XP cannot startup, even using recovery cd and/or setup disk

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Recently, my computer (emachine) start getting more and more blue
screen, mostly 007E or 008E error. Besides, most time, the first boot
up will hang on the vendor's logo. I have to re-power it before it can
boot to Windows XP.

As I am not sure if this is related to hardware or Windows. I've tried
to do a clear reinstall using your recovery cd. However, that recovery
cd seems do not work. It will hang in the middle of the ghost transfer
process (most time stopped at around 8%). Because it do not
successfully transfer the image over, my computer is now
non-operational.

I've tried to use an original Windows XP setup cd (from another
computer) and try to setup, but after it loaded all the drivers, it
will give out a blue screen, with either 007E, 008E, or ACPI.sys
error.

Anyone knows what happen here? and any advise on the fix?

Thanks,
Bosco

Bosco

--
Due to heavy spamming, I was forced to use an invalid reply address.
Do NOT reply to this posting via email directly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The two errors that you have originally received were probably due to bad
ram , but these errors are used for other system failure causes as well.
I do not understand what you mean by the "ghost transfer process" if your
were using a recovery cd to reinstall. You also cannot use another computers
XP disk to repair your Emachine. Use the Emachine recovery disk to reformat
and reinstall XP. If you receive the 007E or the 008E error during setup of
XP , I would install different system ram . Good luck . Jym

"YesBalala" <root@10.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Recently, my computer (emachine) start getting more and more blue
> screen, mostly 007E or 008E error. Besides, most time, the first boot
> up will hang on the vendor's logo. I have to re-power it before it can
> boot to Windows XP.
>
> As I am not sure if this is related to hardware or Windows. I've tried
> to do a clear reinstall using your recovery cd. However, that recovery
> cd seems do not work. It will hang in the middle of the ghost transfer
> process (most time stopped at around 8%). Because it do not
> successfully transfer the image over, my computer is now
> non-operational.
>
> I've tried to use an original Windows XP setup cd (from another
> computer) and try to setup, but after it loaded all the drivers, it
> will give out a blue screen, with either 007E, 008E, or ACPI.sys
> error.
>
> Anyone knows what happen here? and any advise on the fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Bosco
>
> Bosco
>
> --
> Due to heavy spamming, I was forced to use an invalid reply address.
> Do NOT reply to this posting via email directly.

Zion

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Go to your system manufachurer web-site to update your system bios.secondly,During set-up.when you are asked If you have third party driver press F2.Just press F5 or F7 and follow the set up instructions.

Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply and it didn't solve
my problem. In desperation I poked around my computer
until I stumbled on Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

Since your computer does not work at all, I suggest that you contact Support Centre using
someone else's computer or call them on the phone in USA 425-635-4494,
in Canada 905-635-3311.

If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

All the best, Adam

Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, I got one reply,
which in retrospect was a good solution, but my knowledge of computers is rather marginal,
so I did not understand how to implement this solution. In desperation I poked around my computer,
until I stumbled on Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
Since my knowledge of computers is very basic, it was important for me, that the
instructions were very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

All the best, Adam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Do you have any Error Reports in Event Viewer which you could post to this newsgroup?

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event ID: and Source Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports (Step 1). Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. In the window which appears is a button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your message ( email )and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer. It can be helpful to place a shortcut to Event Viewer on your Desktop.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"YesBalala" <root@10.0.0.1> wrote in message news:9t9v90tjvbubkan9o88n02sfjij6p9b32b@4ax.com...
> Recently, my computer (emachine) start getting more and more blue
> screen, mostly 007E or 008E error. Besides, most time, the first boot
> up will hang on the vendor's logo. I have to re-power it before it can
> boot to Windows XP.
>
> As I am not sure if this is related to hardware or Windows. I've tried
> to do a clear reinstall using your recovery cd. However, that recovery
> cd seems do not work. It will hang in the middle of the ghost transfer
> process (most time stopped at around 8%). Because it do not
> successfully transfer the image over, my computer is now
> non-operational.
>
> I've tried to use an original Windows XP setup cd (from another
> computer) and try to setup, but after it loaded all the drivers, it
> will give out a blue screen, with either 007E, 008E, or ACPI.sys
> error.
>
> Anyone knows what happen here? and any advise on the fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Bosco
>
> Bosco
>
> --
> Due to heavy spamming, I was forced to use an invalid reply address.
> Do NOT reply to this posting via email directly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I would not recommend you do this if you don’t know what your are
doing.
Get a windows 98se boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/
Insert the floppy into the computer.

ALL DATA WILL BE LOST!

Type fdisk
Delete all partitions on drive.
If you partition if formatted a Ntfs. You may need to choose delete
non-dos partition from the menu. Create partition use the whole drive.
Set this partition active
Follow all prompts
Reboot (keep floppy in drive)
Format c: /u /v:winxp
Remove floppy drive
Insert Restore Cd.
reboot restroe cd should work.
Should be back when you first got the computer.

Brian C.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Brian:
This advice is very bad. The poster has an e-Machine. All of the
Windows XP setup files reside on a hidden partition on the hard drive, which
is accessed via the e-Machine recovery CD.
If the poster follows your advice, that hidden partition goes
ye-bye -- he no longer has Windows XP install media.

Note that e-Machines is not the only major-brand computer manufacturers
who use this method -- most do.

steve

"Brian C" <noemail@noemailhere.com> wrote in message
> I would not recommend you do this if you don't know what your are
> doing.
> Get a windows 98se boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/
> Insert the floppy into the computer.
>
> ALL DATA WILL BE LOST!
>
> Type fdisk
> Delete all partitions on drive.
> If you partition if formatted a Ntfs. You may need to choose delete
> non-dos partition from the menu. Create partition use the whole drive.
> Set this partition active
> Follow all prompts
> Reboot (keep floppy in drive)
> Format c: /u /v:winxp
> Remove floppy drive
> Insert Restore Cd.
> reboot restroe cd should work.
> Should be back when you first got the computer.
>

> Brian C.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Just wondering ...how can I vie the error reports if I can't even
bootup my system? A and wrost yet, the recovery cd's crashed ghost
image has corrupted my hard disk completely.

Bosco

--
On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:59:26 +0100, "Gerry Cornell"
<gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Do you have any Error Reports in Event Viewer which you could post to this newsgroup?
>
>You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event ID: and Source Description are important.
>
>HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp
>
>A tip for posting copies of Error Reports (Step 1). Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. In the window which appears is a button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your message ( email )and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer. It can be helpful to place a shortcut to Event Viewer on your Desktop.

Bosco

--
Due to heavy spamming, I was forced to use an invalid reply address.
Do NOT reply to this posting via email directly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings --

If the PC is hanging during the BIOS's POST, before the OS even
starts to load, then the problem is obviously a hardware issue. THE
OS cannot very well affect the PC's POST.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"YesBalala" <root@10.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Recently, my computer (emachine) start getting more and more blue
> screen, mostly 007E or 008E error. Besides, most time, the first
> boot
> up will hang on the vendor's logo. I have to re-power it before it
> can
> boot to Windows XP.
>
> As I am not sure if this is related to hardware or Windows. I've
> tried
> to do a clear reinstall using your recovery cd. However, that
> recovery
> cd seems do not work. It will hang in the middle of the ghost
> transfer
> process (most time stopped at around 8%). Because it do not
> successfully transfer the image over, my computer is now
> non-operational.
>
> I've tried to use an original Windows XP setup cd (from another
> computer) and try to setup, but after it loaded all the drivers, it
> will give out a blue screen, with either 007E, 008E, or ACPI.sys
> error.
>
> Anyone knows what happen here? and any advise on the fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Bosco
>
> Bosco
>
> --
> Due to heavy spamming, I was forced to use an invalid reply address.
> Do NOT reply to this posting via email directly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can't. I interpreted your first paragraph as saying you could boot but not without more than one attempt.

Sorry I can't help with your problem. Good luck.

~~~~~~

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Mon, 10 May 2004 11:00:13 -0700, "Jym" <not @home> wrote:

>I do not understand what you mean by the "ghost transfer process" if your
>were using a recovery cd to reinstall.

When I run the recovery cd and select recovery, it will start up a
ghost application, then try to put the image back to hard disk. But it
stopped at somewhere between 8% to 50% (different everytime).

>You also cannot use another computers XP disk to repair your Emachine. Use the Emachine recovery disk to reformat
>and reinstall XP.

There is no format option on the recovery cd.

Bosco

Bosco

--
Due to heavy spamming, I was forced to use an invalid reply address.
Do NOT reply to this posting via email directly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On a recovery cd reformatting is not a option , it is done automatically ,
reinstalling the operating system will proceed immediately afterwards.
Disconnect all peripherals and usb components except mouse , keyboard and
monitor and try again. Good Luck . Jym