P4P800/Flat Panel - Video Card Recommendation?

Howdy,

I've just put together a nice P4, 2.4 system on a P4P800. A relative has
gifted me with a beautiful Dell flat panel

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?
TabPage=techspecs&sku=320-1578&category_id=4009&c=us&l=en&cs=19

or

http://tinyurl.com/2quaw

and I'd like to find a solid video card with digital output that I can
use. I'm not a gamer so I don't believe 3D is a big priority. Most of
my priorities center around graphic and video editing, and standard apps
like the Office suite. And the Freecell games I seem to play
incessantly.

Suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA,

Bubba

--
-----

reply addy: xmanore A T hotmail D O T com
3 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 flat panel video card recommendation

    Bubba Yarfkowitz wrote:

    > and I'd like to find a solid video card with digital output that I can
    > use. I'm not a gamer so I don't believe 3D is a big priority. Most of
    > my priorities center around graphic and video editing, and standard apps
    > like the Office suite. And the Freecell games I seem to play
    > incessantly.

    I would consider a Matrox G550 or - more expensive - a Matrox P650 or
    - cheaper - a Radeon 9xxx (by Asus, Sapphire or...).

    Roy

    --
    This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties
    and confers no rights.

    In article <2hk3csFdbnrbU1@uni-berlin.de>, Roy Coorne
    <rcoorne@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Bubba Yarfkowitz wrote:
    >
    > > and I'd like to find a solid video card with digital output that I can
    > > use. I'm not a gamer so I don't believe 3D is a big priority. Most of
    > > my priorities center around graphic and video editing, and standard apps
    > > like the Office suite. And the Freecell games I seem to play
    > > incessantly.
    >
    > I would consider a Matrox G550 or - more expensive - a Matrox P650 or
    > - cheaper - a Radeon 9xxx (by Asus, Sapphire or...).
    >
    > Roy

    I've seen one post in this group, from people who aren't completely
    happy with their DVI experiences.

    Note in this post, the mention of _potential_ problems above 1280x1024
    resolution.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=sOGcnXzJFqqnoQ2jXTWcow%40speakeasy.net

    Since your panel is 1600x1200, you'd probably want to run it in its
    native resolution, and bump up the font size in Windows. This way,
    there is no resampling aliasing inside the monitor to spoil the
    display when run at slightly lower resolutions.

    This page hints at a 1280x1024 limit with a single TDMS link at
    165MHz. As a result, the video card should have a dual TDMS link
    on the DVI connector - I think that is how you get enough bandwidth
    for displays larger than that.

    http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

    Now, the tough part is finding a review of a video card, that
    actually evaluates the card in enough detail to know whether it
    has dual link or not.

    Don't take my word as gospel, but do try asking a few questions
    of both the panel vendor (does it have dual link at its end and
    what video card do you recommend) and the video card maker (does
    it have dual TDMS links on the DVI connector). No sense buying
    any old video card and finding that you can only use the analog
    output.

    Page 52 of this manual for the G450, shows what looks like a full
    two TDMS links. TDMS data 0,1,2 is one link worth of data and
    TDMS data 3,4,5 is the other link.

    http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/user_manuals/mill_g450/millg450_en.pdf

    The problem will be getting that kind of detail for more current
    video cards.

    I just looked at the back of my ATI branded 9800Pro and it seems
    to have the full DVI-I connector.

    HTH,
    Paul

    In article <nospam-2605041634180001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
    (Paul) wrote:

    > In article <2hk3csFdbnrbU1@uni-berlin.de>, Roy Coorne
    > <rcoorne@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Bubba Yarfkowitz wrote:
    > >
    > > > and I'd like to find a solid video card with digital output that I can
    > > > use. I'm not a gamer so I don't believe 3D is a big priority. Most of
    > > > my priorities center around graphic and video editing, and standard apps
    > > > like the Office suite. And the Freecell games I seem to play
    > > > incessantly.
    > >
    > > I would consider a Matrox G550 or - more expensive - a Matrox P650 or
    > > - cheaper - a Radeon 9xxx (by Asus, Sapphire or...).
    > >
    > > Roy
    >
    > I've seen one post in this group, from people who aren't completely
    > happy with their DVI experiences.
    >
    > Note in this post, the mention of _potential_ problems above 1280x1024
    > resolution.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=sOGcnXzJFqqnoQ2jXTWcow%40speakeasy.net

    > Since your panel is 1600x1200, you'd probably want to run it in its
    > native resolution, and bump up the font size in Windows. This way,
    > there is no resampling aliasing inside the monitor to spoil the
    > display when run at slightly lower resolutions.
    >
    > This page hints at a 1280x1024 limit with a single TDMS link at
    > 165MHz. As a result, the video card should have a dual TDMS link
    > on the DVI connector - I think that is how you get enough bandwidth
    > for displays larger than that.
    >
    > http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm
    >
    > Now, the tough part is finding a review of a video card, that
    > actually evaluates the card in enough detail to know whether it
    > has dual link or not.
    >
    > Don't take my word as gospel, but do try asking a few questions
    > of both the panel vendor (does it have dual link at its end and
    > what video card do you recommend) and the video card maker (does
    > it have dual TDMS links on the DVI connector). No sense buying
    > any old video card and finding that you can only use the analog
    > output.
    >
    > Page 52 of this manual for the G450, shows what looks like a full
    > two TDMS links. TDMS data 0,1,2 is one link worth of data and
    > TDMS data 3,4,5 is the other link.
    >
    > http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/user_manuals/mill_g450/millg450_en.pdf
    >
    > The problem will be getting that kind of detail for more current
    > video cards.
    >
    > I just looked at the back of my ATI branded 9800Pro and it seems
    > to have the full DVI-I connector.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    I was rereading this post, and dug out a calculator, and the numbers
    don't make sense. In fact, on the DVI connector, there is an
    up to 165MHz clock, but the data on a differential pair of pins
    runs at 10x that rate, and the coding is 80% efficient, so a full
    8 bits are delivered per clock. There is enough bandwidth for more
    than 1280x1024 - it really depends on the refresh rate selected.
    Now, I thought that LCD monitors only update the screen at a 60Hz
    rate, even when the refresh on the computer is set at up to 75Hz.
    Not really sure about that.

    There is a nice picture of the DVI sending data in this article
    and compares DVI to another interface type. This is to show
    the sending of 10 bits per clock cycle, and the fact that only
    eight bits are used for the purposes of updating the screen:

    http://www.national.com/nationaledge/may01/lvds.html
    http://www.national.com/nationaledge/may01/images/lvds_3(big).gif

    Page 6 of this document, shows what resolutions and refresh rates
    are possible with single and dual TDMS links.

    http://www.proxima.com/downloads/pdf/DVI-WhitePaper.pdf

    Display Single-Link DVI Dual-Link DVI
    60-Hz LCD with 1920x1080 HDTV 2048x1536 QXGA
    5% blanking Interval
    75-Hz CRT with approx 1280x1024 SXGA 2048x1536 QXGA
    15% blanking interval
    85-Hz CRT with approx 1280x1024 SXGA 1920x1080 HDTV
    15% blanking interval

    If you stay at 60-Hz refresh, I think 1920x1080 has roughly
    the same number of bits as 1600x1200, so a single TDMS link
    should be able to do it, assuming the cable is good quality.
    Sending a signal at 1650Mb/sec is roughly the same as sending
    signals to a SATA drive, and you cannot put a very long cable
    on SATA. Maybe the reason some people have problems, is the
    silicon on the video card is not capable of producing a clean
    signal at 1650Mb/sec. That is reasonably challenging for
    silicon (but is easy with Si-Ge).

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Graphics Cards Motherboards