.1b1ad81fe6dff9859896dd@netnews.comcast.net>, wheel
> > <wheel@wheel.not> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi and thanks for responding
> > >
> > > Like I said in the original post "In the bios I can reset so that the
> > > SATA is the first boot disk, but that gets lost the next time the IDE is
> > > reintroduced to the configuration."
> > >
> > > The entire issue is that the SATA disk gets demoted whenever a new IDE
> > > disk is introduced.
> > >
> > > In the bios screen, the very first page lists IDE master/slave for 4 IDE
> > > sets. The sata is listed as Master IDE 3...however the first Master IDE
> > > listed there is the IDE that does not take over boot duties, because I
> > > don't take it out of the system. So, I have to conclude that this first
> > > page of the bios info isn't all that relevant.
> > >
> > > The boot page of the bios seems to be the controlling factor. But, the
> > > SATA disk always falls off of the first boot position when the other IDE
> > > is plugged back into the system.
> >
> > Could this be related to [Compatible] versus [Enhanced] mode
> > for the "Onboard IDE Operate Mode" ? In Enhanced mode, all drives
> > are bridged off PCI (or the hardware makes it look that way),
> > whereas in Compatible mode, a SATA drive is made to appear as if
> > it is sitting on one of the PATA cables. Maybe the demotion
> > is due to the use of compatible mode or something ?
> >
> > Just a guess,
> > Paul
> >

> > > In article <9qbsc.284$2V2.83@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>, dr.tester
> > > [nospam]@ntlworldnospam.com says...

WD 36gb

Hmmm I am at 1016. Wonder why this is so hard for them to fix? SATA
isn't exactly new at this point. This throws a major kink into my plans.
As, I guess it not fixable at this point?

In article <nospam-2305042324450001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
says...
> In article <MPG.1b1af8831f20d949896de@netnews.comcast.net>, wheel
> <wheel@wheel.not> wrote:
>
> > Hi, thanks
> >
> > It's in enhanced mode; the bios note about that is that I should be
> > using enhanced for winxp.
> >
> > I guess this is a rare circumstance?
> >

> There is a history of problems of this type with the AMI
> BIOS. Plenty of "my drive moved" in the boot order. So this
> isn't out of the ordinary. Taking a look at the comments in
> the download field for the BIOS files (the "More" button),
> 1015 is the last BIOS that had a fix for a boot issue.
>
> I would have thought that in Enhanced mode, the SATA would be
> in a different "group" than the IDE drives. In Compatible
> mode, there would be more room for confusion between the two
> types, because SATA are coerced to look like IDE devices.
>
> You could take a look on Abxzone.com (I tried for an hour),
> but there is too much stuff to slog through. The search engine
> won't identify matching posts down to the post level, and instead
> gives you matching threads. A 1000+ post thread takes a long
> time to read.
>
> Paul
>

> > In article <nospam-2305042010200001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
> > says...

No, none of that helped. Well, I didn't remove the bootable aspect of
the removable drive but it wouldn't make any difference. I had this:

SATA Disk (listed as IDE 3 always on first page of bios)
IDE1: Master: Removable IDE (with OS) Secondary: CD-RW
IDE2: Master: Fixed IDE (no OS)

If I took out the removable IDE, I couldn't boot; the fixed IDE would
migrate to the top of the hdd boot order. If I reasserted the SATA as
the boot disk, but then inserted the removable IDE, the removable IDE
would migrate to the top of the boot order and the SATA would go to
position 3.

I rearranged many ways, but here is a sample:
SATA Disk
IDE1: Master: Fixed IDE (no OS)
IDE2: Master: Removable IDE (with OS) Secondary: CD-RW

Exactly the same issues would arise. Any IDE disk is automatically
granted priority over the SATA disk, even if it's not bootable.

What a shame. The reason I purchased an ASUS board for my new main
system was the incredible helpfulness of the people on this newsgroup.
However, not even excellent set of peers can overcome incompetent
programming by AMI and stupid business practices by ASUS (using AMI).
This will be the last ASUS mobo I buy, it's too bad I can't return it at
this point.

Does anyone know if this issue will repeat if a USB 2 external IDE disk
is added to the system? IE will it rearrange the boot disk order away
from the SATA disk?