Random Reboots

My computer has started to reboot randomly over the last 4 weeks. The computer had been running well for the previous 4 months with absolutely no issues.
Specs:
-ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
-Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
-1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
-80 GB WD HDD
-ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 8x AGP Video
-Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Sony DVD/CR-RW
-Sony DVD/DVR-R

History
-After a series of random reboots and numerous failed attempts to fix the problem I reinstalled XP PRO SP1 after reformatting the drive. It seems as though the problems started after some Service Packs were loaded. The previous version of Windows was XP PRO, all service packs were loaded via Windows update.
-I have tried both older versions of the ATI display drivers and the latest version from their web site.
-The problem does not seem to be related to heat. I have been monitoring the temperature very closely. The cpu and memory remain very close to 30 deg C. when not under heavy load. The computer has rebooted several times at this temp.
-I have run a load test/burn-in test several times (from passmark.com) successfully. When the computer was under heavy stress it performed well. In fact, it seems to do better when under heavy loads. I have yet to be able to replicate the problem under a heavy load.
- I have mini dumps available.
- I am currently trying to narrow down the problem by removing hardware.

I am an IT professional with over 9 years of experience, but I am stumped!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
4 answers Last reply
More about random reboots

    A few other bits of info:
    - The 2 most common error message that I have seen (after turning off the auto-restart) are
    "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA"
    - I have also run the diagnostics that came with the hard drive. No problems were found.

    /Matt R./ said:

    > A few other bits of info:
    > - The 2 most common error message that I have seen (after turning off the auto-restart) are
    > "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA"
    > - I have also run the diagnostics that came with the hard drive. No problems were found.

    Drop in here...
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    Sorry, no real ideas, except, and I'm sure you have thought of this anyway
    given your background, but seing as you haven't mentioned it: I assume you
    have scanned for any viruses? Some of those will cause random re-boots...

    Regards,

    ChrisM

    "Matt R." <mr9649@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has started to reboot randomly over the last 4 weeks. The
    computer had been running well for the previous 4 months with absolutely no
    issues.
    > Specs:
    > -ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    > -Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
    > -1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
    > -80 GB WD HDD
    > -ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 8x AGP Video
    > -Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
    > -Sony DVD/CR-RW
    > -Sony DVD/DVR-R
    >
    > History
    > -After a series of random reboots and numerous failed attempts to fix the
    problem I reinstalled XP PRO SP1 after reformatting the drive. It seems as
    though the problems started after some Service Packs were loaded. The
    previous version of Windows was XP PRO, all service packs were loaded via
    Windows update.
    > -I have tried both older versions of the ATI display drivers and the
    latest version from their web site.
    > -The problem does not seem to be related to heat. I have been monitoring
    the temperature very closely. The cpu and memory remain very close to 30
    deg C. when not under heavy load. The computer has rebooted several times
    at this temp.
    > -I have run a load test/burn-in test several times (from passmark.com)
    successfully. When the computer was under heavy stress it performed well.
    In fact, it seems to do better when under heavy loads. I have yet to be
    able to replicate the problem under a heavy load.
    > - I have mini dumps available.
    > - I am currently trying to narrow down the problem by removing hardware.
    >
    > I am an IT professional with over 9 years of experience, but I am stumped!

    I am having the exact same issue with very similar hardware. I have:

    -ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    -Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
    -1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
    -120 GB WD HDD SATA
    -120 GB WD HDD SATA
    -ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 8x AGP Video
    -Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
    -Plextor PX708-A DVD writer

    The system reboots at random times, quite often at night when nothing
    should be going on. I have it clicked to NOT automatically reboot on
    system errors, but it does so anyway often. I don't recall the exact
    day this started, but my guess as well is a Windows update as the PC
    had been running for months with no issues at all. It wasn't uncommon
    for the PC to run for a month or more without needing a reboot.

    I have gone and updated my drivers for my DVD writer, my soundcard, my
    videocard, updated the motherboard BIOS and the problems still occur.
    The error messages point to a driver, but don't say which one.

    I run AVG anti-virus (paid version) and have scanned the system. I
    have scanned with trend micro's on-line scanner as well. I've scanned
    with spybot and ad-aware. I've run memtest86 and all seems fine.

    Any ideas on what this could be? And, is it possible to uninstall the
    lastest Microsoft updates?

    Thanks,
    Darren

    > "Matt R." <mr9649@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer has started to reboot randomly over the last 4 weeks. The
    > computer had been running well for the previous 4 months with absolutely no
    > issues.
    > > Specs:
    > > -ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    > > -Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
    > > -1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
    > > -80 GB WD HDD
    > > -ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 8x AGP Video
    > > -Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
    > > -Sony DVD/CR-RW
    > > -Sony DVD/DVR-R
    > >
    > > History
    > > -After a series of random reboots and numerous failed attempts to fix the
    > problem I reinstalled XP PRO SP1 after reformatting the drive. It seems as
    > though the problems started after some Service Packs were loaded. The
    > previous version of Windows was XP PRO, all service packs were loaded via
    > Windows update.
    > > -I have tried both older versions of the ATI display drivers and the
    > latest version from their web site.
    > > -The problem does not seem to be related to heat. I have been monitoring
    > the temperature very closely. The cpu and memory remain very close to 30
    > deg C. when not under heavy load. The computer has rebooted several times
    > at this temp.
    > > -I have run a load test/burn-in test several times (from passmark.com)
    > successfully. When the computer was under heavy stress it performed well.
    > In fact, it seems to do better when under heavy loads. I have yet to be
    > able to replicate the problem under a heavy load.
    > > - I have mini dumps available.
    > > - I am currently trying to narrow down the problem by removing hardware.
    > >
    > > I am an IT professional with over 9 years of experience, but I am stumped!

Computers Windows XP