Sign in with
Your question

Installing Windows 7 from a DVD on a computer with no optical drive

Last response: in Windows 7
January 15, 2011 7:27:46 PM

Hello,

I ordered a custom computer with no opitcal drive, because I have a bluray player from an old system that I am going to add myself.

I would like to install Windows 7 on the new computer before I add anything to it, including the optical drive, so that I can see how it behaves exactly as it was built and shipped to me, incase something is wrong and I need to send it back.

So, is there a way that I can use my Windows 7 Professional DVD to install Windows 7 on a computer without a DVD drive? I have an external USB hard drive. I'm wondering if I can use my laptop to make a disc image of the Windows 7 DVD on the external hard drive and then use that image to install Windows from the external hard drive to the new computer? Or is there a way I could connect my laptop to the new desktop and let the desktop read from the laptop's DVD drive? What would be the easiest way to go about doing this, besides using an external USB DVD drive, which I don't have?

Thanks
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 8:11:15 PM

Before I would go through the trouble described in those links, I would invest $15 in a DVD player. Google gave me this idea.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 8:24:10 PM

You could simply connect the blue-ray drive without actually fitting it, just sit it on the desk during instalation. Plug in power and sata leads and power up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2011 8:31:47 PM

In retrospect, I didn't know it was possible to install a VM without windows 7 being present prior to any attempt. And yeah jonmor68, agree.
m
l
!