Floppy Tape Drive

Does XP have a generic driver for Floppy Tape drives? I have a Seagate
CTT800i-f / r-f drive and I can't seem to get XP to even recognize it.
driverguide.com didn't seem to have anything either.

Len

A tape drive is not a floppy.

"Len Kamholz" <lenk@helmel.com> wrote in message
| Does XP have a generic driver for Floppy Tape drives? I
have a Seagate
| CTT800i-f / r-f drive and I can't seem to get XP to even
recognize it.
| driverguide.com didn't seem to have anything either.
|
| Len

"Len Kamholz" <lenk@helmel.com> wrote in message
> Does XP have a generic driver for Floppy Tape drives? I have a Seagate
> CTT800i-f / r-f drive and I can't seem to get XP to even recognize it.
> driverguide.com didn't seem to have anything either.
>
> Len

Windows XP was made to be PnP to simplify installation of modern devices.
Your tape drive is anything but modern and would most likely require a
non-PnP installation.

In the case of the older non-PnP device, it may take a special utility to
install a driver for the device. Or, in some cases, older devices were PnP
with an option for disabling PnP to make the device compatible with NT,
Linux or some other non-PnP O/S. If the tape drive is supposed to be PnP,
perhaps it's PnP capability was turned off for installation under NT. If
so, you may need to use the same utility to re-enable PnP.

XP does not support floppy devices other than the standard floppy drives.

"wayne wilhem" <wwilhelm@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Len Kamholz" <lenk@helmel.com> wrote in message
> > Does XP have a generic driver for Floppy Tape drives? I have a Seagate
> > CTT800i-f / r-f drive and I can't seem to get XP to even recognize it.
> > driverguide.com didn't seem to have anything either.
> >
> > Len
> >

> Windows XP was made to be PnP to simplify installation of modern devices.
> Your tape drive is anything but modern and would most likely require a
> non-PnP installation.
>
> In the case of the older non-PnP device, it may take a special utility to
> install a driver for the device. Or, in some cases, older devices were
PnP
> with an option for disabling PnP to make the device compatible with NT,
> Linux or some other non-PnP O/S. If the tape drive is supposed to be PnP,
> perhaps it's PnP capability was turned off for installation under NT. If
> so, you may need to use the same utility to re-enable PnP.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:38:40 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>A tape drive is not a floppy.

No, but that kind of old Travan TR-1 tape drive did attach to the floppy
drive cable and were mounted in drive bays. Anyhow, XP doesn't support
tape drives attached to the floppy controller.

Perhaps it's time for the OP to invest in a DVD writer of some kind.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:24:59 -0400, "Len Kamholz" <lenk@helmel.com>
wrote:

>Does XP have a generic driver for Floppy Tape drives? I have a Seagate
>CTT800i-f / r-f drive and I can't seem to get XP to even recognize it.
>driverguide.com didn't seem to have anything either.
>
>Len

Here's what you need to do: Pull out that museum piece of hardware
(the old Travan Floppy Tape Controller) and toss it into the trash
can. It can't, won't, and never will work under XP.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:27:20 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>Here's what you need to do: Pull out that museum piece of hardware
>(the old Travan Floppy Tape Controller) and toss it into the trash
>can. It can't, won't, and never will work under XP.

That sounds like a challenge. I wonder if Virtual PC might work with it.

--

On Tue, 11 May 2004 01:44:32 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:27:20 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:
>
>>Here's what you need to do: Pull out that museum piece of hardware
>>(the old Travan Floppy Tape Controller) and toss it into the trash
>>can. It can't, won't, and never will work under XP.
>
>That sounds like a challenge. I wonder if Virtual PC might work with it.

I doubt it.

Even if you do get it to work in Virtual PC, then it isn't working
under XP so I would still be correct.