  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 24, 2004 8:19:58 PM

Hi,

Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second pc
but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is and why there is
the need for a "Network Bridge"? What is a Network Bridge, come to think of
it?

Cheers in advance

More about : asus p4p800 deluxe question

May 24, 2004 9:26:15 PM

"xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second
pc
> but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is

LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to the
internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.

Alistair
May 24, 2004 9:26:16 PM

That's the IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus, otherwise known as the
"firewire", gents. It's a very fast external bus standard that supports
data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps (in 1394a) and 800Mbps (in 1394b).
Like USB, 1394 supports both plug and play and hot plugging, and also
provides power to peripheral devices.

"Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message

> "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my
second
> pc
> > but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is
>
> LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to the
> internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.
>
> Alistair

Related resources
May 24, 2004 9:26:17 PM

In article <07GdnXChpf-pwC_dRVn-sA@giganews.com>, "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote:

> That's the IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus, otherwise known as the
> "firewire", gents. It's a very fast external bus standard that supports
> data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps (in 1394a) and 800Mbps (in 1394b).
> Like USB, 1394 supports both plug and play and hot plugging, and also
> provides power to peripheral devices.

Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.

Paul

> "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my
> second
> > pc
> > > but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is
> >
> > LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to the
> > internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.
> >
> > Alistair

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2004 2:32:47 AM

Hi, I'm not sure but could it be the fire wire connection??
"xyz" <dont@spamme.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second
pc
> but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is and why there is
> the need for a "Network Bridge"? What is a Network Bridge, come to think
of
> it?
>
> Cheers in advance

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2004 3:15:53 AM

1394 is the Firewire connection.

--
DaveW

"xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just got my new board and set everything up and networked it to my second
pc
> but wondering what in heavens name "1394 connection" is and why there is
> the need for a "Network Bridge"? What is a Network Bridge, come to think
of
> it?
>
> Cheers in advance

May 26, 2004 5:21:01 AM

I see - thanks!

> In article <07GdnXChpf-pwC_dRVn-sA@giganews.com>, "JTS" <5er@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > That's the IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus, otherwise known as the
> > "firewire", gents. It's a very fast external bus standard that supports
> > data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps (in 1394a) and 800Mbps (in 1394b).
> > Like USB, 1394 supports both plug and play and hot plugging, and also
> > provides power to peripheral devices.
> >

> Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
> and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
> leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
> together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
> use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
> doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
> or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
>
> Paul
>

> > "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message

> > second
> > > pc
> > >
> > > LOL, me too. For about 2 hours I was trying to get it to connect me to
the
> > > internet, until I discovered it was not my LAN connection.
> > >
> > > Alistair

May 26, 2004 6:05:48 AM

Have you done this

I am temped to just joint 2 computers together with a normal 6wire
firewire cable and see if the networking works..

or must you use a special cable

>>Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
>>and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
>>leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
>>together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
>>use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
>>doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
>>or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
>>
>> Paul
May 27, 2004 3:13:38 AM

Hi,

It would be cheaper to get 2 PCI NIC's and a piece of 100mbit network cable
with cross over than purchase the appropriate firewire cable. Just add 1
switch or Hub and you are running a real network, or go for GB Ethernet.

- Tim

"Legend" <ISO-teric@ISOLated.com> wrote in message
> Have you done this
>
> I am temped to just joint 2 computers together with a normal 6wire
> firewire cable and see if the networking works..
>
> or must you use a special cable
>
>>>Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,
>>>and there is a network stack that operates when you do it. The OS
>>>leaves this stack in place, in case you connect the computers
>>>together. Like any interface on the computer, you don't have to
>>>use it. Just find the interface appropriate to what you are
>>>doing and use it. For the internet, you need a phone line modem,
>>>or Ethernet to connect to a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
>>>
>>> Paul
May 27, 2004 3:21:57 AM

I am not worried about expense here except the expense of burning up two
perfectly good computers....I already have a gigabit network that works
great

and I already have all the variations of firewire cable I need

I just need to know if a normal 6x6 or 6x4 firewire cable is used to
when networking with firewire - incase I am ever forced into a corner
and networking with firewire is the only solution

on a 6x6 cable the extra 2 wires are for supplying power so I would
think that you couldnt connect the 5 volts from one computer to the 5v
rail of another computer directly without some smoke
but maybe a normal 4x4 cable is all that is required

Tim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would be cheaper to get 2 PCI NIC's and a piece of 100mbit network cable
> with cross over than purchase the appropriate firewire cable. Just add 1
> switch or Hub and you are running a real network, or go for GB Ethernet.
>
> - Tim
>
> "Legend" <ISO-teric@ISOLated.com> wrote in message
>
>>Have you done this
>>
>>I am temped to just joint 2 computers together with a normal 6wire
>>firewire cable and see if the networking works..
>>
>>or must you use a special cable

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2004 11:31:07 AM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:17:44 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>Apparently, you can connect two computers together via Firewire,

Never heard of that one. What exactly can you do ? Network the
computers with Firewire ?
May 27, 2004 7:07:30 PM

The boy catches on quick!

;)