defrag only gets to 2% done, then restarts and never finis..

Hi

I am trying to defrag on ME, but defrag only ever
completes 2% of total request before returning to start
all over again, but still never progressing past the 2%
mark. I have left my computer switched on for over 24
hours and no change to this situation !!!

( not connected to net at this time)

Bit of a novice with computers afraid, so please....speak
slowly and clearly ;-)

Thanks Kev

Zion

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Check your drive space.Defrag utility needs a large disk space to difragment successfully.Run disk clean up to free space in your hard drive.And then try again.

kevin rowe wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to defrag on ME, but defrag only ever
> completes 2% of total request before returning to start
> all over again, but still never progressing past the 2%
> mark. I have left my computer switched on for over 24
> hours and no change to this situation !!!
>
> ( not connected to net at this time)
>
> Bit of a novice with computers afraid, so please....speak
> slowly and clearly ;-)
>
> Thanks Kev

W9x defrag restarts when some other app writes to the HD that is
currently being defragged. Pause/stop/kill any apps that you
suspect of writing to the HD, including AV and firewall and
MB/HD/network monitors, since those all write to log files.
Also, if your LAN has traffic, it may be necessary to kill the net.
If you don't know what your apps do, it may be simpler to reboot
into safe mode, and defrag from there.
--
Cheers, Bob

you may also want to disable your task scheduler if you haven't already
done so. that was always a biggie on my me machine.

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

"kevin rowe" <knba.rowe@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to defrag on ME, but defrag only ever
> completes 2% of total request before returning to start
> all over again, but still never progressing past the 2%
> mark. I have left my computer switched on for over 24
> hours and no change to this situation !!!
>
> ( not connected to net at this time)
>
> Bit of a novice with computers afraid, so please....speak
> slowly and clearly ;-)
>
> Thanks Kev

Try turning off your Antivirus Sotware and any programs loaded in the
background that sit on your taskbar ...
<CTRL>-<ALT> - <DEL> and end task on the stuff that is NOT needed...
This will HELP. and Disconnect from the internet too.. ;)