Newbie's question about RAM

June 10, 2004 1:12:43 PM

I don't have a PocketPC yet.

1. I've read that I have to reinstall all software installed in RAM when
the battery is drain.
Does it mean that I should better go to standby when the batter is ..
let me say... at 10%?
I switch off (standby) the handheld at 10% of battery power,
don't charge .. 2 days and all my RAM is maybe gone? ...

Ain't it better to install all software to a memory card? Is it even
possible?

2. Is it possible to switch off the handheld so that it has NO memory
consumption.
What about the RAM then.. it must be lost when the RAM is not feed.

3. Is it possible to configure Pocket Outlook (and other Pocket stuff)
to use the memory card for the data files?

4. How long approx. can a handheld (HP2210) remain in standby without
being charged so that the data is not lost?

5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
(Owner info and all that stuff)

I'm afraid of the RAM stuff because my laptop's LIon battery has gone in
less than 2 years.
I could use the laptop for almost 3 hours after fully charged and now
it's gone after 15 minutes;) When I'll have a PocketPC I'll be scared to
have it in standby at all..:) )

thanks for your time
ProJee

More about : newbie question ram

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 6:06:36 PM

> 1. I've read that I have to reinstall all software installed in
RAM when
> the battery is drain.
> Does it mean that I should better go to standby when the batter
is ..
> let me say... at 10%?
Yes, that's correct.

> I switch off (standby) the handheld at 10% of battery power,
> don't charge .. 2 days and all my RAM is maybe gone? ...
Correct too.

> Ain't it better to install all software to a memory card? Is it
even
> possible?
It is possible but most programs make some entries in the
registry. So if the battery is drained completely and it has lost
its RAM-contents, the registry will also be set back to original.
So re-installment is due anyway in abt. 90% of the cases.

> 2. Is it possible to switch off the handheld so that it has NO
memory
> consumption.
No, it will use some power to keep the RAM-contents in shape.

> What about the RAM then.. it must be lost when the RAM is
not feed.
That's why it will always consume some power.

> 3. Is it possible to configure Pocket Outlook (and other Pocket
stuff)
> to use the memory card for the data files?
Don't know. Haven't tried that. (sorry)

> 4. How long approx. can a handheld (HP2210) remain in standby
without
> being charged so that the data is not lost?
Gee, nice question, Never tried it out... yet. ;-)

> 5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
> (Owner info and all that stuff)
Don't know, didn't use back-up yet. It seems that the back-up
procedure has some flaws, and for me it was much faster and
easier just to reinstall the few programms I use and resync data
with my desktop-calendar.

> I'm afraid of the RAM stuff because my laptop's LIon battery
has gone in
> less than 2 years.
> I could use the laptop for almost 3 hours after fully charged
and now
> it's gone after 15 minutes;) When I'll have a PocketPC I'll be
scared to
> have it in standby at all..:) )
Well, euh, yes, batteries also have a limited lifespan. But I
have my 2210 for abt. 8 months now, and with some energy-saving
behaviour (use sound as little as possible, reduced backlight...)
I manage to work on it continually for abt. 7 hours without
problems, so you do have a bit of breathing room on that point.
Still, it stays best to keep the machine in its cradle as much as
possible when you don't use it for a longer period. Whenever
possible of course.

In spite of all its limitations and what may seem inconvenient
aspects it still is a real nice piece of equipment to work with.

I hope this helps you a bit further with your questions.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 6:32:25 PM

Let's begin by saying that the answer to all your questions is YES, in all
cases. Now let's get into details:

> 1. I've read that I have to reinstall all software installed in RAM when
> the battery is drain. Does it mean that I should better go to standby when
the batter is ..
> let me say... at 10%?

Yes, surely.

> I switch off (standby) the handheld at 10% of battery power,
> don't charge .. 2 days and all my RAM is maybe gone? ...

Yes, the device continues to consume battery when it is turned off.

> Ain't it better to install all software to a memory card? Is it even
> possible?

It is better and it is possible, but that wouldn't solve the problem, since
the registry keys and the menu links, which are in RAM, would disappear.

> 2. Is it possible to switch off the handheld so that it has NO memory
> consumption. What about the RAM then.. it must be lost when the RAM is not
feed.

Again yes, the RAM is lost if it is not fed. That's why you can't switch it
off in such a way that there is no power consumption.

> 3. Is it possible to configure Pocket Outlook (and other Pocket stuff)
> to use the memory card for the data files?

Yes, Pocket Office can be configured to save by default in the card, and
Pocket Outlook can be configure to save email attachments to card... however
the databases of Contacts, Calendar, etc are always on memory.

> 4. How long approx. can a handheld (HP2210) remain in standby without
> being charged so that the data is not lost?

From a completely full battery, around 2 weeks. But that varies from device
to device.

> 5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
> (Owner info and all that stuff)

Yes.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"ProJee" <projee@metacreations.orgg> wrote in message
> I don't have a PocketPC yet.
>
> 1. I've read that I have to reinstall all software installed in RAM when
> the battery is drain.
> Does it mean that I should better go to standby when the batter is ..
> let me say... at 10%?
> I switch off (standby) the handheld at 10% of battery power,
> don't charge .. 2 days and all my RAM is maybe gone? ...
>
> Ain't it better to install all software to a memory card? Is it even
> possible?
>
> 2. Is it possible to switch off the handheld so that it has NO memory
> consumption.
> What about the RAM then.. it must be lost when the RAM is not feed.
>
> 3. Is it possible to configure Pocket Outlook (and other Pocket stuff)
> to use the memory card for the data files?
>
> 4. How long approx. can a handheld (HP2210) remain in standby without
> being charged so that the data is not lost?
>
> 5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
> (Owner info and all that stuff)
>
> I'm afraid of the RAM stuff because my laptop's LIon battery has gone in
> less than 2 years.
> I could use the laptop for almost 3 hours after fully charged and now
> it's gone after 15 minutes;) When I'll have a PocketPC I'll be scared to
> have it in standby at all..:) )
>

> thanks for your time
> ProJee
June 10, 2004 6:51:15 PM

thanks a lot
:)

Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices wrote:
> Let's begin by saying that the answer to all your questions is YES, in all
> cases. Now let's get into details:
>

>>1. I've read that I have to reinstall all software installed in RAM when
>>the battery is drain. Does it mean that I should better go to standby when
>
> the batter is ..
>
>>let me say... at 10%?
>

> Yes, surely.
>

>>I switch off (standby) the handheld at 10% of battery power,
>>don't charge .. 2 days and all my RAM is maybe gone? ...
>

> Yes, the device continues to consume battery when it is turned off.
>

>>Ain't it better to install all software to a memory card? Is it even
>>possible?
>

> It is better and it is possible, but that wouldn't solve the problem, since
> the registry keys and the menu links, which are in RAM, would disappear.
>

>>2. Is it possible to switch off the handheld so that it has NO memory
>>consumption. What about the RAM then.. it must be lost when the RAM is not
>
> feed.
>
> Again yes, the RAM is lost if it is not fed. That's why you can't switch it
> off in such a way that there is no power consumption.
>

>>3. Is it possible to configure Pocket Outlook (and other Pocket stuff)
>>to use the memory card for the data files?
>

> Yes, Pocket Office can be configured to save by default in the card, and
> Pocket Outlook can be configure to save email attachments to card... however
> the databases of Contacts, Calendar, etc are always on memory.
>

>>4. How long approx. can a handheld (HP2210) remain in standby without
>>being charged so that the data is not lost?
>

> From a completely full battery, around 2 weeks. But that varies from device
> to device.
>

>>5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
>>(Owner info and all that stuff)
>

> Yes.

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 6:59:24 PM

[posted and mailed]

On 10 Jun 2004, ProJee <projee@metacreations.orgg> wrote in
microsoft.public.pocketpc:

> 5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
> (Owner info and all that stuff)

ProJee,

In my experience (with the 2 Pocket-PC's I've owned now), the backup and
restore utilities provided work quite well. Restoring from a *full* backup
results in the Pocket-PC being in a state almost exactly as it was backed
up. All the owner info was there, custom connections, 3rd party apps.,
etc., etc.

I only noticed minor bits of data being lost after the restore... only on
sensitive 3rd party software apps. One example which comes to mind was
with "InkSpot Newsreader" I use on my Pocket-PC. After a full restore I
noticed all of the messages in the newsgroups I was subscribed to were
cleared out and needed to be refreshed. But all other program settings
were otherwise intact.

The backup utility in my Toshiba e805 Pocket-PC has an automatic backup
setting, so I've configured it to do a full backup at 1:00am every Sunday
morning to an installed SD card. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have it set
to do a full backup every night for extra safety. It simply overwrites the
old backup file so no regular attention is required on the user's part. It
only take a few minutes to execute the full backup.

Regards,

John L.
June 10, 2004 8:10:07 PM

ProJee wrote:

> thanks a lot
> :)

My 2210 has a built in backup battery. Check in the power options and
see if yours does too.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 9:22:36 PM

> 1. I've read that I have to reinstall all software installed in RAM when
> the battery is drain.
> Does it mean that I should better go to standby when the battery is ..
> let me say... at 10%?
Correct.

> I switch off (standby) the handheld at 10% of battery power,
> don't charge .. 2 days and all my RAM is maybe gone? ...
Correct again.

> Ain't it better to install all software to a memory card? Is it even
> possible?
It is possible, that is: for almost every program. But most software also
adds to or alters the registry. And that is kept in RAM. So, after a
battery-drain, the registry is put back to original, which requires all
soft to be reinstalled. So all you gain with installing on memcard is
system memory.

> 2. Is it possible to switch off the handheld so that it has NO memory
> consumption.
No.

> What about the RAM then.. it must be lost when the RAM is not feed.
That's why I just answered: no.

> 3. Is it possible to configure Pocket Outlook (and other Pocket stuff)
> to use the memory card for the data files?
Don't know, didn't try that (yet).

> 4. How long approx. can a handheld (HP2210) remain in standby without
> being charged so that the data is not lost?
I have no idea. Didn't try that out either. Few days at the least....

> 5. Can ALL the settings be recovered from backup?
> (Owner info and all that stuff)
Again: don't know. I even don't bother to back up. It has proven sufficient
enough for me to reinstall the few programs I use and then resync with my
desktop-PIM to get my data back into my PPC.

> I'm afraid of the RAM stuff because my laptop's LIon battery has gone in
> less than 2 years.
> I could use the laptop for almost 3 hours after fully charged and now
> it's gone after 15 minutes;) When I'll have a PocketPC I'll be scared to
> have it in standby at all..:) )
Well, batteries do have a life-limit, that's true. But the modern batteries
(Li-ion) are good, and last long. I have my iPaq for abt. 8 months now and,
with some smart settings (hardly use sound, reduced backlight....) I can
use my 2210 constantly for abt. 7 hours without exhausting the battery.
But whenever I don't plan to use it for longer time, or when I get home, I
put it in the cradle connected to power supply to keep the battery loaded.
Besides: if your main use is as an agenda, the data you keep in your PPC
will be in your PIM on the desktop too, in which case you always have an
automated back-up there.

I hope to have been of some help.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 1:36:31 PM

Hi,

That's great! Newbie is happy:)
I didn't even know the backup can be done without PC, just from the RAM
to the memory card.

Two more questions and you're never gonna hear about me, at least not
asking:)

1.
is this how the backup works: ?
- the scheduled time comes
- the handheld is awakened from stand-by
- the backup software makes its job
- the handheld gets to stand-by again
(after some time or immediately or..?:)

2.
When I buy a Pocket PC, do I need to buy some other stuff for
synchronization?
Is the synchronization cable (or whatever it is) in the box being a
standard equipment?

I don't want to buy a cradle because it's 1/4 of the price of handheld
here..:(

for projee=1 to untilTired
say "thanks"
next