Lost space on hard drive

Bought a new Samsung 160GB hard drive and a new copy of
Windows XP Home.The BIOS agrees its a 160GB drive but
after formatting XP says its only 152GB! What has happened
to the other 8GB and can I get it back? Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about lost space hard drive

    Thanks. That tells me all I need.I can stop worrying now!
    Cheers.

    i love this line "For simplicity and consistency, hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000"

    then later they say everyone else defines em using base 8 at multiples of 8

    not the truth "For the purposes of making our drives capacity in Gb larger we use a base ten system. For future 'simplicity' we may decide to move to a base 5 number and at that time watch out for our new vastly larger drives with twice the previous capacity of our older drives."

Hard Drives Windows XP