DVD ROM / IDE Problem (5 IDE devices)

I have recently installed a second hard drive. I have
reinstalled Windows XP and now my DVD ROM will not
respond to any media. I did read on one of the Knowledge
Base that the problem might be that I now have 5/IDE
devices and that Windows XP only supports 4? I have 2 X
hard drives 1x DVD RW, 1 x DVD ROM and 1 x Floppy drive.
Can some one please point me in the right direction on
how I can reconfigure the system? Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

bar

Windows has the capacity to handle many Hard Drives + Optical Drives [hence drive letters C thru Z].

An IDE interface can only manage two physical drives: Hard Disk or Optical.

You have 4 drives [the floppy drive has another Interface], so make sure that they are respectively jumpered Master / Slave on the their Interface cables.

Thus you should have two Master Devices and Two Slaves with 2 Interface cables. Also make sure that the Master device is placed on the connector at the end of the cable. It is generally recommended that the Hard Disk Drive be set as Master with the Optical Drive as Slave.

You can download a great 'Installation Guide' at no cost from:

http://www.msi.com.tw/html/support/manual/note/quick_installation.pdf

Ian Bowden wrote:
> I have recently installed a second hard drive. I have
> reinstalled Windows XP and now my DVD ROM will not
> respond to any media. I did read on one of the Knowledge
> Base that the problem might be that I now have 5/IDE
> devices and that Windows XP only supports 4? I have 2 X
> hard drives 1x DVD RW, 1 x DVD ROM and 1 x Floppy drive.
> Can some one please point me in the right direction on
> how I can reconfigure the system? Any help will be
> greatly appreciated.

Since your problems began when you installed another IDE widget,
you should check the cabling and the jumpers on that IDE bus.

I'll guess that the DVD was set as the master and the HD you
installed was also set as the master, and no IDE can serve
two masters <g>. There are other ways to mis-cable and/or
mis-jumper, so double check everything.
--
Cheers, Bob

Floppy drives are NOT ide devices 99% of the time. I have 3 cd/dvd/ drives
and four hard drives on one of my pc's using a promise SATA controller for
the drives running XP.

JoBo