ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Question

Hi,

Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second pc
but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is and why there is
the need for a "Network Bridge"? What is a Network Bridge, come to think of
it?

Cheers in advance
11 answers Last reply
More about asus p4p800 deluxe question

    "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second
    pc
    > but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is

    LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to the
    internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.

    Alistair

    That's the IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus, otherwise known as the
    "firewire", gents. It's a very fast external bus standard that supports
    data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps (in 1394a) and 800Mbps (in 1394b).
    Like USB, 1394 supports both plug and play and hot plugging, and also
    provides power to peripheral devices.

    In article <07GdnXChpf-pwC_dRVn-sA@giganews.com>, "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote:

    > That's the IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus, otherwise known as the
    > "firewire", gents. It's a very fast external bus standard that supports
    > data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps (in 1394a) and 800Mbps (in 1394b).
    > Like USB, 1394 supports both plug and play and hot plugging, and also
    > provides power to peripheral devices.

    Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
    and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
    leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
    together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
    use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
    doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
    or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.

    Paul

    > "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my
    > second
    > > pc
    > > > but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is
    > >
    > > LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to the
    > > internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.
    > >
    > > Alistair

    Hi, I'm not sure but could it be the fire wire connection??
    "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second
    pc
    > but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is and why there is
    > the need for a "Network Bridge"? What is a Network Bridge, come to think
    of
    > it?
    >
    > Cheers in advance

    1394 is the Firewire connection.

    --
    DaveW

    "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second
    pc
    > but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is and why there is
    > the need for a "Network Bridge"? What is a Network Bridge, come to think
    of
    > it?
    >
    > Cheers in advance

    I see - thanks!

    > In article <07GdnXChpf-pwC_dRVn-sA@giganews.com>, "JTS" <5er@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    > > That's the IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus, otherwise known as the
    > > "firewire", gents. It's a very fast external bus standard that supports
    > > data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps (in 1394a) and 800Mbps (in 1394b).
    > > Like USB, 1394 supports both plug and play and hot plugging, and also
    > > provides power to peripheral devices.
    > >

    > Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
    > and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
    > leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
    > together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
    > use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
    > doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
    > or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
    >
    > Paul
    >

    > > "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message

    > > second
    > > > pc
    > > >
    > > > LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to
    the
    > > > internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.
    > > >
    > > > Alistair

    Have you done this

    I am temped to just joint 2 computers together with a normal 6wire
    firewire cable and see if the networking works..

    or must you use a special cable

    >>Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
    >>and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
    >>leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
    >>together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
    >>use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
    >>doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
    >>or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
    >>
    >> Paul

    Hi,

    It would be cheaper to get 2 PCI NIC's and a piece of 100mbit network cable
    with cross over than purchase the appropriate firewire cable. Just add 1
    switch or Hub and you are running a real network, or go for GB Ethernet.

    - Tim

    "Legend" <ISO-teric@ISOLated.com> wrote in message
    > Have you done this
    >
    > I am temped to just joint 2 computers together with a normal 6wire
    > firewire cable and see if the networking works..
    >
    > or must you use a special cable
    >
    >>>Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
    >>>and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
    >>>leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
    >>>together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
    >>>use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
    >>>doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
    >>>or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    I am not worried about expense here except the expense of burning up two
    perfectly good computers....I already have a gigabit network that works
    great

    and I already have all the variations of firewire cable I need

    I just need to know if a normal 6x6 or 6x4 firewire cable is used to
    when networking with firewire - incase I am ever forced into a corner
    and networking with firewire is the only solution

    on a 6x6 cable the extra 2 wires are for supplying power so I would
    think that you couldnt connect the 5 volts from one computer to the 5v
    rail of another computer directly without some smoke
    but maybe a normal 4x4 cable is all that is required

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:17:44 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,

    Never heard of that one. What exactly can you do ? Network the
    computers with Firewire ?

    The boy catches on quick!

    ;)

    <tony010409020622@spamthis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:17:44 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
    >
    > Never heard of that one. What exactly can you do ? Network the
    > computers with Firewire ?

Asus Connection Motherboards