ASUS A7N8X Delux BIOS upgrade problem

Hi

System - AMD 3000+, WinXP Pro (ntfs), ASUS A7N8X Delux M/B.

I am trying to upgrade my ASUS A7N8X Delux BIOS from revision 1006 to what
seems to be the latest revision 1007. The M/B is PCB rev 2.0.

I download the correct BIOS - c18d1007.bin and AWDFLASH
utility, put them on a bootable floppy disk (as per instructions). I also
copy them to a small FAT32 partition on my HDD

I boot to the floppy and type 'C:/' at the prompt to go to my small FAT 32
partition. If I do a 'dir' I see the awdflash utility and my new bios.

I run the flash utility, it asks me for the 'Filename to program', I type
in 'c18d1007.bin'. It then asks me if I want to save the old one - I type
'Y' and save it as old.bin succesfully.

I then press 'Y' to program.

At this point the system just freezes - it
doesn't write anything to the new bios (I can still reboot and run my OS).

Why does it not write the new BIOS? Is there a setting in the current BIOS
which prevents writing over the old one?

Cheers
Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about asus a7n8x delux bios upgrade problem

    "Steve" <sd_turnbull@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > System - AMD 3000+, WinXP Pro (ntfs), ASUS A7N8X Delux M/B.
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade my ASUS A7N8X Delux BIOS from revision 1006 to what
    > seems to be the latest revision 1007. The M/B is PCB rev 2.0.
    >
    > I download the correct BIOS - c18d1007.bin and AWDFLASH
    > utility, put them on a bootable floppy disk (as per instructions). I also
    > copy them to a small FAT32 partition on my HDD
    >
    > I boot to the floppy and type 'C:/' at the prompt to go to my small FAT 32
    > partition. If I do a 'dir' I see the awdflash utility and my new bios.
    >
    > I run the flash utility, it asks me for the 'Filename to program', I type
    > in 'c18d1007.bin'. It then asks me if I want to save the old one - I type
    > 'Y' and save it as old.bin succesfully.
    >
    > I then press 'Y' to program.
    >
    > At this point the system just freezes - it
    > doesn't write anything to the new bios (I can still reboot and run my OS).
    >
    > Why does it not write the new BIOS? Is there a setting in the current BIOS
    > which prevents writing over the old one?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Steve

    Sounds like it may be looking for a place to write the old BIOS
    and having trouble finding the right place to put it. Assuming that
    your "small FAT32 partition" has at least another 600megs or so,
    and that AWDFLASH failed to use the current directory as is
    normal, it may have been programmed to use the A: drive
    exclusively.

    I usually do it from the floppy and swap out another formatted
    floppy when it's time to save the old BIOS. It was much easier
    when the BIOS was small enough to fit more than one on a
    floppy.

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Steve" <sd_turnbull@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > System - AMD 3000+, WinXP Pro (ntfs), ASUS A7N8X Delux M/B.
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade my ASUS A7N8X Delux BIOS from revision 1006 to what
    > seems to be the latest revision 1007. The M/B is PCB rev 2.0.
    >
    > I download the correct BIOS - c18d1007.bin and AWDFLASH
    > utility, put them on a bootable floppy disk (as per instructions). I also
    > copy them to a small FAT32 partition on my HDD
    >
    > I boot to the floppy and type 'C:/' at the prompt to go to my small FAT 32
    > partition. If I do a 'dir' I see the awdflash utility and my new bios.
    >
    > I run the flash utility, it asks me for the 'Filename to program', I type
    > in 'c18d1007.bin'. It then asks me if I want to save the old one - I type
    > 'Y' and save it as old.bin succesfully.
    >
    > I then press 'Y' to program.
    >
    > At this point the system just freezes - it
    > doesn't write anything to the new bios (I can still reboot and run my OS).
    >
    > Why does it not write the new BIOS? Is there a setting in the current BIOS
    > which prevents writing over the old one?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Steve

    Sounds like it may be looking for a place to write the old BIOS
    and having trouble finding the right place to put it. Assuming that
    your "small FAT32 partition" has at least another 600megs or so,
    and that AWDFLASH failed to use the current directory as is
    normal, it may have been programmed to use the A: drive
    exclusively.

    I usually do it from the floppy and swap out another formatted
    floppy when it's time to save the old BIOS. It was much easier
    when the BIOS was small enough to fit more than one on a
    floppy.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Make certain your boot floppy is not loading himem.sys or emm386.

    Also, when asked to save the old BIOS, provide a fully qualified path
    to the destination file (i.e., c:\oldbios.bin).

    Boot floppies can be conveniently created using the images at
    www.bootdisk.com
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "Steve" <sd_turnbull@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Hi
    |
    | System - AMD 3000+, WinXP Pro (ntfs), ASUS A7N8X Delux M/B.
    |
    | I am trying to upgrade my ASUS A7N8X Delux BIOS from revision 1006
    to what
    | seems to be the latest revision 1007. The M/B is PCB rev 2.0.
    |
    | I download the correct BIOS - c18d1007.bin and AWDFLASH
    | utility, put them on a bootable floppy disk (as per instructions). I
    also
    | copy them to a small FAT32 partition on my HDD
    |
    | I boot to the floppy and type 'C:/' at the prompt to go to my small
    FAT 32
    | partition. If I do a 'dir' I see the awdflash utility and my new
    bios.

    | I run the flash utility, it asks me for the 'Filename to program', I
    type
    | in 'c18d1007.bin'. It then asks me if I want to save the old one - I
    type
    | 'Y' and save it as old.bin succesfully.
    |
    | I then press 'Y' to program.
    |
    | At this point the system just freezes - it
    | doesn't write anything to the new bios (I can still reboot and run
    my OS).

    | Why does it not write the new BIOS? Is there a setting in the
    current BIOS
    | which prevents writing over the old one?
    |
    | Cheers
    | Steve

    It is easier to flash the BIOS from the floppy
    by using the Built-inAwasrdBIOS flash utility.

    See item 4.1.2. in your motherboard's manual.

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > System - AMD 3000+, WinXP Pro (ntfs), ASUS A7N8X Delux M/B.
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade my ASUS A7N8X Delux BIOS from revision 1006 to what
    > seems to be the latest revision 1007. The M/B is PCB rev 2.0.

    http://www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html#BIOS_Flash

    Ben

Asus BIOS Motherboards