cdrw and dvdrw/cdrw drive problem

May 10, 2004 6:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have one cdrw drive and a dvdrw/cdrw drive that windows all of a sudden is
having problems with. I can not get either to work and have uninstalled and
reinstalled the hardware drivers. It finds the hardware, but says it has a
problem installing it. States that either my registry is corrupt or there
is incomplete information to install.

If anyone can give me some suggestions as what to do without having to
reinstall windows again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 6:16:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Kelly, try a System File Check. Start>Run type: sfc /scannow
have the xp cd in the cdrom drive.
Also, try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>hardware>Device
manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. rt click on Secondary IDE and choose
Uninstall. That should be the one that you have your
cd drives hooked up to. Restart and let XP reinstall it.

"kelly" <kelly@TNLyons.comREMOVE> wrote in message
> I have one cdrw drive and a dvdrw/cdrw drive that windows all of a sudden
is
> having problems with. I can not get either to work and have uninstalled
and
> reinstalled the hardware drivers. It finds the hardware, but says it has
> problem installing it. States that either my registry is corrupt or there
> is incomplete information to install.
>
> If anyone can give me some suggestions as what to do without having to
> reinstall windows again I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kelly

May 10, 2004 8:37:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The second suggestion didn't solve the problem and the first suggestion
won't work because my CDrom isn't working. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Kelly

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Kelly, try a System File Check. Start>Run type: sfc /scannow
> have the xp cd in the cdrom drive.
> Also, try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>hardware>Device
> manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. rt click on Secondary IDE and choose
> Uninstall. That should be the one that you have your
> cd drives hooked up to. Restart and let XP reinstall it.
>

> "kelly" <kelly@TNLyons.comREMOVE> wrote in message
> > I have one cdrw drive and a dvdrw/cdrw drive that windows all of a
sudden
> is
> > having problems with. I can not get either to work and have uninstalled
> and
> > reinstalled the hardware drivers. It finds the hardware, but says it
has
> > problem installing it. States that either my registry is corrupt or
there
> > is incomplete information to install.
> >
> > If anyone can give me some suggestions as what to do without having to
> > reinstall windows again I would greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kelly

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 9:06:03 PM