Linux Dedicated Server: Looking for a tool that can contro..

.... and another question:
As already stated in the subject line: I am looking for a possibility to
connect to the dedicated server on he same machine. Is that possible at all
under Linux?

TIA,

Frank

--
The above email address does either not exist or is not accessible for me.
In case you need to contact me, use:

    * Frank Neurath wrote:
    > ... and another question:
    > As already stated in the subject line: I am looking for a possibility to
    > connect to the dedicated server on he same machine. Is that possible at all
    > under Linux?

    Connect to the ded server on what same machine? There are a lot of
    things possible under linux, but you have to be more specific.

    If you mean can you use an rcon type tool on the same machine as where
    the game is hosted, yes you can.

    How you do so depends on what type of tool you require. If it is just
    start up or shutdown of server, or kicking players, or initiating votes
    etc. Not sure why you would do that though, because the linux console
    would be right there...

    You might need to be a bit more specific about your setup.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    <posted & mailed>

    Troy Piggins wrote:

    > * Frank Neurath wrote:
    >> ... and another question:
    >> As already stated in the subject line: I am looking for a possibility to
    >> connect to the dedicated server on he same machine. Is that possible at
    >> all under Linux?
    >
    > Connect to the ded server on what same machine? There are a lot of
    > things possible under linux, but you have to be more specific.
    >
    > If you mean can you use an rcon type tool on the same machine as where
    > the game is hosted, yes you can.
    >
    > How you do so depends on what type of tool you require. If it is just
    > start up or shutdown of server, or kicking players, or initiating votes
    > etc. Not sure why you would do that though, because the linux console
    > would be right there...
    >
    > You might need to be a bit more specific about your setup.

    Sorry for being a little unspecific.

    I am running a dedicated server on my linux notebook and would like to host
    the games for a upcoming LAN-Party on this machine. To control the servers
    behavior like mapchanges, roundtimes, friendly fire and other variables I
    am looking for a graphical interface that runs on the same machine, so I
    don't need to start another application on a client, i.e. my windoze
    computer with CS:S running.

    So I think you guessed right, when you assumed the "rcon type tool".
    Pointing me to some URLs or just give me some good phrases to google for
    would help a lot.

    Thanks,

    Frank

    --

    * Frank Neurath wrote:
    > Sorry for being a little unspecific.
    >
    > I am running a dedicated server on my linux notebook and would like to host
    > the games for a upcoming LAN-Party on this machine. To control the servers
    > behavior like mapchanges, roundtimes, friendly fire and other variables I
    > am looking for a graphical interface that runs on the same machine, so I
    > don't need to start another application on a client, i.e. my windoze
    > computer with CS:S running.
    >
    > So I think you guessed right, when you assumed the "rcon type tool".
    > Pointing me to some URLs or just give me some good phrases to google for
    > would help a lot.

    To be honest, if it were me, and I wasn't playing, I would just type
    commands directly into the linux ded server console.

    If I were playing, I would use an in-game control such as rcon, and bind
    some keys to common commands. In CSv1.6 (steam) I use amxmodx with
    admin plugins which give nice menus in-game. I think these sorts of
    things are still coming with CS:S, but have noticed a lot of people
    using the mani admin plugin :

    http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com/forums/portal.php

    I have not had a chance to implement it yet, but will attempt soon. It
    appears to give menu options for what you want while you can still play
    the game.

    There is some development going on here too:

    http://www.sourcemod.net

    For CSv1.6 there were some web browser interface type admin tools
    around, but personally I think that for lan party, if the server is
    there, why go through a web browser when you can be in the console
    itself. And if you have a linux laptop, I assume you are comfortable
    with command line interfaces.

    Good luck.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    <posted & mailed>

    Troy Piggins wrote:

    [snip]

    > To be honest, if it were me, and I wasn't playing, I would just type
    > commands directly into the linux ded server console.

    How do I activate / start a server console? So far I just start the server
    and do not have any influence. Which in fact was the main reason I was
    looking for such a tool.

    A command console is in fact all I want...

    Frank

    --
    The above email address does either not exist or is not accessible for me.
    In case you need to contact me, use:
    temp1.neu<my_first_name> att onlinehome.de
    Sorry, for the inconventience!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    * Frank Neurath wrote:
    >> To be honest, if it were me, and I wasn't playing, I would just type
    >> commands directly into the linux ded server console.
    >>

    > How do I activate / start a server console? So far I just start the server
    > and do not have any influence. Which in fact was the main reason I was
    > looking for such a tool.
    >
    > A command console is in fact all I want...

    ?? I don't understand - how do you start the server on your linux box?

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    <posted & mailed>

    Troy Piggins wrote:

    > * Frank Neurath wrote:
    >>> To be honest, if it were me, and I wasn't playing, I would just type
    >>> commands directly into the linux ded server console.
    >>>

    >> How do I activate / start a server console? So far I just start the
    >> server and do not have any influence. Which in fact was the main reason I
    >> was looking for such a tool.
    >>
    >> A command console is in fact all I want...
    >
    > ?? I don't understand - how do you start the server on your linux box?

    I start ./srcds in a shell and after it is up I just get the output of the
    program in the same shell. The only interactivity is using CTRL-C to stop
    the process.
    So there is no interactive console after it is running.

    Frank

    --
    The above email address does either not exist or is not accessible for me.
    In case you need to contact me, use:
    temp1.neu<my_first_name> att onlinehome.de
    Sorry, for the inconventience!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    * Frank Neurath wrote:
    > I start ./srcds in a shell and after it is up I just get the output of the
    > program in the same shell. The only interactivity is using CTRL-C to stop
    > the process.
    > So there is no interactive console after it is running.

    Have you tried typing 'status' in that shell window. YOu will find that
    is the console you are after. All server commands are typed in there.

    Does the output look something like this? :

    [troy@xxxxxxxxx:srcds_l]$ ./srcds_run -game cstrike +maxplayers 20
    +map de_dust
    Auto detecting CPU
    Using AMD Optimised binary.
    Auto-restarting the server on crash

    Console initialized.
    Network: IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, mode MP, dedicated Yes, ports 27015 SV / 27005
    CL
    Attempted to create unknown entity type event_queue_saveload_proxy!
    Game .dll loaded for "Counter-Strike: Source"
    maxplayers set to 20
    Executing dedicated server config file
    Server logging enabled.
    Server logging data to file logs/L0222000.log
    L 02/22/2005 - 07:22:12: Log file started (file "logs/L0222000.log")
    (game "/usr/local/games/srcds_l/cstrike") (version "2260")
    Unknown command "mp_logfile"
    Unknown command "mp_logecho"
    Unknown command "log_level"
    Adding master server 69.28.151.178:27011
    Adding master server 207.173.177.12:27011

    Try typing 'status' :

    status
    hostname: |cA: Clan CS:S Server
    build : 2260
    udp/ip : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:27015
    map : de_dust at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
    players : 0 (20 max)

    # userid name uniqueid connected ping loss state adr

    If you get similar you will find any server commands can be typed in
    here. If not, you must be sending the server to the background. I
    suggest you don't do that, but rather use 'screen' to do it. You can
    recall it easily with screen.

    Do you have 'screen' installed? It is a really cool program. What
    linux you running?

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e : usenet@piggo.com

    <posted & mailed>

    Troy Piggins wrote:

    > * Frank Neurath wrote:
    >> I start ./srcds in a shell and after it is up I just get the output of
    >> the program in the same shell. The only interactivity is using CTRL-C to
    >> stop the process.
    >> So there is no interactive console after it is running.
    >
    > Have you tried typing 'status' in that shell window. YOu will find that
    > is the console you are after. All server commands are typed in there.
    >
    > Does the output look something like this? :

    [snip]

    WOW, thanks for the hint! I would have never discovered this. The prompt (=
    output on the screen) takes a couple of seconds after it is displayed in
    the shell, but it works!

    > Do you have 'screen' installed? It is a really cool program. What
    > linux you running?

    I have screen installed and will set up the system as described in several
    pages I found. BTW: I am running SuSE Linux on my Vaio Notebook.

    Thanks again!

    Frank

    --
    The above email address does either not exist or is not accessible for me.
    In case you need to contact me, use:
    temp1.neu<my_first_name> att onlinehome.de
    Sorry, for the inconventience!
  9. They offer amazing freebsd dedicated servers, And you can add more traffic at any time.

Dedicated Server Linux Video Games