cdrw and dvdrw/cdrw drive problem

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have one cdrw drive and a dvdrw/cdrw drive that windows all of a sudden is
having problems with. I can not get either to work and have uninstalled and
reinstalled the hardware drivers. It finds the hardware, but says it has a
problem installing it. States that either my registry is corrupt or there
is incomplete information to install.

If anyone can give me some suggestions as what to do without having to
reinstall windows again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
3 answers Last reply
More about cdrw dvdrw cdrw drive problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Kelly, try a System File Check. Start>Run type: sfc /scannow
    have the xp cd in the cdrom drive.
    Also, try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>hardware>Device
    manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. rt click on Secondary IDE and choose
    Uninstall. That should be the one that you have your
    cd drives hooked up to. Restart and let XP reinstall it.

    "kelly" <kelly@TNLyons.comREMOVE> wrote in message
    > I have one cdrw drive and a dvdrw/cdrw drive that windows all of a sudden
    is
    > having problems with. I can not get either to work and have uninstalled
    and
    > reinstalled the hardware drivers. It finds the hardware, but says it has
    > problem installing it. States that either my registry is corrupt or there
    > is incomplete information to install.
    >
    > If anyone can give me some suggestions as what to do without having to
    > reinstall windows again I would greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kelly

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The second suggestion didn't solve the problem and the first suggestion
    won't work because my CDrom isn't working. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Kelly

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Kelly, try a System File Check. Start>Run type: sfc /scannow
    > have the xp cd in the cdrom drive.
    > Also, try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>hardware>Device
    > manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. rt click on Secondary IDE and choose
    > Uninstall. That should be the one that you have your
    > cd drives hooked up to. Restart and let XP reinstall it.
    >

    > "kelly" <kelly@TNLyons.comREMOVE> wrote in message
    > > I have one cdrw drive and a dvdrw/cdrw drive that windows all of a
    sudden
    > is
    > > having problems with. I can not get either to work and have uninstalled
    > and
    > > reinstalled the hardware drivers. It finds the hardware, but says it
    has
    > > problem installing it. States that either my registry is corrupt or
    there
    > > is incomplete information to install.
    > >
    > > If anyone can give me some suggestions as what to do without having to
    > > reinstall windows again I would greatly appreciate it.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Kelly

    re-install

Hardware DVD RW Microsoft Windows XP