General question about jumpers

I have a very general question about jumpers. In the handbook of my A7N8X-X
every PIN is described exactly. For example, for the speaker connector it
exactly says which PIN is +5V, which ones are Ground and which one is
Speaker. However, on the 4-PIN connector cable one this information is not
given. Does is _not_ make any difference which way I connect the cable;
after all, there are two possibilities? If the way I connect the cable _is_
important, how do I know how to do it (except for trial and error)?

Thanks,
Matthias

Der Andere wrote:
> Ok, but I have this issue in most of the jumpers I have connected, the

Can I point out to you that when you connect a cable to the motherboard, you
are connecting a cable to a motherboard header. Jumpers are used to short
two (or more) pins together. Yes, the connectors are similar, but the whole
idea is different.

> speakers was only an example.

Technically directional, but practically either way will be fine.

> I also have the Power LED,

Directional, since it's a Diode.

> the ATX Power Switch, the Reset Switch

Both momentary switches... either direction is fine it's the (short)
connection you're looking for.

> and a harddisk connector.

Again, and LED (diode) and thus directional. If you plug a diode in the
wrong way around, it won't work. You won't break it by doing this, it's
completely safe to try a hit and miss approach. (connecting the wrong pins
together is a completely different thing altogether and could break things).

> My computer sometimes
> simply crashes (resets itself, tries to reboot and then halts). I wondered
> whether this could be due to some jumpers connected in a wrong way.

Maybe. But cables connected the wrong way around is unlikely to cause you
stability problems.

I would suggest checking your temperatures, if they are ok, replace your PSU
with a better one.

> I know
> there could be many other reasons for this occuring, but I really tried
> many other things before and just wasn't sure about that jumper-issue. A
> friend of mine told me that his computer was not stable until he changed
> (rotated 180 degrees) some jumpers.

Thats ridiculous. Thats like saying my speakers sound better when I use the
wires the other way round. It might be true, but it will not be a direct
result of turning the jumper around, it will be an indirect result of
correcting a bad connection either on the jumper or something else.

Ben

legend

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Ben Pope wrote:

> Der Andere wrote:
>
>>Ok, but I have this issue in most of the jumpers I have connected, the
>

> Can I point out to you that when you connect a cable to the motherboard, you
> are connecting a cable to a motherboard header. Jumpers are used to short
> two (or more) pins together. Yes, the connectors are similar, but the whole
> idea is different.
>

>>speakers was only an example.
>

> Technically directional, but practically either way will be fine.
>

>>I also have the Power LED,
>

> Directional, since it's a Diode.
>

>>the ATX Power Switch, the Reset Switch
>

> Both momentary switches... either direction is fine it's the (short)
> connection you're looking for.
>

>>and a harddisk connector.
>

> Again, and LED (diode) and thus directional. If you plug a diode in the
> wrong way around, it won't work. You won't break it by doing this, it's
> completely safe to try a hit and miss approach. (connecting the wrong pins
> together is a completely different thing altogether and could break things).
>

>>My computer sometimes
>>simply crashes (resets itself, tries to reboot and then halts). I wondered
>>whether this could be due to some jumpers connected in a wrong way.
>

> Maybe. But cables connected the wrong way around is unlikely to cause you
> stability problems.
>
> I would suggest checking your temperatures, if they are ok, replace your PSU
> with a better one.
>

>>I know
>>there could be many other reasons for this occuring, but I really tried
>>many other things before and just wasn't sure about that jumper-issue. A
>>friend of mine told me that his computer was not stable until he changed
>>(rotated 180 degrees) some jumpers.
>

> Thats ridiculous. Thats like saying my speakers sound better when I use the
> wires the other way round. It might be true, but it will not be a direct
> result of turning the jumper around, it will be an indirect result of
> correcting a bad connection either on the jumper or something else.
>
> Ben
Or... my stereo speakers sound better when I listen to the right speaker
with my left ear and the left speaker with my right ear

In article <sTOtc.15351$L.12555@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Legend
<ISO-teric@ISOLated.com> writes
>Ben Pope wrote:
>
>> Der Andere wrote:
(snip snip)

>>>I know
>>>there could be many other reasons for this occuring, but I really tried
>>>many other things before and just wasn't sure about that jumper-issue. A
>>>friend of mine told me that his computer was not stable until he changed
>>>(rotated 180 degrees) some jumpers.
>>

>> Thats ridiculous. Thats like saying my speakers sound better when I use the
>> wires the other way round. It might be true, but it will not be a direct
>> result of turning the jumper around, it will be an indirect result of
>> correcting a bad connection either on the jumper or something else.
>>
>> Ben
>Or... my stereo speakers sound better when I listen to the right speaker
>with my left ear and the left speaker with my right ear

I can confirm that this jumper is very uncomfortable, and looks silly,
when I turn it round.
--
Roger Hunt

Roger Hunt wrote:
> I can confirm that this jumper is very uncomfortable, and looks silly,
> when I turn it round.

:)

Ben