Windows XP Home Edition

I am currently building a new computer and have to install
windows XP on new computer to get it up and running. I
recently bought XP about 6 months ago and installed it on
my old computer. What I am asking is that am I breaking
any rules with Xp by installing it on my new computer, in
order to transfer data from my old computer to the new. I
plan on wipeing out the old computer completely and using
it for my kids with 2000. I heard that I can screw up my
version of XP if I use the same Key code to start up my
new computer.

to break it down: I have an existing computer that has XP
on it. I want to install XP on my new computer in order to
trasfer data from the old one. Can I have the same XP (Key
Code) for a few days without violating any rules of XP. I
plan on wiping out my old computer and installing 2000 for
my kids to use for school work.??????

Please let me know
2 answers Last reply
More about windows home edition

    Hi, Shaun.

    First, the official word:
    Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Then some suggestions...

    Yes, by having it installed - even briefly - on two computers is breaking
    the rules. Based on your description, though, I doubt that anyone, even
    Microsoft, would complain. And the system would not stop you automatically,
    for at least a couple of reasons: It has been more than 120 days since your
    prior activation, and you will complete your transfer before your 30-day
    window for activation on the new computer is up.

    If "data" is all that you are transferring, then you can completely avoid
    breaking the rules by first deleting the "boot folder" (usually C:\Windows)
    on the older computer before installing WinXP on the new one. Then just put
    your old HD in the new computer briefly to copy all the data from old to
    new. This won't avoid having to reinstall your applications; even having
    their files in place on the new HD is not enough, because that won't put the
    necessary entries into the new Registry.

    All this assumes, of course, that you are using Retail WinXP CD-ROMs. OEM
    versions are tied to the specific hardware with which they are sold.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Shaun" <lovpsugrad1@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently building a new computer and have to install
    > windows XP on new computer to get it up and running. I
    > recently bought XP about 6 months ago and installed it on
    > my old computer. What I am asking is that am I breaking
    > any rules with Xp by installing it on my new computer, in
    > order to transfer data from my old computer to the new. I
    > plan on wipeing out the old computer completely and using
    > it for my kids with 2000. I heard that I can screw up my
    > version of XP if I use the same Key code to start up my
    > new computer.
    >

    > to break it down: I have an existing computer that has XP
    > on it. I want to install XP on my new computer in order to
    > trasfer data from the old one. Can I have the same XP (Key
    > Code) for a few days without violating any rules of XP. I
    > plan on wiping out my old computer and installing 2000 for
    > my kids to use for school work.??????
    >
    > Please let me know

    If the XP Home version is NOT OEM, you can transfer it to any PC, as long as
    you remove it from the previous PC. If the version of XP is OEM, you can
    not, normally, remove it nor transfer it to another PC. As per the End-User
    License Agreement (EULA), OEM version are "forever" tied to the first, and
    only first, PC/motherboard that the software was installed onto. If the PC
    "dies", so does the software license.

    OEM versions of the software does not come is a nice folder. OEM comes only
    with a pamphlet, a CD and the CD key sticker.

    "Shaun" <lovpsugrad1@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I am currently building a new computer and have to install
    > windows XP on new computer to get it up and running. I
    > recently bought XP about 6 months ago and installed it on
    > my old computer. What I am asking is that am I breaking
    > any rules with Xp by installing it on my new computer, in
    > order to transfer data from my old computer to the new. I
    > plan on wipeing out the old computer completely and using
    > it for my kids with 2000. I heard that I can screw up my
    > version of XP if I use the same Key code to start up my
    > new computer.
    >

    > to break it down: I have an existing computer that has XP
    > on it. I want to install XP on my new computer in order to
    > trasfer data from the old one. Can I have the same XP (Key
    > Code) for a few days without violating any rules of XP. I
    > plan on wiping out my old computer and installing 2000 for
    > my kids to use for school work.??????
    >
    > Please let me know

Computers Windows XP